iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Madden

Started by DanG, April 17, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I just heard on TV that John Madden is retiring from broadcasting.  I'm not much of a sports fan, but I do enjoy watching a little football from time to time, and I will miss the enthusiasm that he brought to the broadcast booth.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ellmoe

John has a wealth of knowledge, a llllong history in the sport, and an enjoyable personality. I believe he was the "first" boy wonder coach with alot of success, as he coach the Raiders when he was very young. He retired from that job at an early age. What, almost forty years ago? I will miss listening to his color commentary. I guess those bus trips just wore him out ( he doesn't fly!).

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Burlkraft

I will miss John.

Him and Al were the best football commentators.

I see Chris Collinsworth is taking his place  :-\  :-\

More games to watch with the sound off  ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

HAte to see him go! :'( Being a Raider fan and a football lover.
Collinsworth is a good commentator IMHO
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Warbird

The NFL will not be the same without him.

SwampDonkey

He even had computer games endorsed by him, written by Electronic Arts (1989), way back in the C64 era even. :D

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/boxshot.php?pid=573823
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ellmoe

Collinsworth was a year behind me at the U of Florida. He had a little bit better career than I did. :D I think he was from Titusville, the town that NASA built, by Cape Canaveral. From all the reports I've had he is a genuine "good guy" and I enjoy his commentary. He has some big shoes to fill. I wish him well.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Left Coast Chris

What set John apart was his love for life and the size of his heart.  I never heard him say anything bad about anyone ............ but he sure loved to emblish those that were coragous, gave it all they had and were not show boaters.   The complainers and show boaters never got much attention from him.   Thats what I loved.   :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

DanG

Quote from: ellmoe on April 17, 2009, 07:09:17 PM
    He has some big shoes to fill.

And some even bigger pants! :o :D :D  I wish him well too.  I hope they don't try to hold him to the standard that Madden set.  I doubt that anyone could.  I have rarely encountered anyone who had the combination of knowledge, gift of gab, and the ability to get his point across in an entertaining manner.  He is truly one of a kind, and I hope he gets so bored that he comes back.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ellmoe

Quote from: DanG on April 17, 2009, 09:55:18 PM
[  He is truly one of a kind, and I hope he gets so bored that he comes back.

I'd like that too. I was actually thinking that if that would occur I would like to see a three man team announcing again. There will never be a team like Meridith, Gifford, and Howard Cosell, but combining Madden and Collinsworth with their different styles and experiences would be entertaining.

Mark

OneWithWood

Look for John to reappear as he eats his way form coast to coast and Canada to Mexico  :D

I was a die hard Raiders fan for a number of years and Madden is my all time favorite coach.  The Raiders went downhill from the day he left.

Enjoy the rest of the ride John.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Raider Bill

Quote from: OneWithWood on April 21, 2009, 01:47:14 PM
Look for John to reappear as he eats his way form coast to coast and Canada to Mexico  :D

I was a die hard Raiders fan for a number of years and Madden is my all time favorite coach.  The Raiders went downhill from the day he left.

Enjoy the rest of the ride John.

Here's my prediction, John will be back as either GM or some other high office position. I think it's funny he retired with still a couple years left on his contract right before draft starts.

From Al Davis point John is someone he can trust with vast football knowledge. and would have the Raider Nation backing.
Would be a nice boost to the team and Nation.

OWW, Thick and thin my brother............................

ellmoe

Bill,
  Don't you think Madden knows Davis too well to accept a position if offered?

Mark

Raider Bill

Well he probaley knows him as good as anyone. Al's getting old. Needs someone to carry on the tradition. Not sure Johns young enough or if Amy Trask who is Al's right hand is ready yet.
As a lifetime RAIDER FAN I'm ready for that phone call.

Thank You Sponsors!