iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning Strikes

Started by Ron Scott, August 19, 2003, 08:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

A tall red oak in an open stand receives nature's damage. No fire resulted from this strike, just damage to a quality oak tree.

~Ron

Kevin

The conifers are usually the target in this area.
The hardwoods are in gravel and don't seem to have the same potential.

chet

The overwhelming number of trees I see struck are hemlock, next would be eastern whitepine.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

The last lightening strike tree I was called on to remove, was a very large whitepine at a customers cottage. The strike followed a large root near the surface to a nice two-holer. All that was left of the two-holer, was one stinky hole in da ground.  :o  Never touched the cabin.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

The last one I can remember was a spruce that the lightning spiraled down splitting the tree, followed the root system and left a plough like furrow in the ground, followed a wet drainage area out to the highway and made contact with our cable turning it into dust.

CHARLIE

Apparently more trees get struck by lightning than I ever imagined.

About 10 years ago, a father and son were killed in the Minnesota Boundary Waters Canoe Area when lighting hit a pine tree went down the trunk and up into their tent that was set up over one of it's roots.  I think it was last year that a son was killed and his father badly hurt in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area when lightning hit a pine tree and it fell  on their tent.  

I guess I only thought about trees getting hit when someone gets hurt, but I reckon  they get hit a lot!  Sure glad I ain't a tree. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

OneWithWood

The worst lightning strike we have experienced was about ten years ago when a single bolt took out five of my better white oak veneer trees.  I am still trying to figure out what I did to pith off the gods that day  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Wenrich

There's a guy in NC that has been struck 4 times.  http://www.local6.com/news/1598826/detail.html   The last one melted the soles of his shoes and melted his watch.

I seem to remember a guy in Virginia that got struck 7 times. He worked for either the FS or for the state.  One of them welded his fly shut.   :o    People wouldn't stand very close to him when it rained.

They used to plant black locust trees close to barns.  They were supposed to attract lightning.  They did at my uncles place several times.  Spared the barn.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

QuoteThere's a guy in NC that has been struck 4 times.  http://www.local6.com/news/1598826/detail.html   The last one melted the soles of his shoes and melted his watch.

He kinda looks like he would attract lightning. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I would be surprised if he could attract anything. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

well, he's got us all lookin at him. :D

Frank_Pender

We just got over a series of hits here this morning.  I thought is was daylight at 4 am. :-/  A couple weeks ago we had a major series in the immediate area.  In the community of Dallas , about 5 miles down the hill, lightening hit a 5' Douglas Fir in the city park.  I may well get the tree after the felling is over and all is cleaned up.  8) Some of the limbs are at least 12" in diam. at the trunk. :-[
Frank Pender

Typhoon

sheesh!! And we havent had any rain in Southern Illinois in 4 weeks!! PLEASE RAIN!!!  :'(
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Greenman

The article gave the odds of being st-t-t-t-truck b-by l-l-l-ightning at 1 in 600,000.  I know m-m-my odds are b-b-better with th-th-that g-guy around.

C_Miller

A buddy and I were milling in the usual open field situation when it started to rain so we headed into the small camper to get out of the wet.  About ten minutes into the downpour we heard SIZZLEBOOM. and saw the nearby power pole get hit by lightning and follow the guywire to ground. It was very impressive.
C
CJM

Kevin

Was there an insulator on the guy?

ElectricAl

Ron,

Our Assistant Fire Chief got hit by a stray bolt that came out of a wall cloud in front of the storm. He was walking from a barn to a shed.

Long story short.....The lightning kills the good bacteria in your stomach and in the intestines. Guy had to eat a lot of yogurt. Also, strike victoms are 8 times more likely to get struck again compared to non strike people. He also suffers from tunnel vision and memory loss.

There are a host of other problems too.  :'(

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Gus

We had a lightning storm this week(very little rain,mind you). My 4 year old boy, Buckwheat we call him, Got up about 6a.m. came down stairs and said,"Daddy, the sky woke me up." :o

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Jeff

rebocardo

> Also, strike victoms are 8 times more likely to get struck
> again compared to non strike people

Considering the low odds of getting hit, I think figuring out why would be interesting to say the least.

SawInIt CA

I just read that on the new Mel Gibson movie on the story of Christ that the guy playing Christ got struck by lightning on the set :o.

IndyIan

Rebocardo,
> Also, strike victoms are 8 times more likely to get struck
> again compared to non strike people

I think this if from the fact that many people have nearly zero chance of getting stuck by lightning.  Someone who works inside a building and doesn't do much outside on the weekends isn't going to be hit too often!

Someone who works outside everyday could be 8 times more likely to be hit.  Even after they have been hit once they are still 8 times as likely to be hit as the indoor person if they continue as they did before.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!