iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big log (with pictures!)

Started by VT_Forestry, April 27, 2009, 11:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Someone (not me, I found these on a Jeep forum I belong to) had a plan for a big log when they got it home...it was just the getting it home that proved to be the problem :)

hey, got it sittin on the trailer!

something looks...strained

take it off...
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Dodgy Loner

Wow, I guess they severely underestimated the weight of that log :D :D :D  If they had put it a little closer to the trailer axle, maybe they wouldn't have ruined the truck in the process of determining that the log was too heavy to haul ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

Guys look around, this has been posted several times on the forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

Really?  Guess it'll shortly be time to post that moose logging photo again, too.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

:D  Thats what this one has turned into. The v-8 chainsaw one too.

VT_Forestry

haha  my fault for not looking :)  i saw the pictures last night and was so amazed that I didn't even think about looking to see if it was posted first...don't really know what I'd search for to find it either? A few keywords come to mind but I don't think they're appropriate  :D  Feel free to remove...
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Jeff

In the one photo, the kid with the hardhat walking in front of the trailer, you can see he was the fork truck driver as you can just make out his hat and vest in the shot where he is loading the log. I can see he is young, and most certainly very new and inexperienced. I'm not even talking about the way he loaded the log. Look at the way he parked the fork truck in the photo where he is surveying the carnage.  You never leave your forks parked with the ends in the air like that. Good way to get someone seriously hurt. He got out in a hurry not knowing what to do next. 

LeeB

You're quite right about those forks. I've beeen nursing my back for 30 years from that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

I ran into one about half way to my knee years ago, left up by a greenie operator. I had jeans on and it still took the meat off to the bone. Man, that hurts for a bit.   If you left forks like that when the safety man was around, it was more then a warning the company got. There was zero tolerance for tipped up forks.

Ed

I've NEVER seen a truck frame flex the way that one did. Look at the gap between the cab & bed.  smiley_dizzy

That ain't a good thing.

Ed

LeeB

It really hurts when the forks are moving and you ain't.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Quote from: Ed on April 28, 2009, 01:52:33 PM
I've NEVER seen a truck frame flex the way that one did. Look at the gap between the cab & bed.  smiley_dizzy

I'd be willing to bet its because he dropped the log. Setting it down gently with an experienced operator would have shown it was not going to work. I've seen loading accidents over the years and I can almost play that one there out like a video in my head.

We had an old fart named Bill that worked at the mill that you could not tell a thing to. He was like a bull in a china shop on everything he did. I could tell many stories about the stunts he pulled, one almost killing me, but, thats a different story. He also was a friend of the boss, so he was allowed to be a dillweed.  One of his stunts was Telling another of his friends that he could load a 10 foot bundle of hardwood slabs in the guys pickup with the fork truck.  We NEVER loaded slabs in a pickup, but old Bill was going to impress his buddy and save him some work.

Needless to say, the bundle of slabs, slid off the forks, rolled, hit the inside of the truck box, and sprung it out at least 6 inches. Permanently.

olyman

Quote from: Jeff on April 28, 2009, 04:14:59 PM
Quote from: Ed on April 28, 2009, 01:52:33 PM

I'd be willing to bet its because he dropped the log. Setting it down gently with an experienced operator would have shown it was not going to work. I've seen loading accidents over the years and I can almost play that one there out like a video in my head.

We had an old fart named Bill that worked at the mill that you could not tell a thing to. He was like a bull in a china shop on everything he did. I could tell many stories about the stunts he pulled, one almost killing me, but, thats a different story. He also was a friend of the boss, so he was allowed to be a dillweed.  One of his stunts was Telling another of his friends that he could load a 10 foot bundle of hardwood slabs in the guys pickup with the fork truck.  We NEVER loaded slabs in a pickup, but old Bill was going to impress his buddy and save him some work.

Needless to say, the bundle of slabs, slid off the forks, rolled, hit the inside of the truck box, and sprung it out at least 6 inches. Permanently.
:D :D :D dont ya just love working around idiots like that????? >:( we had a few were i worked also. i tended to avoid them like the plague!!!!

Ironwood

If you guys have never seen your frame flex like that, then your just not working them hard enough. :D ;D

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rebocardo

> Look at the gap between the cab & bed

I saw someone lift a Chevy pickup truck with a heavy and fancy all steel utility body (probably loaded with plumbing supplies) on the back ... they had all four lift arms forward of the bed ... bent the thing so it looked like a cat arching it's back.   :D

Don't know how it got up there like that, but, guy wanted to lower the lift without supporting the rear  ::)

SwampDonkey

Seen a flex job on a brand new pickup to. Only weight was not involved, just a steep mound of dirt in the mouth of the road to a field to keep idiots out from rutting up the field. Well, one idiot thought he'd prove it. Went over the mound and on the way down the other side the bumper hangs on the mound and crimps the bed into the cab.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tree tech

Thanks for posting that ! Im new to the site and otherwise would not have seen it! Thanks tt

Bowtie

Quote from: Tree tech on June 27, 2009, 05:18:39 PM
Thanks for posting that ! Im new to the site and otherwise would not have seen it! Thanks tt

Right on!! I have a Silverado just like that. I would be sick if that was my truck. About the forks tipped up, if that happened where I worked and the manager or safety director saw it, its immediate termination. We had a lawsuit a couple years ago and the company paid out over 45,000$ in damages.
Gearhead....

zopi

See..if he'd a been on here he coulda used the log weight calculator and avoided the mess...<G>

There is a guy over on another forum who has a chainsaw mill that could probably handle most of that.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WILDSAWMILL

I USED TO PAINT NEW TOW TRUCK EQU ( OPS) in 1990-1994 we had new chevs bend from the weight of the tow bed just being set on easy the chev co soon provided a frame kit to install before the tow beds . the fords never needed it they were strong enough as is these were one ton trucks both claimed to be rated for the application
if you gave me a chev i would sell it imedality to buy a real tough truck a ford or dodge
Kascosaw2B

Jeff

Caughtcha with my anti-cap lock code, didnt I!  :D

Ironwood

Wildsawmill,

You know, just tonight I was eyeing a truck that a local feed mill runs. I saw it in a shopping mall parking lot as the Miss'es was in shopping, I was driving in circles to keep the little ones content. I noticed a very large steel support bolted right along the frame near the bed/ cab transition. This truck is a Chevy 3500HD (19" rims), and I thought "That's weird" , my
F-550 doesnt have anything like that. Guess you just answered it. Thanks

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

John Woodworth

The Chevy-GMC with the Dura Max Deisel have the front of the frame reinforced with the plate you saw, it's about 12" or more at the bed end.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

climbncut

Who would actually waste their time loading that log on a trailer being pulled by a half ton truck in the first place. I'd guess that the truck didn't even have a trailer brake box. I would even be cautious loading it onto a single wheel one ton. Where are these idiots located?
Tree Topping: "The most costly, money-wasting, tree mistreatment in the world"- Shigo

Ironwood

"Those idiots" are EVERYWHERE. I see them everyday out on the highway.

Ironwood

wewacountryboy

That's why I buy Fords. Thanks fot the pics!
Jonathan Hanson

ihookem

Yep, it says Z 71, that's a half ton. A 3,000 lb trailor hauling a 5000 lb log? A 3/4 would have been much smarter. At least they didn't drive it down the road.

mr_buff35

WOW!!!  Thats something else.  I'm a rook with wood weight, and I'd be questioning loading that on to a 7 ton dump trailer.  YEEESH... No matter what species it is. 
Nothing worth doing in life is easy!!!

Thank You Sponsors!