iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screech Owl and the Woodducks

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2009, 12:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My Friend Rodney that now lives in southern Michigan caught some shots on his trailcam aimed at one of his wood duck boxes, then took some photos with his real camera as he was investigating.  Rodney used to be the staff photographer up here for the Mt. Pleasant Morning Sun. He comes and stays at the cabin with us from time to time. We met about 10 or 12 years ago when he was photographing some of my paintings for an art show. He gave me permission to go ahead and post these, and says he'll keep us updated with photos as he watches the nesting box

The first shot on the trail cam shows a screech owl either flying by, or flying into the box.

This photo shows one of his Wood Ducks hitting the skids and not wanting to go into the nesting box a week or so later.

So, Rodney goes to investigate to see what is going on and finds this gal snoozin

A closer look reveals she is not alone, but are they hers, or is she just early for dinner? Are they Owl or are they Duck? If they were duck , Rodney plans on performing an eviction.

Um, excuse me, but I've retired for the day please shut the door and leave...

He removed the still sleepy owl for a quick close look. The uncompressed version of the picture I have here is an amazingly detailed photo. As it turned out, the Screech owl gets to keep the box this season and we get to see what happens in the days to come.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

That's cool!  8) I bet the owl laid the eggs herself.

RynSmith

Very cool story, with great pictures to boot.  I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.   :)

ADAMINMO

That is cool !!!! Keep us posted. I wish I had a Cudde back camera. I just can't talk my wife into letting me spend that much money on one!

Jeff

Two of the three eggs have hatched. The pile of meat in the corner is what's left of a sparrow.

VT

Nice Pix Jeff.. And clear.

Eagles Nest is right in my backyard .
1 chick is out already.

Copy and Paste Link :
http://www.hancockwildlifechannel.org/staticpages/index.php/20080302140549584

It's on hold for a week till the second chick has started to move around the nest.

VT

SwampDonkey

Wow, that's great. Your buddy is real lucky and takes good pictures to. I guess we are lucky now for being able to see the new family of owls. That owl sure seems quite docile. I would have imagined they would be quite vicious if someone disturbed them and their nest, no matter how sleepy eyed they are.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Nice pictures.Very interesting too.Never seen owl chicks before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

News from Rodney and his owls:

The third egg has hatched. Their eyes are still closed. But they're growing fast and eating well. Notice the two mice stuffed in opposite corners of the box.

Ed

Excellent pics!
I get the Screech Owls living in my duck boxes over the winter, but never had one nest. It's neat to sit in the deer blind and see them lookin out the duck box, just taking in the sights.

I did get the pleasure (?) of opening up a duck box for cleaning a couple of weeks ago and finding one very agitated momma Woodie looking up at me! UH, oops, sorry!
I quickly put the lid back on, she never did leave.

Ed

SwampDonkey

They look like a happy lot. Mom's a good provider. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

A  couple new eyes have opened.

sprucebunny

Great pictures !! Thanks Jeff and Rodney  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Here is a zoom on the babies.  :)

SwampDonkey

Is it only the one adult bird, or are they switching like hawks and eagles do?

Sprucegum

8) He's got that "killer" look already  8)

CHARLIE

Thanks Jeff! This is a real treat and fun to watch the story unfold. This is something most people would never get to see in a lifetime.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HOOF-ER

Neat pics, My brother discovered a nest of barn owls in a hollow tree in town. They got a bunch of pics. There was  an article in Illinois Audubon Magazine.( don't remember the month) Never before has there been a documented nest in a town.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Patty

WOW!  :o Only a mother could love a face like that.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

Quote from: Patty on May 14, 2009, 06:01:00 PM
WOW!  :o Only a mother could love a face like that.  :D

Yer probably right on that. :D

SwampDonkey

Jeff

Some dandy photo's from Rodney tonight. The little guys are coming right along and they may have adopted Rodney. :D

SwampDonkey

Looks like they are eating good.  ;D 8)

I hope when them babies take their first flight that it's a dry one. Living on top of a post in the middle of a pond could prove to be an interesting predicament.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!