iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

antique sale find

Started by thedeeredude, April 26, 2009, 05:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Disston D-8 6 ppi rip, applewood handle with two hand thumbhole.  Best I could find is it's probably from 1917-1940, most likely earlier in the range.  I really didn't need it but what fun would that be.  I think I'll keep it in rip configuration, give it some more rake for hardwoods.  I already have a rip saw for pine and poplar.  The etch is visible, little rust here and there.  I passed up an atkins saw, it was really shiny and had really good teeth and a richardson brothers saw that was also really shiny with really good teeth.  There was also a wooden plane from 1836, probably made in the area or in Germany.  It had lots of chip carving and decoration on it.  Pretty sure it was home made, the wood was from the center of the tree and it had a knot right at the throat.  I also passed up some 18th or early 19th century back saws.  One was brass backed, I forget what the other one was.  One had split nuts, original probably, the other had regular nuts, probably replacement.  I hate to buy tools I can't use. $12 for the D8 though so I was happy. 

oldsaw

I got a real nice one at a flea market, but I won't tell you what I paid.  Got some nice crosscutters too, but most need sharpening, a skill I'll have to learn better.  A passel of "hillbilly" saws too on one trip, ratty and chipped handles with missing teeth.  they became scrapers, think I paid $1 each.  Recycled some of the screws.

The D8 was even sharp, just needed some finish on the handle to look like half a million bucks.  It's a user.  Cuts like crazy.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

thedeeredude

Sharpening saws isnt too bad.  I can do teeth 8 per inch or less, the fine saws I have a really tough time with.  The big rip saws are the easiest.  It really helps if the teeth are shaped right when you get them.  I recently got a Disston d7 crosscut, 8ppi, the teeth were shaped about as perfect as it gets, just needed a slight bit of filing.  Try it on some of those junk saws you get.  Cutting teeth in old saws is a pain in the rear.  I did that to a ww2 era disston rip saw.  Filed in 7 tpi at the toe and 5ppi with no rake for the other 3/4 length of the blade. 

Thank You Sponsors!