iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frost heave example

Started by Jeff, April 17, 2009, 03:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

From time to time over the years we have talked about frost laws and frost heave and some of our born and bred southern members, that have always lived in a milder climate, wondered what we were talking about.

I road up to the cabin a couple days ago with my brother-in-law to do a bit of early season work.  We were surprised to find the boat was not exactly where we left it. Oh, it was in the same place in the yard, only it was about a foot higher.  I'm hoping you can see it in the photos. Its much more dramatic in person.   We had a very cold winter, with a lot of snow.  The boat sheltered the ground beneath it from the snow, but that allowed that ground to remain uninsulated from the extreme cold.  The result was the ground under the boat heaved, leaving it sit on a grassy knoll a full foot higher then the ground around it.  This part of the lawn is absolutely flat any other time. Moving the boat for one day returned the lawn to its normally level state.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

It is *real* fun when it happens around the foundation of your house.  :(

Tom

Does it leave a soft spot?
That's  pretty pile of sand next to the boat in the bottom picture. It's almost as white as our beach sand.  Did you have it hauled in? :)

Jeff

It might be a little soft just after it thaws out, then it will return to normal.

stonebroke

The most inpressed I was with frost heaves was in the adirondaks one spring. I turned onto a state highway and saw a sign saying frost heaves next 35 miles.

Stonebroke

Jeff

I've seen some of our paved roads look like they have moguls in them. In the spring I have saw pavement gush up between the tires on big trucks that ignored the frost laws where it looked like they were driving in mud.

okie

Wow, glad you posted that, I've heard many references to frost heaving but never actually saw it. Most usually we do'nt get more than 2 weeks at a time of below freezing weather, do'nt reckon that is cold enough to warrant that as my boat has'nt ever levitated :D
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Don K

That is wild! I think I will stick to my hot summers than to have to figure that and snow load into my construction plans. I'm like Tom, that is some pretty sugar sand.  ;) :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Sawyerfortyish

Since youall are so impressed with that pretty nothern white sand I'm sure someone here would gladly sell you some truck loads. Since it really settles down in a truck body durring the ride south you should get as many loads as you can afford so you can enjoy it as much as the northerners do. Course your nieghbors will be very jealous that you have something they don't ::)

Handy Andy

Doesn't look like you need to worry much about compaction up there.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

isawlogs

Quote from: Handy Andy on April 18, 2009, 10:23:08 PM
  Doesn't look like you need to worry much about compaction up there.

We would need more ....  compation    ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!