iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Lombardini engine problems

Started by Junior437t, April 22, 2009, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior437t

I have a 1996 LT 40 Super with the Lombardini engine. Last Friday I was sawing and everything was going fine. After about an hour of sawing, the engine died as if I had turned the key off. I restarted immediately. The engine would only run about 30 seconds. It was loping and was smoking black. I had not changed the fuel filter for a couple hundred hours. I changed the filter Saturday. I got everything primed and restarted it. Same as before except it did run for about 2 minutes once. It would not run fast enough to even kick the alternator in.  What do I need to look at next? I have tried calling several times but every time I get to a phone to call, the gentleman I need to talk to is either out or on another line. Thanks for any suggestions

Chico

I'd look at the fuel pump definately  and make sure the OP is good but a situation like this if it's not a dirty fuel system it'd be best to call an expert that can lay their hands on it to help you to easy to ruin the powerplant
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

js2743

black smoke, how about the air filter have ya checked it.

ladylake

Maybe fuel tank connectors leaking air.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Junior437t

I tried running a few minutes without the air filter and the smoke was still black. I had not looked too closely at the fuel lines. I have been out of town the last few days but am back today. I will look at the fuel lines and hopefully get in touch with the diesel man at Woodmizer.

KnotBB

four things needed to run a diesel:
fuel, compression, air, and timing.

Sounds like you've got air and at least some fuel (black smoke).  Wrong timing it wouldn't run at all.

Loss of compression?  Bad valve or head gasket? 

Lack or shortage of fuel. 
Do those engines have fuel injectors? If so it/they may be plugged or not getting enough pressure, fuel pump?
Fuel pump sucking air. 
Check your fuel filter again by pouring what's in it into a galss jar to see if it has water.  Water will plug a fuel filter.

Just read that some of these engines have a timing belt which could have slipped one tooth throwing off the timing.  Don't know how to do it but you might check your timing and if it's off you'll probably need a new belt.
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

sparks

Junior, give Greg Brock a call here at Wood-Mizer. 1-800-525-8100.  He can get you pointed in the right directing and save you some time check out things that it may not be.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Slabs

Sparks

The FFers should offer thanks to you,  Junior obviously has a serious problem with a very tricky engine.  It's great to know that someone at Miser is monitoring the forum and catches these problems and offers credible solutions.

Thanks Sparks
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

MartyParsons

Junior obviously has a serious problem with a very tricky engine.
This is a true statement! But some who work on these say they are the simplest engines to work on.

Go over the above statements. Remember KISS (Keep It Simple Shirley)

Timing is critical, The cam and the injection pump are driven with a belt. When is the last time you checked the timing belt.

Greg at Indy will get you headed in the right direction.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Junior437t

I was able to talk to Greg on the phone yesterday. He told me a couple things to check. He mentioned that if my return line was collapsed or plugged, this could happen.  There was very little fuel in my return line. I replaced it to the tank. Still very little flow. I took the "output" line loose from the fuel pump, hardly no flow. I got the impression from him that the fuel pump is likely the problem. I am going to try to call him again today. I am going to check the pickup line down into the tank today, before I decide that the fuel pump is bad. I replace the lines from the tank to the engine yesterday and no change. I will have to order lines to filter holder to replace them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Slabs

Quote from: MartyParsons on April 23, 2009, 10:02:34 PM
Junior obviously has a serious problem with a very tricky engine.
This is a true statement! But some who work on these say they are the simplest engines to work on.

Waaaal Marty, Ya caught me being ignorant of the Lombardi diesels.  I had no intention of expressing any expertise on anything but observations of Spark's responses to problems with Miser problems on this forum. 

Again,  accolades to Sparks for helping the members with problems he sees being addressed on the forum.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

MartyParsons

I am not sure what you said but ok.
No offence here?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Junior437t

Thanks to Greg Brock at Woodmizer, we found the problem with my engine. There is a spring that is part of the injection pump delivery limiter and torque adjusting device. This spring was broken. This spring is tough to see unless you are particularly looking for it. I bent a new hook on it as Greg suggested and finished a little job I had started. I went ahead and ordered a new spring. I will probably put it in the battery box so it doesn't get lost. If and when the old one breaks again, will put the new one on. I had been in touch with Marty and was about to make plans to take the mill 250 miles to his shop.  An odd thing is that in my job, as an underground mine inspector, I inspect diesel equipment. Most of that equipment has Deutz, Caterpillar or John Deere engines. I talked to some of those mechanics and they had no thoughts on this problem. Thanks

LeeB

I'll file that one away for an unforseen future. I have the 40horse Lombardini also.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

MartyParsons

Glad things worked out. Like I said these engines are great but a little tricky. Greg has worked on many and knows what to look for.
Marty

Thank You Sponsors!