iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need testing?

Started by D._Frederick, April 18, 2009, 03:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I want to use my brother-in-law's 26 Stihl that is at least 10 years old and hasn't been used much the last 4-5 years. Should I take it to a saw shop and have the seals tested and hoses replaced before I use it so he doesn't get back a burned-up saw?

Saw shop rate is $75 per hour, or would you buy a new 377 Shindiawa for about  $300?

Would be used to limb old apple trees after cutting down with my 372.

Al_Smith

Nooo--just run it .It won't take long to figure if it's running lean .If so shut it off .

10 years ,a mere youngster . :D I've got em 40 and 50 years old and the seals are still good . ;)

northernss454

Yup i agree,fresh gas,and away you go,not a worry.

LeeB

i say buy a new saw. You can't have too many.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

madhatte

026 is a good machine.  If it runs as-is, you're golden.  If it needs work, it's probably better to service a made-to-be-serviced saw than to buy a disposable one.  I say stick with the Stihl. 

timber tramp

I'll agree with what Al said, just go ahead and run it. If you're really worried about burning up a borrowed saw, run it for 10 or 15 minutes, shut it down, and pull the plug. If it's white or really light brown, return it, say thanks, and go buy your own saw. ;)
  As far as it being 10 years old, I think my "newest" saw (044) is around that age and it's still holding up pretty well. Only 3 complete rebuilds, probably a dozen clutches, 2 handlebars, 1 gas tank, etc...etc... ;D ;D               :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Al_Smith

As a general rule if it would be a seal leaker it would be on the clutch side . Odds are not too great there is a thing wrong with it .It might be a tad stiff so to speak from inactivity and will limber right up after it's ran a tad bit .

What you might do though is dump the bar oil and run a tank of tranny fluid through it .Bar oil gets waxy after sitting in the tank and the tranny fluid just kind of cleans the residue out . There might not be a thing wrong with that either .

Urbicide

Quote from: northernss454 on April 18, 2009, 07:14:24 PM
Yup i agree,fresh gas,and away you go,not a worry.
Don't forget the 2-cycle oil mix or you will be worrying. ;D

brdmkr

I had one that I let set for at least that long.  I had to replace the oil and fuel caps but it has been fine since then.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

stonebroke

why would the fuel and oil caps go bad?

Stonebroke

chevytaHOE5674

Some of the older stihl caps are two pieces. And if they are tight for a long time with pressure inside the tanks; they can separate. At least that's been my experience.

brdmkr

I really don't remember.  I just know they leaked.  I got new ones and now there are no leaks.  Now you have me wonderin :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Al_Smith

Some of those real old caps on Macs etc. had cork gaskets that could dry out and loose their elasticity .Just spray some penetrating oil on them and let them sit a few days --good as new .

Most if not all more modern saws have o-ring type seals .If they leak replace the seal .

Thank You Sponsors!