iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stocking trout

Started by gary, May 01, 2009, 08:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary

I like to fish the steams in western Pennsylvania for trout.  Since I have been unemployed for the last month I have some free time. I decided I would go and help stock one of my favorite streams. I was surprised by how many people showed up to help. Two schools showed up with about 20 kids and there were about 20 other people there. We put about 2 or 3 thousand trout in the stream. This is a put and take thing this stream doesn't have native trout in it.   

This is the truck the trout come in.

Some of the kids that were helping.

Rainbow and brown trout

Float box for taking trout to a part of the stream that is to far to carry them in buckets.

Ironmower

Boy, that brings back memories :) I use to help stock trout in south central PA ( upper tonoloway creek & lickin' creek. Kinda gives you the upper hand when season starts 8) 8) 8)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

fishpharmer

Gary, thats pretty  cool, thanks for the pictures.  Its kind of a unusual concept, although I have heard of it being done in AR. 

How long do they wait before opening up  fishing? Is the fishing just for the kids? MS has a program where alot of channel catfish are stocked in a netted off area of a lake or a small pond just for a one day kids event. 

I suppose
If it opens for everyone you put fish in your favorite spot? ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gary

This was an in season stocking . Anyone can fish for them and at a couple of places there were people already there and fishing before we got there. I was disappointed when I saw how they were putting these ones in. They pulled up close to a bridge and would put them all in at one place, except for the one part of the stream where they did the float stocking. That area is managed by Trout Unlimited and is a delayed harvest artificial lure only area. You can't keep any trout you catch there until after labor day. The before season stockings they walk the streams and spread the fish out.   

fishpharmer

Very interesting.  I wonder if they could stock the fish, close the stream and open it up a year later.  Would the fish be twice as large?  Would they even make it?  Or would it take 24/7 gaurding to keep fisherman out?

When the state builds a new lake (or drains old one) they wait three years after restocking to allow fishing.  I don't think we have any fishing seasons per se.  Anyway one new lake, Calling Panther, had a new record lake record of 13 plus pounds for a Largemouth Bass.  The lake has only been open for a year or two.  So a four or five year old fish.

Are fee fishing ponds popular up in your area?  Just curious.

Got carried away with the questions.  Can you tell I like fish? (DanG done it again)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

They don't stock streams here, but they should. And possibly close fishing for 3 years. Many people poached the little brooks too death around here. Fifteen or 30, soon became 500 by summer's end with some characters. I've found several fish nets over the years at great fishing places, not so great anymore because of a bunch of knuckle heads.

Used to be a few "pay for fishing" on private ponds around, but that's pretty much dried up around here now. The blue herons sure love trout in them ponds. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironmower

Quote from: fishpharmer on May 02, 2009, 08:42:13 AM
Very interesting.  I wonder if they could stock the fish, close the stream and open it up a year later.  Would the fish be twice as large?  Would they even make it?  Or would it take 24/7 gaurding to keep fisherman out?

When the state builds a new lake (or drains old one) they wait three years after restocking to allow fishing.  I don't think we have any fishing seasons per se.  Anyway one new lake, Calling Panther, had a new record lake record of 13 plus pounds for a Largemouth Bass.  The lake has only been open for a year or two.  So a four or five year old fish.

Are fee fishing ponds popular up in your area?  Just curious.

Got carried away with the questions.  Can you tell I like fish? (DanG done it again)
Here are my answers last one first; Yes.....(2)only know of one(so thats a no).......(3)yes, armed......(4)they may live......(5)I guess, if the conditions are right ;) Maryland stocked the potomac river this year with walleye and several years ago they stocked it with tiger muskee.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

gary

To close the stream for a year after stocking wouldn't work here. These fish are raised in a hatchery they are from 7 to 20 inches long when stocked. Most of the streams here the trout won't breed in. The stream I helped stock has northern pike,crappie, sunfish, walleye and catfish in it.
The pay fishing here is popular. There just is not many places left that do it, because there are so many places we can fish for free. The last one that was here was bringing in 500 to 1000 people a day on weekends from march to may. This was for trout fishing.  It closed down because the neighbors were complaining about the amount of people and the parking. They had good reason to complain. This place was just a couple of ponds on about a 5 acre lot. The neighbors were only a few hundred yards apart.

ErikC

They stock some of our high country lakes here. Many are several miles into wilderness areas, and they are stocked by pack mule trains. I have done it a couple times, but got no digital pictures. The Backcounty Horseman club does it, with Fish and Game's oversight. There are special containers made for pack animals that they put the fish in which are battery bubbler equipped, it is several hours from truck to lake. They had used helicopter drops in the past, but mortality was much higher. They are smaller fish than in the earlier picture, but they grow.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!