iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why are stumps cut so high out west?

Started by lonewolf, April 20, 2009, 09:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonewolf

I have been watching the Ax Men series on tv and wonder why the stumps are so high. If I cut them that high here in the Midwest I'd be out of work in a quick hurry.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

chucker

the bottom of a tree that is cut from the stump is called a butt end. when the butt end is flared to much its called a bell end, and when set on a carraige to be milled there is a lot of waste.. so to deminish the amount of waste from haveing to recut or shorten a log the stump is usually cut above the bell.. hope this answers your question??
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Tom

We get swelled butts on cypress in the SouthEast.  They go along with the log and custom sawyers get V grain patterns from them for use in door panels and try to salvage some of the enterior of the butt to lengthen the boards.  The problem is that the wood in the butt is a different density wood than the rest of the tree and it becomes false economy.  Bowl turners have no problem with the butts and search them out.  Mulch mills don't mind them at all.

I figured that the high stumps in the NorthWest were because of the "Tall" loggers.  We have shorter loggers on the East side of the continent.  It might have something to do with the eastern side being a little more stable.  The Western side seems to be threatened with a lot of earth quakes.  I figure it's the weight of all those tall people.

'Course Texas, and that strip that runs east northeast of it, into Arkansas, is threatened a lot by tornados and other high wind storms  I figure that is because of all the hot air that gets released there.  :D

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kevin

When I get a tree with excess butt swell or root flare I'll rip it off and cut the tree low.
That would be a considerable amount of work for a large tree on the west coast, time is money and they need to fill the trucks on time.

ErikC

Heavy Chainsaw + bad back = tall stump. That's how my math works out anyway ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Jeff

I think it has more to do with two factors.  Resins that collect in the western conifer's butts that cause that wood to be of low value and very hard to cut, the reason why the old loggers used spring boards and cut high,  and also the fact that many of those trees are on steep grades. They may be cut at ground level on the upshill side, and be 4 foot high on the down hill side.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ErikC

We were just having a little fun Jeff, but you're right.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

redprospector

Yep, Jeff hit the nail on the head.
I'm not on the west coast, but we do have a lot of similarities (except our trees aren't as big  ;D).

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

John Woodworth

On the West Coast we are reuired to use the Humbolt undercut which is the oposite of what you use on the East Coast. The scalers will deduct for using the standerd undercut in 2' lengths and depending on the scaler, what kind of day he's having and the company it can get mighty expensive.

When using the Humbolt cut you cannot put the cut low to the ground like a standard cut plus terrain and log market quality also figer in as well, with log prices where the are today and trucking where it's at doesn't pay to ship something that could end up being long butted at the log yard.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

lonewolf

Thanks for the info guys it makes sense not to send something to the mill they can't use or will dock you for. It just seems to me that they are fighting those stumps all the time. I don't like to have to go down and throw a roll on a log that hooks on a stump and normally only use 110 ft. of mainline. Seems to me if they cut em lower things would be easier. I often cut down a tree that I know I'll have to butt off and still cut it as low as I can. It helps the trees to stump sprout better and makes the skidding easier.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on April 20, 2009, 11:23:36 PM
........ that many of those trees are on steep grades. They may be cut at ground level on the upshill side, and be 4 foot high on the down hill side.

This is the case where I worked. Stump height is determined from high side. We have cruised many stands out there on 60 % side slope and you have to take the tape with about 4 meters extended beyond your hand and whip it around the back of the tree. It has a hook on the end that catches in the bark. Then you can grab it and try to shimmy it up to the DBH line. Sometimes your partner has to take a stick and push up the tape or unsnag it from bark and stubs to get it level. Similar with the feller, he has to cut from high side. If you take a still picture of a cut block it could look like relatively flat ground depending on aspect and tilt of the camera. In coastal BC, residue and waste surveys determine if there is waist on a harvest block, even measures stump heights from point of germination on high side, not necessarily height from standing position. Point of germination might be 10 inches above your feet if the tree germinated on a nurse log. I've seen hemlock growing out of 4 foot wide cedar logs. ;)

