Started by backpacker, April 26, 2009, 01:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backpacker

Good Day: The question i have is on a FARMI 351 winch, not mine and
in the line up for warrenty work:)
I replaced the main cable for the owner, who now says he either has to
have the center/engaging  bolt/nut combination  really loose to have
the winch stop pulling when the pull lever is released, or tighter to have
the winch actuallly pull a load. No in between or normal as was before.
{i am not the person that jammed the cable between the drum and friction pads:)}
Just to bounce this situation off a few people, i did grease the three
tapered rollers in the engage/dis-engage assembly, so i am leaning towards that i put them in facing the wrong direction or too much grease to let them roll back and let go of the winch drum?
Any ideas to save the day and still "get er done".
Tks

RSteiner

I have an older smaller Farmi so I'm not sure that mine is put together the same as the one you are looking at. 

There is an adjustment on mine on the center drum shaft that serves as the clutch adjustment.  When the clutch lever is pulled up the drum and clutch plate should move towards each other and when released move apart.  The amount of movement is not much.   

I suspect that if you take things apart you will be able to see if things are moving in the right direction and if there is something that is causing the clutch to grab and release at the proper times.

Randy
Randy

ID4ster

Get a hold of a guy by the name of Billy Morris in Bath, NY. He's a dealer for these machines and uses them also and can probably tell you what your problem is and how to fix it. He also has a line on parts if you need any.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

just_sawing

You might try putting the cable al the way out and pull hard on it. basically strecthing the cable. A new cable can swell on the drum and lock it.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

backpacker

Evening Gents: Good input on the winch problem, i removed the grease
around the rollers[ vaseline ]replaced it, switched the two thrust bearing
surfaces around so they are correct, and reassembled and testing went well.
I had the bearings reveresed, so they were not seating in place correctly on the
shaft/engagment discs, basically to tight when all is together and the grease may have been holding the rollers in place, as the drum was slacked off to allow operation.
all in all a good day and a good lesson learned, nothing broke[ except pride:)] and no funds or body parts lost.
Thanks for the ideas and source
backpacker

Meadows Miller

Quote from: just_sawing on April 27, 2009, 05:21:29 PM
You might try putting the cable al the way out and pull hard on it. basically strecthing the cable. A new cable can swell on the drum and lock it.

Js Ive had the same problem myself mate  ;) i ive also hd it bind up with a well worn cable where it dosnt spool properly because it gets some slack in the cable and gets bound between the cables  :( ::) usually just choker a tree and runn the wholelot out and then use the weight of the tractor to keep it tight and just pull the tractor back upto the tree  ;) ;D 8)

Backpacker dont worry about the pride mate your back in action now without many dramas Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

{i am not the person that jammed the cable between the drum and friction pads:)}
And it looks like you wernt the one that caused the prolem in the first place  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!