iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pneumatic tired mill Lube?

Started by shinnlinger, April 27, 2009, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I have a share in a turner band mill which has trailer tires and has never been set up for blade lube.  It has made alot of timbers with no problems.

However, I ran into a woodmizer guy this winter and he insisted I would benefit a great deal from adding a lube system and my partner in the mill just went through several bands on a pitchy stick the other day so it got me thinking enough to ask about it here.

Would I benefit from a lube system?  I can't imagine one would be expensive to set up, but what are the pros and cons? and does anyone have any interesting homemade lubers they want to share?

I mill mostly white pine if that weighs into the equation.

Thanks.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

epiphoneprs

I use an old lawn mower gas tank and some clear tubing. Straight off-road diesel. No cons. All pros.

Fla._Deadheader

If you use trailer tires to run the blade on, use water and a tiny bit of liquid soap. Just a couple drops in a gallon of water.

Anything else will turn the tires to a slimy mess. Most mills use the back of v-belts to run the blade on, and diesel and more soap in the water will be fine, but, NOT on tires.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WH_Conley

Don't know anything about tires for bandwheels. White pine on My Wm is the nastiest wood that I have sawn as far as sap build up.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!