iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

requesting some salsa recipes

Started by Modat22, April 27, 2009, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

Looking for some recipes that are tried and true, not to mention tasty.
remember man that thy are dust.

Radar67

Check the knowledge base. Charlie has a good one there and several other members have posted them as well.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

this makes a whole bunch of it.

1 #6 can crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomatoe paste
1 small can serano or jalapeno peppers
1 large onion
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 cup viniger
1 or 2 bunches green onions chopped
about 1/2 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Put the onion and peppers in the blender with the viniger and chop fine. Add to the tomatoes. Season to taste. I also like to add a little comino and chili powder along with juice from the can of peppers. Simple and great with totilla chips. Good on any kind of Tex-Mex food too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

The above is also really good made with fresh tomatoes and peppers
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Check with Mooseherder. He made an outstanding batch of salsa for us at the '07 ATV ride. We didn't give it time to set long for the spices and juices to mix in good..it was gone before that happened.
Very fascinating to watch it be prepared. He knows how to handle a knife too.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Thanks BT. :)
If all my Tomatoes and Peppers grow we'll be swimming in Salsa.  8)

beenthere

Aaahhh!!
That brings back good memories. And we sure didn't let it set for any hour at room temp.  The knife wasn't even cooled off yet.  8)

And I recall that Jeff's BIL Pete was a master in the "whippin-up-food" dept. too.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

Charlie posted a real good salsa recipe on here a few years ago, and it is VERY good. We have altered a few times to go with the produce we had on hand, and each time the salsa was "slap yo momma" good!   :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I'll be scouring these threads this summer when the garden comes on.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

'maters...jalepenos...onion...garlic...cumin(not much)...cilantro...garlic....jalepenos..salt...mix to taste...toss it all in the qeasy'nart...fry up some quartered corn tortillas and enjoy!

What? Works for me.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Weekend_Sawyer

We really enjoy our salsa, hope you do too :)

Black bean, corn salsa

•   10 cups tomatoes  peeled, cored and chopped
•   5 cups assorted mild peppers chopped
•   5 cups onion chopped
•   2 ½ cups jalapeño peppers chopped
•   1 or 2 (habanera peppers, these will light the fire!)
•   3 cups black beans, depending on how beany you want it. Well rinsed.
•   2 cups corn
•   1 cup sugar add this as it is cooking to taste I like mine a little sweet.
•   3 Cloves garlic minced
•   3 tbsp cilantro chopped
•   1 tb salt
•   1 1/2 cup of cider vinegar

Cook in a big pot for about 15 minutes adding the sugar as you go to taste.
Makes about 12 pints.

I use dried beans, soak and rinse them a couple of times before using them. If you don't rinse them the salsa will turn out dark.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pappy19

Here's a good one and easy too.

Lupe's New Mexico Salsa

4 cans regular stewed tomatoes
4 roasted New Mexico green chili's skinned and chopped (or canned if you don't have fresh or frozen)
1 chopped medium onion
2-3 chopped spring onions
4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

Take the canned stewed tomatoes and put into a blender. Use the "pulse" setting and only do one or two short bumps, otherwise you'll wind up with mush. The idea is to cut the large hunks of tomatoes into smaller pieces.

Mix all together and enjoy. You can substitute jalapenos, but the flavor isn't quite the same as the New Mexico chili.  I get more calls for this at home than almost all of my other recipes combined.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

Radar, I just caught back up to this one. I fixed it. it was Sugar and vinegar I left out.

The sugar and vinegar should be added to taste. Just like th hot peppers. I have noticed the hot peppers calm down a little after canning. ... but not much ;D

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

I just updated my Salsa recipe in reply # 10. Making salsa better for mankind ;D

In the last 2 days I have made 2 batches yelding 24 pints, half mild half hot. If more of my tomatos come in I want to make atleast 1 more batch hot by doubling the hot peppers.

Mmmmman I like salsa!
Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

I made my last batches of salsa this weekend. My Goddaughter wanted to have some salsa so I told her she could have 12 pints if she helped make it. She was excited and brought over enough tomatos for 2 batches with a final count of 28 pints! I gave her half of them.

I grew all the peppers except the jalapinos and habaneros.

After 6 hours of cutting, chipping, seeding, splashing and canning we felt pretty good about the turnout.

I bought this canner this year, it's an All American and can do 14 pints at a time.  8)
Jon

sawguy21

Hard to find good salsa here, most of the store bought is pretty bland and we don't use enough to justify making it. Plus we don't have garden. We did find a really good black bean and corn variety with a zing in California , first time I tried it. Gotta try Jon's recipe, that sounds mighty good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CHARLIE

One of my problems with store bought salsa is too much salt.

Sawguy21, if you don't have the time to make your own salsa, why not find a store bought salsa and doctor it up some by adding some more spices and powdered cayenne pepper.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

I certainly like a salsa with black beans and corn in it and those peppers.......mmmm come home to poppa. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Pace Picante Sauce is about as good as it gets for store bought.

Weekend_Sawyer

Safeway Select has a black bean and corn salsa I based mine on. It's pretty good.

Jon

Thank You Sponsors!