iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screech Owl and the Woodducks

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2009, 12:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The nesting box is on the edge of the pond with the hole facing dry land so hopefully they will be ok.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RynSmith

SwampDonkey

I wonder how many families they have a year. With the way they are growing, mom will have time to raise another brood long before fall.  I guess it'll take some time to learn to hunt as well. Any wood ducks? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I was wondering the same thing. The robins living in the wreath out the back door are going to be ready to leave the nest in a couple weeks I am sure. It don't take long. I can tell you one thing, baby owls are a whole lot cuter then baby robins.

SwampDonkey

Yeah. I have a tower antenna behind the house and it has a honeysuckle growing up it. The robins have a nest there every year. There is one sitting there now. My last load of firewood  is stacked up beside a picture window and the tower and she frequents the wood pile for a perch and vantage point and the ground below for worms. Every time I see a shadow reflect of the computer screen that his her hopping around the top of the wood pile. Sometimes a chipmunk or squirrel sits up there as well.

Here, Tippy Tippy. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed

This is Ed's mother posting a comment.
I am a retired teacher, and some years ago my students and I created a nature trail about 3/4 of a mile from school on property owned by a friend of mine. When we would go to check things out, a screech owl would be peeking out of the wood duck box. One spring when one of my "fathers" cleaned it out for us, he had to move the owl. He picked out many owl pellets, and we picked some up off the ground. Guess you know that we took them to school and cut them open. They were smaller, of course, than the ones schools typically buy for students (great horned owl), but they were from "our" owl. That trail provided us with many learning experiences. I have a great photo of the owl in the box, but not with any young ones. We then built an owl box, with exact specifications, but it was promptly taken over by a mama squirrel and her babies.

Sally

Paul_H

Thanks for the story,Sally.Welcome to the forum :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

CHARLIE

They look wise..........and older
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

baronthered

I could be the odd guy and say hey nice hoo..... but I won't I always liked owls for some reason. We had a couple of nice bird nest here but a dang copperhead ate them mom and all. I did kill the copperhead, it was on my porch when I got done mowing...
Life's short make fun of it!

Norm

I really enjoy watching this thread, thanks Jeff. :)

Sprucegum

Yep, that's a serious owl  8)

I am amazed at his ability to handle them. Is it a rare talent he has or is this a unique situation?

SwampDonkey

Those little guys sure been growing fast. They seem so docile. Ouch my finger is hurting from them talons. :D

Modat22

I wouldn't mind having a group of those around my garden.
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

News From Rodney!

The owls have flown the coop. The other wood duck box has....you guessed it.....a wood duck hen sitting on about 14 eggs.

cheyenne

Thank you for a wonderful thread..........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Brad_bb

So he opens the door on these boxes to take pics and pick up the owls, and the mothers don't freak out and fly away??
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

I've hatched many ducks in my incubator, but one thing for sure.....you can not raise Wood Ducks.  They come here wild, won't eat, and will escape through a pinhole.  Mallards huddle together for safety.  Wood ducks scatter like crazy.

I enjoyed reading about the owls.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!