iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost my teeth

Started by maple flats, April 26, 2009, 07:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

:-[ I was sawing a couple of large sugar maple logs and should have known better. I knew the tree had come from roadside. I used my usually dependable metal detector before the first cut but failed to recheck the next layer. I know my detector is more accurate on a smooth surface rather than thru  rough bark, but I screwed up. As soon as I started sawing the second layer to get my opening face to good wood, I hit some metal. It cleaned the teeth, all 6 carbides were history.
My detector seems accurate and dependable at location metal but only if I am down to a good flat surface. I had to change the blade to continue sawing. I made it thru both logs without hitting any more metal and there was plenty to surgicley remove. The detector did it's job when I did mine. Now I need to take 2 blades in to get them re tipped because I have not yet bought nor made a re tipping jig. I better get going on that, I can buy new tips for about $.31 ea in bulk or I can buy them for $3.60 from New Zealand or I can pay someone to re tip at about $8.00/tip. I had better get going on the jig.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!