From the BC timber Cruising Manual. Note, if POG is higher than high side the DBH line moves up in relation to it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

For cable yarding, tall stumps don't look to be too much of a problem. For a skidder though, ouch -  >:(     Years back, some New England contractors wanted then tall, as they got a little more leverage with the dozer pushing them out. That was before 'excavator' became a household word here.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Kevin

THe heli loggers are boring the trees in two places at the trunk so they wouldn't be able to market where they cut into the tree, that's one reason some of their stumps might be higher.

stumphugger

Quote from: ErikC on April 20, 2009, 11:15:21 PM
Heavy Chainsaw + bad back = tall stump. That's how my math works out anyway ;D

It depends on what is in the CONTRACT.   The contracts I work with specify a 12 inch maximum stump height, measured on the uphill side.  The older contracts, when bigger trees were being cut would say 12 inches or 1/3 the diameter, whichever is greater. 

You can cut a snag higher for safety reasons, but may or may not be required to then cut the stump down to meet the requirements. 

Reasons to legitimately leave high stumps? 

Steep steep ground, where the leave trees are either non-existant or too far apart.  This kinda sorta keeps the logs from rolling away downhill, although not always. 

When clearing a road--more leverage for the dozer or excavator.

Cutting a schoolmarm with the fork low enough.

Decking--you need high stumps to hold the log deck on a slope.

Rigging--you need a higher stump to use for guylines, block or an anchor.

Axemen is not a good show to watch for how things really work in the woods.  There's a lot of staged stuff--the "downhill logging" is the most recent blatant one.  If you catch a rerun, note that the landing is actually uphill from the lowest point on the unit.  They had to ram the logs on purpose into the yarder.  It seems to be getting worse. 

beenthere

Quote from: Kevin on April 21, 2009, 07:11:13 AM
THe heli loggers are boring the trees in two places at the trunk so they wouldn't be able to market where they cut into the tree, that's one reason some of their stumps might be higher.

Kevin
I missed that explanation. ??
???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Quote from: Tom on April 20, 2009, 10:25:20 PM
'Course Texas, and that strip that runs east northeast of it, into Arkansas, is threatened a lot by tornados and other high wind storms  I figure that is because of all the hot air that gets released there.  :D

I thought it was because they keep twirling around trying to keep an eye on those on the coasts...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

As stumphugger points out, stump guyline anchors are also left tall for rigging. But they would be planned for and not a multitude of high stumps being left. Also, only certain species make good stump guyline anchors. Stumps have been used for cribbing of road material on steep slopes as well. Some standing trees are used as back spars and make use of stump anchors as well. If trees are not sparred than an excavator is used to back spar sometimes. The system is designed to gain ground clearance to either (or both) clear leave trees and the ground.

During the 1980's (possibly for much longer) many coastal logging areas suffered from ground gouging. The term "side-hill gouger" was used a lot. A mythical beast much talked about around the Halloween season in western Canadian mountain country. ;D

I'm not sure that increment boring of trees on the heli-logged sites would cause them to cut stumps high unless there was punk in the buts or something.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

beenthere;
The fallers will bore into the trees at the base to see if they are hollow or contain rot prior to having the helicopter fly them out and later discover they are waste at the landing.
Too much money involved to be taking chances.
If I'm not mistaken one of the crew cut into seven trees before he finally found a good one.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Where did that post from crtreedude come from??
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

nas

Quote from: Tom on April 20, 2009, 10:25:20 PM
We get swelled butts in the SouthEast because of all the hot air that gets released there.  :D
Ty
The same place as this one :D :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Paul_H

Quote from: stumphugger on April 21, 2009, 09:14:48 AM

The contracts I work with specify a 12 inch maximum stump height, measured on the uphill side. 

Exactly the same here.Any stumps that need to be left higher are X'd with the saw and a note is made by the faller or bullbucker.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!