iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tired potatoes

Started by Ironmower, April 25, 2009, 07:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

Any of you ever plant taters in tires? The way I understand it is; plant the spud, when its tall enough you put a tire over it and fill with dirt, and just keep doin' so. I'd guess maybe 4 tires high (pending on width)...Then in the fall just knock the tires over and wahlaa! Never tried it my self, Do you think this would even work? Cuzzzz, here in my part of West Virginny, we have plenty of old tires and "sour" ground ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

chevytaHOE5674

I have a few friends that plant taters in tires because they live in the city. It seems to work real well for them. I say give it a try, won't be out much.

Burlkraft

I used to do the same thing only using chicken wire.
I'd fill it with leaves and peat and grass clippings.
Works good and there's no digging at harvest time  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

blame

we've grown them that way  didnt get alot of size to em but there was a bunch of them  and wasnt that hard to do we would fill the tires up till there was about 2 or 3 " of leaf left  went 4 or 5 high

Bowtie

I hear asparagus grown similar to that, only in troughs to make a row. My dad says to keep piling dirt or compost and dirt on top of them as they grow for the first year, then every year after the asparagus will come back. I never thought of taters.
Gearhead....

OneWithWood

we gave up on the stacked tires because the wasps were real fond of them as nesting sights.  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chucker

straw works the same for growing spuds. just work the soil once with a tiller/drop taters in a row and cover with straw... wet the straw well and wait till spuds sprout and straw to drop .then cover with more straw and your done till harvet time!!  easy harvest ,just pull the stock and seperate .... till in the left overs and ready for another season ......
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Thank You Sponsors!