iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Little horse and a little Cajun = a lot of money at 50 to 1

Started by Banjo picker, May 02, 2009, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

What are you horse folks thoughts on that amazing come from behind.  And on a 9500 dollar horse .   I think he beat one that sold for 3 mil plus.  The way he ran that race my hats off to an amazing jocky and a pretty dang good horse.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

CLL

I think its great!! I used to train race horses and it does me good when the little guy beats the rich boys at their own game. I know Calvin Borel in person and he is what you see, just a plain guy.
Too much work-not enough pay.

DanG

MAN!  What a race those two fellows ran!!  Did y'all see the aerial shot of the last furlong?  He looked like a drug dealer running from the Highway Patrol!  I've watched a few horse races before, but I never saw one come from the back like that. :o :o

I thought that was pretty cool that the $9,500 horse won and the $3.7 million horse finished 18th.  Score one for the little guys! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

I started to not watch it myself.  I saw the track a couple of hours before the race, and it had me worried.  Talk about a soupy mess!  I was truly afraid that someone was going to get hurt.  I guess the preliminary races and all the tractor work they did really paid off, 'cause it was in pretty good shape by post time.

The Derby is the only sporting event that Linda gives a hoot about, so I came in and watched it with her.  I'm sure glad I did! :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brucer

Please note that it was a Canadian horse.  ;D ;D ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

moonhill

Brucer, can you expound?  I tried looking up the breed, do you mean Canadian Cheval?  Or was he from Canada, I saw on a list that he was foaled in Kentucky, and later raced in Canada. 

I thought it was a beautiful race, to come up from last and pull full ahead of the pack, no winning by a nose, clear cut.   And the name is fitting.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

bedway

I thought it was interesting that the owner didnt seem to friendly to the guy trying to interview him after the race. He didnt seem to partial to the establishment and even walked away from the interviewer in mid-question. Anyone else catch that?

Dan_Shade

that was amazing.

I'd imagine the owner was just tired of the hullaballoo (however that's spelled).

I like the triple crown series, don't follow the other stuff too much.

I'm glad that youtube is around, and that there is a lot of the old great races on there, I love to watch the Secretariat stuff, that horse was amazing, his Kentucky Derby record still stands at 1:59 2/5, Mine That Bird won yesterday at 2:02.66
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Hi-Country Orange

bedway  i seen a little of that ,but i think that guy was just the trainer ???

Gary_C

I think it was summed up well by one of the other horse owners when he said "those cowboys brought a DanG good horse!"  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hi-Country Orange

big money did'nt buy the best horse in that race at least, & i like it 8)

Warbird

I didn't get to watch it live but here is the youtube video.  Sorry dial-uppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv8x9x5A49s

CLL

First, I think the guy that walked away was the trainer and I understand that as when I trained I want to know my horse is ok then we can talk. Second, it's just like it has always been, if you don't have a horse that runs in Kentucky, California, New York, or Flordia, the attitude is that they are trash and the people that own them are likewise. Prime example is years ago I had a nice filly that could really run. I took her to Kentucky and run her at Churchill in a upper allowance race and she won by 5 lengths.  Everybody was patting me on the back telling me how nice a filly I had, then someone ask me where I lived and I said Alabama, The quote was "OH' and they just walked off.  Like I said it's just the attitude,personally I admire the trainer, owners, and Calvin, they realized they had a good horse and done what was necessary to get him in the derby. More power to them, and best of luck in the Belmont and Preakness
Too much work-not enough pay.

DanG

I'm not sure, but I think that was the owner AND trainer.  The TV guy was lucky to get an interview at all at that point.  The fellow was trying to get to the winners circle where he belonged.

Brucer

Quote from: moonhill on May 03, 2009, 07:11:45 AM
Brucer, can you expound? 

Well, kinda Canadian.  ;) Maybe half.
How do you decide the nationality of a race horse, anyway? ???

"... bred by Toronto's Peter Lamantia and American partners
  Needham/Betz Thoroughbreds and James Blackburn."

"...  once purchased by Canadian trainer-owner Dave Cotey
  for $9,500 US."

Here's a summary of his bloodlines ...

"While this year's Derby winner may be unknown to American bettors, his bloodlines are first-class.

By Birdstone, winner of the 2004 Belmont Stakes, and out of Mining My Own, Mine That Bird is a grandson of the great Canadian breeding stallion Smart Strike, who coming into this season had sired 56 stakes winners.

On his dam's side there's also Mr. Prospector, Classy and Smart and Vice Regent. His sire's background includes Unbridled, the 1990 Kentucky Derby and Breeder's Classic winner, and Storm Bird.

On both sides is great-great grandfather Northern Dancer, the 1964 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner from Canada, the top sire of all time and himself a small horse."

That was indeed some race. And don't we all love to cheer on underdog. Unless we happen to have backed the favourite.  ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sawmilllawyer

8) great race. I'm all for the underdog, always have been. Maybe too many feel good movies.  The interview if you want to call it that; was with the owner and he was irritated by  the TV personalities ( can't say what they really are, here) who repeatedly brought up the question about him traveling twelve hundred miles to be there. The owner simply stated that maybe after they stopped asking that question they could talk about something else. Made an outsider feel more like an outsider. The "media crowd" didn't do much to help the interview.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

ErikC

We saw it Sunday with mom and dad, and a couple other friends. Made my day, and worth another whiskey after it ran!! We re-played it a couple of times afterward on you-tube. It's still an exciting race even when you know the outcome. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

crtreedude

So, how did I end up here anyway?

WH_Conley

I bet somebody is sick that he is not a stallion anymore. :'(
Bill

Dan_Shade

can one of you horse smart folks explain why you would take the manhood away from a horse with that potential?

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

Say when

Dan_Shade

what were we talking about again?  i got distracted....

:D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ErikC

By the time the potential is fully realized, sometimes it's too late. There would be way too many stallions out there if we waited on them all to find out. Reminds me of what a vet I deal with a lot says to people with new colts who say they're sure he's the best horse ever. 

"Yeah, he's a beauty. Going to make an excellent gelding."
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!