iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw starting

Started by bandmiller2, April 16, 2009, 08:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Why is it some saws start right up wile anouther simular saw starts hard,requires many more pulls.They boath run and cut the same??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

joe_indi

Partially blocked pickup body
Leaner L screw setting
Spark plug that needs to be cleaned.

ladylake

As Joe mentioned try opening the low up a tad on the hard to start ones.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Nobody is willing to admit it but some saws just have an attitude problem . :D

Dave Shepard

You've got a couple of those, dontcha. ;) :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

Whenever I modded the muffler on the 372 it went from a 2 puller to a 4 puller no matter how much i play with the L setting. ::)

Cuts like a banshee though so I don't complain.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Rocky_J

I wish my 372s would start with 4 pulls! Although they aren't quite stock, so I'm not complaining too loudly. About 8-9 pulls on my hottest 372 for a cold start.  8)

Dave Shepard

On really, really hot days my 66 will start one pull, cold, no choke. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Hilltop366

Sometimes the carb needle leaks down (or a week fuel pump) so it takes a few pulls to get fuel to the right places to get things going.

The Dolmar 120 had a primer bulb to get it ready for cold start and often took 1 pull somestimes 2. I always found Dolmars to be some of the best tuned saws out of the box.

In the mid 80's I worked at a Stihl dealer, when we would get a new saw ready we would pressure test the carb I think we would replace about 1/3 of the carbs because the needle would not hold pressure.

And some saws I think were made by the devil himself !

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 16, 2009, 08:13:10 PMAnd some saws I think were made by the devil himself !

Those are called "Made in R.O.C."
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 16, 2009, 07:07:23 PM
You've got a couple of those, dontcha. ;) :D
I think everyone does from time to time if they admit it .

I've got some that can sit for months and start on 4 and some if idle for two days need a prime . Just the nature of the beast I suppose .

Dave Hanny

Question for you pros out there:

At work we have three gas concrete saws (as opposed to all the hydraulic concrete saws).  I was recently taught to do short pulls (fast) as opposed to pulling the starter-rope out all the way, or nearly all the way.

I was never taught this for starting chainsaws, and all the chainsaws I've used have never seemed to have a problem by doing full, or nearly full, pulls to get 'em started.

Sure enough, right before I was 'taught' how to pull the concrete saw... the rope pulled part of the way out and didn't go back in... so we had to bring it back to our mechanic and have him fix it.

So are you guys all pulling short-pulls on cold saws?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 
-- Buddha

GASoline71

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 16, 2009, 04:30:28 PM
Nobody is willing to admit it but some saws just have an attitude problem . :D

Kinda like that 2100XP right Al...  ;D

Also clogged air filters, low compression... etc., etc.

Also boils down to the operators skill level too...

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Rocky_J

Dave,
The instruction you received on 'short pulls' was due to a history of prior users breaking too many starter ropes. Many people want to pull the starter rope out as far as they can when starting a piece of equipment. The sudden stop when you reach the end of the rope causes much stress and wear. After a year or two of starting a piece of equipment in this manner, things start to break. Ropes break every couple months, starter pulleys and mechanisms start breaking after that.

It's a blanket rule written by your boss designed to keep users from breaking equipment because they don't understand the consequences of their actions.

ladylake

I must do short pulls, the only one that I reach the end of the rope on has a real short rope.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Rocky's right on the short pull thing I'am a fire dept mechanic and have alot of problems with cords.Too long arms and too much testostrone[sp],I buy the rope by the spool.Been trying to train them for 30 something years I've all but given up.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I don't do short pulls.But I do not try to pull the rope out of the saw to show how strong I am either.Another way to fix the problem,is to take the saw to a shop and have the guy that broke it pay for it.They would learn quick how far to pull the rope out.Have them take it to the shop on their time too and go get it.But I realize that would not work,because you may need it on someones house.
I do have some trouble with the rope/starter every 4-5 years with anything with a rope on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Hanny

Huh, I don't know what happened to my most recent reply, but coincidentally enough I just got done writing that I didn't do a strong long pull that last time on the saw.  But it was probably a full-pull and, well, the mechanism got screwed up - the rope didn't break, but apparently we have troubles with it spooling back in.  This time the last foot, or a little less, didn't spool back in, and I couldn't pull it out again  :-\

When work starts up again I will ask our mechanic about what he had to do to get it working again (hopefully NOT replace parts).   It was a Husqvarna saw.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 
-- Buddha

Hilltop366

Sometimes the pulley won't wind the rope fast enough an it balls up around the parts that stick out past the pulley,then it is stuck.

Usually caused by a damaged or weak spring or starter cover/spring holder gummed up and needs to be cleaned out.

If the rope is retracting a little slow and the pull handle is let go or slips out of your hand it will also get balled up.

I think that is why it can work fine for someone an be a pain for someone else.

Dave Hanny

Thanks, Hilltop, that probably explains it - the amount of concrete dust made when cutting with the gas saws is incredible since we do not hook water-lines up to the gas saws.  I bet there's a ton of concrete-dust in it.

On the hydraulic concrete saws we always cut with a water-feed (so we get slurry everywhere, but not the dust).
-- Buddha

Polly

a while back some forum member told me to fill fuel tank about one half full shake saw wait about 20 sec and pull rope the cold saw started on the first pull  ;) ;) ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!