iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

starting Bob's 2005 LT70

Started by woodmills1, April 24, 2009, 10:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Going down to Dracut tomorrow to start Bob's LT70, so anything I should look out for with the deisel and the remote setworks compared to my 93 LT40?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

First thing I would do is check fluid levels and check for leaks.  May want to take some fresh diesel fuel and replace the old stuff right off the bat – maybe fuel filter too.  Don't know if it has a settling bowl but I'd dump and clean that too. Bleed the fuel system, etc. Check for mouse, wasps, and bird nests. Fire it up and let the battery charge back up a bit before shutting it off again.  Take some steel wool to brighten up the contact strip and contacts – positive and ground.  Might want to grease joints and oil up mast and other joints that don't have grease fittings. 

Make sure to get the manuals.  There are a couple of parts that are used with setting the mill up for triansport - like a bracket that holds the cable track.  Make sure to get them and finders, old parts that may come in handy, etc.

Have your cell phone handy and charged up so you can call Wood-Mizer tech support if you need help.

Has it the old Accuset or Accuset 2?  Is the previous owner able to give you a 10¢ class on the Accuset?  If so, that will get you started.  Then set down one evening and read the manual instructions.  Try using it again for a day or so.  Then re-read the manual and it'll make sense.

I take it you've bought this mill?  If that's right, make sure to get the previous owner to change the ownership info over to you with Wood-Mizer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

yes I am buying it, as well as Bob's edger with 32 hrs on it.  Was given an offer I can't refuse.  Bob was the owner of the first mill I bought and he passed away last winter.  I am looking for any info that I should watch for with the acuset on my initial start up today.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MartyParsons

Check the fuse block make sure the nuts are tight.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodmills1

thanks marty, but the cat started right up and everything but the debarker worked.

OK........... 8)  the LT70 is SWEET and fast glad i went for it

the edger motor turned over but would not start, took some looking and thinking but turned out the emergengy stop switch was corroded.  I jumped the wires and it started right up.  I did use fresh gas.

was going to sell the edger.............but    don't think I will

Marty I may have a title issue as bob never titled them.  I do have the original bills of sale and certificates of origin, but am not sure if a written bill of sale from Bob widow will fly at new hampshire registry.  Any thoughts?

woodmills1

I see that there is a box to hold the command control cable, but where does the console go for tranport.  There are a few orange angle iron pieces and some triangles as well as the gage to adjust the debarker.

MartyParsons

Certificate of Origan comes from WM ( the Manufacture) it would be called a Title if the trailer was licensed from state ( Like PA)

Console should go toward the Hitch should be a square tube bolted in front of the board return table, Console stand turns upside down in the leg of the board return table. Should also be a brace to support the remote track for transport.
Check the fuse block. Top left Red wires may be loose. If not Check again in 3 months. repeat every 3 months.

Gauge to adjust the debaker would be the Blade Guide alignment tool? long aluminum strap with clip to attach to the blade?

Got a picture? Of the other stuff?

Check the air pressure in the blade tensioner should be 85 psi, sometimes the gauge is off check with a tire gauge to verify it is accurate. The may leak about every 3 months.
Board return fingers will screach, lube with ATF ( it is a personal thing drives me nuts)
Drive belt tension 8 lbs with 7/16 deflection  dont follow the manual if it tells you to go by the rings on the belt tightner. Lube the ball socket on the Auto clutch arm ATF. You will need to remove the cover. Do this every 50 hours.
Depending on the year guide blocks should be aluminum colored if they have the brake lining style up grade to the metal type.
Let me know if I can help. These mills work great!
I service many of these mills.
The Debarker works with the Forward Feed switch in the Forward position. ?
What type of  blade band adjustment does it have, Hydraulic, Cam over center
Best blade? 1 1/2 .055 7 degree Feed it like fast. Have a 4 degree around for the tough stuff, and a 13 degree for RO no knots and Tulip.
What blades came with the mill? most likely 10 degree.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodmills1

can the back of the certificate of origin be used by bob's widow as a transfer of ownership to me?

the gage is an aluminium plate about 3 feet long and 3 inches wide.  I will take a picture of it and the other pieces the next time I go to dracut.

The tensioner uses an air bag and a cam like device with a lever and lock.  I saw on the web site that an upgrade is avaliable.

I had expected to see the debarker turning when the switch was presse.  I don't think I tried it while moving forward.  Is the lube miser also connected that way?

customdave

Have fun with the new mill Woodmills1, hope you post pics of the first log you throw on her when you twist that cats tail & let rip threw the log!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Dave Shepard

On our LT40 the lube and debarker only run when you move the lever to the forward travel position.

Congrats on the new mill. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Joe W

Who's name is on the CO?I can check in my title hand book later on today and see exactly what you have to do.Don't fill it out until you know what to do.DMV doesn't let you cross out or erase mistakes.That will void the document......Joe

woodmills1

will my older (1993) sharpener and setter be able to handle the 1.5" blades if I get the correct cams for them?

Bibbyman

I doubt if you need a new cam.  If the gullet shape is the same, the same cam can be used.  I'm pretty sure.

I think all you have to do is make some adjustment to the guides to make up for the 1/4" wider blade.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I really hoped all I would have to do is turn the height wheel higher.  I so love sharpening my own blades.  A one man operation is self defining. :) :) :) :)

woodmills1

got my loan should have the lt70 and edger in a week to 10 days

for the deal I am getting I offered to do a yard clean up for the family and started by removing a load of older logs, the oak still seems viable but the pine is well past prime so it will be for 4x4 dunnage.  Hey, the maple is spalted 8).

there is metal all over the place so I checked with a friend who does some scrap work and took him down to see.  A 1970's crane truck with the boom horizontal and out, a 68 chevy dump with a massive metal box body, old style crane man lifts, huge threaded rods and boom sections everywhere.  Then we see a vermeere wood splitter from god knows when with an old stlye Kohler engine with horizontal and vertical splitting capability, massive.  We are commiting to the metal removal.  Any ideas on the vintage of the splitter?

MartyParsons

QuoteI really hoped all I would have to do is turn the height wheel higher.  I so love sharpening my own blades.  A one man operation is self defining.   

There are pins the blade rides on. They are called blade rest bolts. You should just need to lower the pins on the blade clamp?

Thanks
Marty

woodmills1

there are 3 holes on a 45 degree angle on the blade clamp(updated), with allen head bolts.  Mine are in the center hole.  Makes sense  center 1 1/4, bottem 1 1/2......?

MartyParsons

woodmills1

here is a picture of the extra parts, I did figure out that the gage(not pictured) is an edger alignment tool, and the piece on the right is to hold the wire harness for transport

MartyParsons

The angle iron pieces are for the edger outfeed table. The mount on the front of the edger to mount the table while transporting the edger. I notice that you are not using the table? The other brackets wraped in plastic are for the return rollers that go on top of the edger to return the flitches or boards to run through the edger again. Not sure why they are not installed.
The piece with the bungie is for the wire support track. It should be used any time you move the mill! I will take a picture sometime this week if you want. I am on the road tomorrow.
Marty

woodmills1

Well I pick it up tomorrow.

Here are two shots of logs I have ready to learn the accuset on

Thank You Sponsors!