iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plasma Cutters, I need some advice.

Started by fishpharmer, April 19, 2009, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Thanks for looking. Any comments or questions appreciated.

I am considering the purchase of a plasma cutter for some on the farm fabricating.  Campbell Hausfield, Hobart have some $700-1000 dollar plasma cutters rated for 1/4 inch mild steel.  Anybody ever use one?

Probably wouldn't need more than that on regular basis.

Should forget those small models and go for something larger?

I don't anticipate cutting much bigger than 1/2 inch steel at the most.

Should I just save my money and continue using a cutting torch?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

wi woodcutter

'pharmer a couple of my friends have hypertherms (not sure on the spelling) and they are great.

You will never want to use a cutting torch again. :)

I think Miller makes one too for a decent price, you can get gouging tips to cut out old/bad welds which is nice.

Let us know if you get one and how you like it. 
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Chico

Not thats there's anything wrong with a Campbell Hausfeild I would go with a miller or a lincoln they cost a little more but will last forever  and like woodcutter says you'll never pick a torch up again they minimize grinding make fitting a breeze and  backgouging is much easier .It just make everything an easier cleaner job which in turn makes the fabricating much easier
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Sprucegum

Those $1000 units are quick and neat on sheet metal up to 10 gauge with very little warpage. And they even good up to 1/4 inch.

For 1/2 inch I would still grab the torch. A clean tip in a steady hand will give you just as nice a cut.

You want the best of both worlds, why save your money?  ;)

Ironwood

I run a ESAB, that was given to me used from my buddies fab shop, AWSOME. It is a fairly large single phase unit, I use it ALOT. Consumables are part of the game, tips and such, but WAY cheaper than gases. You'll love it.

Buy a Miller, Esab, Lincoln or other semi or full commercial unit. The resale alone is worht hte extra $, plus service and parts are important. Watch buying used as they are VERY complex machines.

IRONwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Reddog

I bought a Hobart MIG, and am happy with it.
I was also looking at plasma cutters, and the Hobart's looked fine. A 1/4" rated one is just slow in the thick stuff. It still will give a nice cut.
Remember Hobart is a division of Miller now. So they are not a fly by night, parts are readily available.
And as much as I like Lincoln's welders, they and Miller are just to proud of them for non commercial use.

fishpharmer

Thanks everyone.  I notice the smaller units "include compressor"  the bigger units don't.

Ironwood, do you have to hook your Esab to an external compressor?

Anyone know?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sawdust

I keep loosing my post. >:( >:(

Ok buy one size larger than you think you will need. Wish I had.
An air compressor that will keep up is important as is an air dryer. Once you have one you will wonder how on earth you ever worked without one. I cannot believe that I worked for years without one. buy or build a stand off roller to keep your tip the right distance from your work. I made mine out of aluminum and a couple router bearings. I cannot keep the tip from sticking or shaking all over with out it, especially after coffee.
Enjoy, they are magic.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

David Freed

The guy I work for recently bought one. I have used it but didn't pay any attention to model or even brand. It will cut up to 1". I will look tomorrow to see what it is. It works great.

wi woodcutter

I would get the Miller.

It is made in Wisconsin can't get any better than that! :D :D

They also make attachments for cutting circles and making nice straight lines.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Ironwood

Mine does not have it's own compressor, I have a central shop unit that is always up on air. I would also recommend using a larger than needed unit, I typically run my amperage higher than needed.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

customdave

Fishpharmer, I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51, rated for 3/4" plate. When I was buying I researched them all, & got this one, I'm a die hard lincoln man, but this machine is very close to the Hypertherms the old timers that built the first ones, I went with the cutmaster 51 because consumables are cheaper. I'm a licensed welder & use one a lot in my shop bussness ,you probably would'nt need this big but I sure like mine, been very good. Have fun tool shopping.! 8)

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

scsmith42

I have a Miller Spectrum 2050 and have been very pleased with it.  I hardly use my torches for cutting anymore, which is nice because Actytelene has been getting expensive.  It requires an external air source and a 50A circuit.

I've heard good things about the ESAB's, Hypo-therms, Thermodyne's, etc

Ditto the advice on getting a professional model and "more" than you think that you'll need.  Watch craigslist for a deal.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

musikwerke

I have the Miller Spectrum 2050 also and it's a fantastic machine.  The gouging capability if great if you do any of that.   
John

fat olde elf

Bought my son Patrick a hypertherm for Christmas a couple of years ago. Can't remember the model number but it goes either 110 or 220.  Requires seperate compressor.  I was told that hypertherm makes the head for Miller and others.  Pat  has been very happy with his unit. He came over and punched a couple of holes in my box scrape for a bracket. Very quick and neat. Pat does metal sculpture and uses his a lot.  It cost a little over a grand.
Fat Olde Elf does believe in Christmas...... 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

fishpharmer

Thanks for all the Great advice everyone.  All  very helpful.  Decided to avoid entry level machines because of you fellas.  Open to anymore input. 

Will let you know what I do. ;D

Ironmower

You gotta have a plasma ;) 8) Especially cuttin' any stainless, aluminum or rusty iron. I have used many "brands" and I liked the ESAB for cost and services. If you can, buy one that will cut a least 1", you won't regret-it. You should "school" your self on all aspects; nozzles, tips, air pressure & amperage. Sorry, I don't agree with runnin' high amperage if its not needed, as this will pre-maturely burn up your tips & nozzles ;). Good luck and let the sparks fly 8) 8) 8)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Thank You Sponsors!