iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Winch Cable End

Started by Tombstone, May 01, 2009, 11:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombstone

I am changing the winch cable on my clark 666b, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cable ends. Every guy I know ties the end in a knot and cuts it, I was just wondering if there was a better way, or an end that could be put on that would't leave that frayed mess? Some one else told me I would have to take it to a shop with my slides and have it done there?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Maineloggerkid

Alot of cables come with bells on the end. You just put your slides on before you put the cable on, the attach the cable, and your done. no knots, no frays, no mess.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Kodiakmac

It's easy to jury rig a bell and wedge set-up for the end of the mainline.  You just need a piece of hollow machine steel about 2 inches long with an interior diameter the same size as the mainline.   Put your chokers on the mainline, put your mainline end through the pice of steel and force some wedge-shaped slivers of steel in between the cable strands.  Hammer the piece down over the cable end.  It's the same principle as putting that wedge into the top end of an axe-handle to hold the head in place.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Tombstone

I appreciate the input! Funny how something kinda simple like that can make you scratch your head huh? It has been my understanding that the knob end goes into the slot on the drum to keep it from slipping, put your slides on and go from there. I found a cable wedge from A+W but its like 80$ for a 5/8". I have been looking because it just seemed there was a better way than a knot  ;D
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Maineloggerkid

Everyone around here uses the bell on the end to hold the slides on. We just tie the end in the winch drum. I don't know about Clarks, but on a Deere, there are to holes. I go up thru the left one, down thru the right one, then take the end over and thru the loop. ( I think ::), I usually just do it mindlessly, so I can't remember.)

gunman63

On my JD, i just went in one hole and out the other, never went thru the loop, never had it come out, but then i never had that  hard of a pull without at least one wrap on the drum

Maineloggerkid

I make use of all 100', so I want it to be good and secure.

Sawyerfortyish

On my Timberjack you put the cable through a hole on one side of the drum and come out a slot on the other and loop it back through the hole. Then before you pull the loop tight you place a teardrop shape steel plate in the loop and pull it tight. That puts pressure on the cable going into and around the loop and comming out of the hole. But before any of this is done always remember to put your sliders on the cable I learned this the hard way ::)

Tombstone

Yeah, I can see where not putting the sliders on first would be a bummer! ;D

arojay

I use a ferrule that has two spiral brass wedges for the terminal ends of my winchline.  I have ordered 5/8 from Bailey's.  I think the brand name is "Quik-Way" or something like it.  I like this method because you can knock it off or cut the cable to change your chokers and then put the ferrule on again.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Tombstone

arojay,

I will check that out, sounds like the way to go!

arojay

Yep, I use 5/8 on the dozer and have the same ferrules in 3/4 for the skidder.  OH&S doesn't let us use knots anymore.

Tombstone

I cant seem to find it in the Baileys catalog or on-line? Any ideas?

arojay

Seems to me that I phoned the toll free and spoke to a salesman.  I'll see if I still have one in the bag with a number.

arojay

Try asking for spiral ferrules.  I found an unused one but the Bailey's number was on the little ziploc they ship them in.  This one is pink, stamped LB5 and Canada so it is made by Robar Industries in B.C.. but I got them from Bailey's for sure.  ESCO also makes a spiral ferrule.  If you can't get some from Bailey's try an industrial supplier that sells wire rope.  I don't like the swaged ferrule or ball because it can only be used once.

4genlgr

Labonvilles has the ferrules  they have a web site and a store in gorham NH . the web site is LaBonville.com

Ed_K

Ron's Husky in newfane Vt. has them on the shelf,if your close?
Ed K

StorminN

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

arojay

arojay

Tombstone, it just occurred to me that you should make sure that your cable is one of the lays that is wound to the right because that is the way that those ferrule wedges are spiraled.  Left lay is pretty rare in my experience but worth a check.

Tombstone

arojay and everyone,

I appreciate all the help, I got the ferrule the other day. Labonville was the way to go!!! This site is great! You are all the best, I am ready to work!!

Thank You Sponsors!