iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another 044 rebuild

Started by ENTS, April 23, 2009, 08:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky_J

Perhaps use two cycle oil to lube the gasket instead of grease?  :)

joe_indi

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 01, 2009, 07:15:50 AM
Perhaps use two cycle oil to lube the gasket instead of grease?  :)
2 cycle oil is fine for regular use.But the pitting in the image definitely calls for grease.
Once the saw runs for a couple of minutes that grease should disappear.
Grease would definitely give better sealing than oil.

ENTS

Carb is back together (finally) and holding pressure nicely.  I simulated a pop off (tapped the diaphram) and pressure dropped down and held.  I didn't use any oil or grease on that surface.  Only time will tell if there is any performance problems.

Later,
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Al_Smith

I dunno .I must have rebuild a hundred carbs and never greased or oiled a thing .Clean them up real good and install new soft parts and they are good to go .

ENTS

I haven't been inside many saw motors but I think this piston looks weird

Before:

Top after cleaning:

Side:

Maybe someone has seen this before but to me it's a bit strange.  One line runs from the top on down the side of the piston.  Maybe it's how I cleaned it, 2 hrs. in the ultrasonic cleaner?????

Any opinions??

Rocky_J

Looks great other than the carbon buildup. Using a good, brand name synthetic mix oil will eliminate most of that buildup in the future.

ENTS

It may look nice and clean but it's headed for the junk pile.  Those cracks, especially the one on the side, can be felt and it isn't going in any saw I run.  As far as running good oil, I use only Stihl Ultra. 

My biggest problem now is finding a replacement piston.  Golf has a so-so reputation, Meteor doesn't make one for the 440, and Stihl is BIG $$.  For being a cheap auction bought saw it's starting to add up.

Later,

Rocky_J

IMO the best option on a replacement piston is to just get the aftermarket Big Bore piston and cylinder from Bailey's. $99 for the kit. On the 460 big bore kit there were 2 spots with minor clearance issues where I had to file on them slightly, but they worked very well.

I'll see if this works. Here's the post from Eddie (a Stihl master mechanic) showing the differences between the OEM setup and the Big Bore kit from Bailey's- http://www.gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?p=312798#post312798

I didn't realize that piston was cracked, it just looked like stains.

And I also run only Stihl Ultra. I don't mention it often because most think I'm crazy for spending that much and it's not worth arguing over. But most of my saws aren't stock and they all run perfectly.

Al_Smith

It's hard to say by looking at a picture on the net weather those are cracks or just marks put in by pyralited oil which has carboned .

If it is cracks,I agree ,scrap it .If just carbon scratchs I personaly would run it . However it's not my engine therefore that choice belongs to the owner of same .

OneWithWood

I got my replacement 440 piston set from Bailey's.  Reasonably priced and the great advice was free for the asking  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ENTS

I'm still on the fence as to what piston to get.  One, very expensive but sure to please, other, economical but --

In the mean time, while I ponder the above, is there any thing to be gained by cleaning out these casting crud

I have a dremel, will that suffice to grind these out?

Thanks,

parrisw

Quote from: ENTS on April 23, 2009, 08:44:55 PM
Quote from: stonebroke on April 23, 2009, 08:43:19 AM
what kind of ultrasonic cleaner do you have that can do carbs?

Stonebroke

I got it army surplus, holds about 2 gals of water, was next to brand new, got it for peanuts.  I put small parts in the basket and then hang the stripped carb in the bath.  Water gets really hot after an hour.  Everything comes out squeaky clean.  Hung a piston in it once, came out sparkling.

What kind of solution do you use in the Ultrasonic Cleaner?

ENTS

The ultrasonic only gets water and a few drops of dish washing liquid.  Nothing toxic or corrosive.  I had talked with a rep. at the man. and he suggested either their cleaning solution or, just plain dish washing liquid.  Choice was $$wise a no brainer.

Later,

parrisw

Quote from: ENTS on May 31, 2009, 08:18:01 AM
The ultrasonic only gets water and a few drops of dish washing liquid.  Nothing toxic or corrosive.  I had talked with a rep. at the man. and he suggested either their cleaning solution or, just plain dish washing liquid.  Choice was $$wise a no brainer.

Later,

Hmm, I should try that in mine, lately for carbs I've been using just water in the bath, and putting a coffee pot in there with paint thinner in the coffee pot and the carb in there, it works really well that's for sure.

ENTS

A double boiler ultrasonic cleaner.  Gotta try that one.

ENTS

Gotta get this one back together and running before I'm tempted to use the new 044.  So, went and cleaned up that exhaust the best I could.  Used some key files and emery paper.  Not pretty, still has some pitting, but don't know what else to do with it.  It's better than it was and it's gonna have to do.

ENTS

Piston should be here some time this week.  Cross your fingers that when I button it up and press/vac test it that the seals are good (kick myself for not doing that before the tear down). 

ENTS

Finally got the piston.  Finally started working on this one again.  Go to flush the crank, used gas and sloshed it around but found gas pouring out of the clutch side seal.  O.K.  Gotta replace those seals.  1st. had to buy a fly wheel puller, that's on the way.  In the mean time, what's your suggestions on the best way to seat these seals.  I figured using a socket the right diameter and tapping them in.  What's your sure fire way?

Thank You Sponsors!