iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

48' walking floor trailer and firewood

Started by barniescamp, April 30, 2009, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniescamp

do any of you guys know or heard of anyone hauling firewood in a 48' trailer with a walking floor[ live deck ], I'm asking this because somebody asked if I could produce and deliver approximately 400-500  face cords of firewood and the only way I see getting this much wood delivered in a timely matter is with a 48' walking floor trailer but I don't know any body who ever did it without the wood being on a pallet. I don't like the idea of the wood getting hung up inside the trailer as 40 face cord would take awhile to unload by hand.

bkellyvtme

My father worked for an outfit that delivered wood that way. It did get hung up every now and then.

Sawyerfortyish

I don't think you can haul 40 cord in 1 trailer. Since a cord of green cut wood weighs 5000+lbs per cord 40 cords would weigh 200,000lbs+. Don't get pulled over by the dot.
I would think that most of the wood on a walking floor would unload and you may have to kick a few pieces off that didn't.

chucker

? 40 cords on a 48 foot trailer? you talking thirds as a cord or how do you measure a cord? 220000 pounds sounds just a little heavy to me ....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

chucker

but to answer your question a live bottom farm wagon works good if you dont have far to go ... or maybe try a end dump ?
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

barniescamp

Sorry I ment face cord or 1/3 cord, I fixed the original post.

chucker

Gary_C

I would suspect that dropping firewood into a live floor trailer with a conveyor would be kind of hard on it. You could probably expect a lot of repairs and some unloading by hand.

If it was me, I'd look for someone to hire with a big end dump or one of those side dump trailers.

I wouldn't get to excited about big promises. That's a lot of firewood and don't forget firewood is just a commodity and they could get it from a lot of sources.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Wenrich

We do it on an almost daily basis.  Our trailer is 40' and we use it for firewood and hauling bark.  We use live bottom trailers that clean out like farm wagons for sawdust.  In the winter, those things can freeze up and you get a bunch of damage. 

We have used live bottom for firewood, and they work OK.  We used to load logs in the top and cut to length inside the trailer when the call was for cut and not split.  We have also put cut and split onto large piles and loaded trailers with knuckleboom loaders.  We no longer dry any wood in our yard. 

We use a MultiTek processor, which goes onto a conveyor and is dropped into the walking floor trailer.  We load about 9-10 cords per load, and that's plenty heavy. 

We've used the current one for about 4 years.  The last one lasted about 7-8 years before someone decided they wanted it more than we needed it.  They stole it right out of the yard.  Walking floor trailers are the preferred trailer for NY garbage haulers. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

anyone else trying to make up a joke about the walking floor trailer that suddenly just walked away ??? :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

treecuttingsob

i have hauled wood in mine from missouri to arizona a lot of times works good but will hang form time to time just walk the flore forward when it happens then back again

DanG

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 01, 2009, 07:01:58 AM
anyone else trying to make up a joke about the walking floor trailer that suddenly just walked away ??? :D :D :D

No, but Ernest Tubb did a song about walking a floor that was probably in a trailer. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Ok ya got me sthumped on the walking floor  ???   What is it .....  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rebocardo

Like a conveyor belt loop for a floor.

Ron Wenrich

Not really a conveyor belt.  There are 2 types that I have seen.  Our web type is large chains on each side of the truck, and it has paddles that are welded to each side.  The chain is advanced, and the load comes off that way.  That's what we used to use for firewood.  We even put loads of logs in these.  We currently use this for sawdust.

The other type has a slated floor that runs lenghtwise in the trailer.  These move back and forth and moves the load from front to back.  This is the type we are currently using for firewood and mulch. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SouthernRumRunner

They are different type of walking floors. I use keith walking floors on my chip trailers.There is another company called Mac who builds  different type of walking floors. check this video out  www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXIYtIFMyM&feature=related

beenthere

I see there are no conveyor belts there.

Looks like it would work fairly well.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

This link explains the "continuous belt floor" aka conveyor belt system.

http://www.jgpress.com/BCArticles/2001/050170B.html

This is the Keith Walking Floor others have mentioned

http://www.keithwalkingfloor.com/stationary_agriculture.html

justintimemoto

my neigbhor uses a walking floor for doing round bails works allrihgt you got to help them a little bit but it does good
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

wi woodcutter

I have used a end dump trailer for hauling wood, it works good.

Just make sure you raise it nice and slow and be on level hard ground.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

TwinCut

I saw somethink kind of neat last fall in Washington, they took a stinger pole type log trailer and took of the bunks. Then they mounted an open top sea can on the trailer that they had installed a walking floor in. The idea is that they can move around on bush roads a lot easier than with regular chip trailers. Seemed to work really good.

arojay

How do they dump, just open the barn doors?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

TwinCut

Yep, that's about it. The back doors open and the hydraulic system is kicked in and the material "shuffles" it's way out.

Thank You Sponsors!