iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building bandsaw -- need wheels

Started by barny, April 13, 2009, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barny

First time to post anything anywhere,I'm not sure what to do but here goes! Looking to build a band mill and don't have much $$ I found some pulleys at surplus center that are 18.75" in diameter, they are made for either an "A" belt or a "B" belt. With the B belt the top of the belt will be flush at best with the outer edge of the pulley.  Will a "C" belt work like a B belt does on the browning AK184.  It's a lot cheaper to go this way if it will work.

Firebass

Welcome Barny,

Are you thinking of using vee belt pulleys with c belt glued in or something  for your main wheels?  I know the B sized belt usually protrudes about a 1/8" or more from the outside on those combo A or B Pulleys.  You could have it machined to fit the C belt fairly cheap.

Firebase

LeeB

Many brands of band mills use the B belt. On the two brands I have owned the belt did indeed set prood of the wheel and this is a desirable thing. It acts like the crown on a beveled wheel.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

Barney,don't think you could use a C section belt in a B series groove it would teeter on top.Different brands and styles of V belts are different hights,myself I like the rounded top seem to guide the band better.Look back for old posts alot written on building bandmills.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

You could always use tires :)

I am no expert on building mills but here is thread about mine with alot of links Tom posted.  I wouldn't have it running without the help of this forum.  Read through those links and you will learn alot.  Unlike mine, some of these folks have made some super mills.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35734.msg517934.html#msg517934
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!