iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

151' picnic table

Started by Steve, April 17, 2009, 04:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Some of you may remember that last spring I was boasting that I was going to build the new world record picnic table. Well I built it but Guiness didn't see fit to call it a record. So I call it the worlds longest picnic table that is longer than their record.

This is a view showing construction.

This is the completed table, all 151' long.  I remember it took 1200 screws, that were countersunk and plugged, and 400 galvanized carriage bolts. I can't remember the board  feet used but I think it was around 1200.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Haytrader

Thats pretty dogone neat.
Why wouldn't they recognize it as a record?
Haytrader

Dan_Shade

I'd hate to have to move that thing for mowing!

yeah, what's the deal with guinness?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Steve

Here is a cut and paste quote:

Dear Mr Schaefer,

Thank you for sending us the details of your recent record attempt for 'Longest Picnic Table'. We are afraid to say that we are unable to accept this as a Guinness World Record.

We require the longest picknick table to be made from one piece. It is not acceptable to merely line up a lot of tables.

Guinness World Records has absolute discretion as to which Guinness World Record applications are accepted and our decision is final. Guinness World Records may at its discretion and for whatever reason identify some records as either no longer monitored by Guinness World Records or no longer viable.

As your record application has not been accepted, Guinness World Records is in no way associated with the activity relating to your record proposal and we in no way endorse this activity. If you choose to proceed with this activity then this is will be of your own volition and at your own risk.

Once again thank you for your interest in Guinness World Records.

Yours sincerely,

Kristian Teufel
Guinness World Records

When I started this I read the specifications for world records and they stated that any attempt at largest of  something needed to be made like the normal one. That is what I did as I have made 100's of these in 6 and 8 foot lengths.
They knew what I was atttempting but never once told me it had to be one piece.
After I was turned down I called the, then, record holder and he said he splined the end of  the boards together so I guess that is what they expected me to do, although didn't say so from the start. I briefly thought about making that change but since all the boards are put in with counter sunk screws with wood plugs glued and sanded flush it was just more than I was willing to do.

Steve
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

ellmoe

You must have a Big family. ;D  What are you plans for it?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Steve

The idea was for the town to use it  as a draw for visitors and then when the record was broken they were going to cut it up to use around the park.

I also wanted to use it as a marketing tool for a business of selling plans to a jig system I developed to make these in various sizes.
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

That's Harrison, Michigan Forestry Forum Pig Roast sized. Fun to see.    8)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Onthesauk

Probably ought to bring it to the pig roast.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Dan_Shade

i think the pigroast would have to go to that....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Steve

Maybe a  West Coast Roast and Oregon beer tasting picnic.  I like beer better than wine, although there are lots of winerys around  this area.
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

SwampDonkey

Seems they either caught onto what your intentions were when they saw the doubled up end supports, or they thought you actually stacked several tables end to end. ;D

An impressive table, you need a big bar-b-que. Got enough smoked salmon or elk? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customdave

Neat!! , wonder how long to pass the salt from one end to other end? ???

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

DanG

You could speed that up with text messaging Dave.  pls ps slt   :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

Steve, seems like we could start a protest of Guinness or something.  Maybe get everyone on here to email or write or call.  Just a thought.  Guess this tea party stuff has me in a protest mood ;D

By Gosh we'll start the Forestry Forum Book Of All Things Forestry World Records. 

What ya think Jeff?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Steve

fishfarmer

Thanks for the thought but I don't think emails or calls would do anything. That is a very busy organisation. I really didn't use any sleep over not getting the record. The city paid for materials and my son and I put it together.
I talked to the guy whose record I was trying to break and we used the same construction exactly, except for the splines between boards. He even cut his apart and sold the smaller tables for a fund raiser.

Steve
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

Thank You Sponsors!