iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle Mill Video

Started by jason.weir, April 12, 2009, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason.weir

I promised that I'd post a video of my shingle mill running.

Well yesterday I saw'd a couple square and got the wife to take a video while providing some comment.

Here you go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu2Ezj__hLE

-Jason

Jeff

Awesome!  If I had that for a summer up on my property I could make all my siding and roofing for the house I want to build and utilize a bunch of the wind thrown and leaning cedars that would be perfect for shingles.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

Thanks Jason.

That is a fine machine  8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bill_G

Jason,

Great video. How many horsepower are you running? I've been running my chase shingle mill on an old John Deere LA 2 cylinder not quite enough power.

jason.weir

Bill,

My JD is a 2008 3120 - the 30hp is plenty.

You do hear it grunt just a little on anything over 12" but I don't think the rpm drops significantly.

-J

Bill_G

What are you sawing? Pine or Cedar?

STUMPKICKER

Great video Jason.  8) 8) Nice lookin' set-up. Think it'd be lil' better if you had your cedar blocks on the other side, save you from steppin' over pto. shaft. Remember- safety first.  ;)Have fun and enjoy.  :)

jason.weir

Quote from: Bill_G on April 12, 2009, 06:07:19 PM
What are you sawing? Pine or Cedar?

Pine Bill not a whole lot of cedar in this area.

-J

jason.weir

Quote from: STUMPKICKER on April 12, 2009, 06:08:10 PM
Great video Jason.  8) 8) Nice lookin' set-up. Think it'd be lil' better if you had your cedar blocks on the other side, save you from steppin' over pto. shaft. Remember- safety first.  ;)Have fun and enjoy.  :)

I know, I should know better - I'm going to get a gearbox and move the tractor to the back side..

-J

Bill_G

Same here in Warner, just went to Maine Thursday to get a few Cedar logs to work on a canoe.

jason.weir

Bill_G

Do you have trouble with mold when you bundle the Pine green?

jason.weir

A little Bill but I try to store them where they get a breeze but no sun..

If I don't bundle them they curl and split something terrible.

-J

Bill_G

That's what has kept me from sawing many. I would dip the bundles if you could get a fungicide that was not full of poison. I've also thought about running some logs through the debarker and letting them dry some before sawing. I don't know if that would work or not. Thats why cedar works so nice, just non close by.

jason.weir

Bill,

On a nice dry day the shingles will dry to the touch very quickly (just a few minutes if the conditions are right)

I would bet if you let them dry to the touch before you bundled them most of the mold problem would go away.

One other thing - this pine has been down and cut since last fall - not much pitch but still very wet - I wounder what difference that might make.

What do you have for a shingle saw?

-J

Bill_G

It looks just like yours, but mine is an old Chase mill instead of Lane. I think the patent date is 1892. I think your right about them drying fairly quick.

sgschwend

I enjoyed watching that old machine work, what a great design.

I have two suggestions:
1. there is too much stuff moving to take a chance of reaching to the saw,  always let the shingles fall into the bucket.
2.  No loose clothing, loose clothing in one of the most common causes for industrial accident.  

I read that you will move the drive shaft, any chance for a brake?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

jason.weir

QuoteIt looks just like yours, but mine is an old Chase mill instead of Lane. I think the patent date is 1892.

Bill,

The Lane and Chase mills are almost identical, the only exception being the carriage drive.  I believe one of them copied the other - they are way too close.

QuoteI read that you will move the drive shaft, any chance for a brake?

I'd like to have a brake or at least a remote pto shut off.  The new tractor has a electronic pto switch so a cable and pulley wont work.  We'll see what I can come up with..

-J

beenthere

Great video. Your wife does a good job of getting the angles and the entire process.

Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jason.weir

Quote from: beenthere on April 12, 2009, 08:18:08 PM
Great video. Your wife does a good job of getting the angles and the entire process.

Thanks - I'll be sure to pass on the praise..

-J

Dave Shepard

Are you sawing just heartwood? The heartwood of white pine is actually fairly rot resistant, if it is in a condition where it is not continuously wet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jason.weir

Nope Dave I'm sawing them straight through.

I'm not sure I've ever looked at a pine log to notice how much is sap wood and how much is heart or does it vary greatly per log?

Might be worth separating them out and keeping the sap wood for door shims..

-J

Bill_G

That's a thought, I guess you could edge off the sapwood on the blocks that don't have much.

GF

Enjoyed the video that was really neat.

Gary

WH_Conley

I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE.

An older neighbor of mine started talking about shingles one day, said he saw a "shingle saw" setting in a barn, setting there for years, not used. Probably haul it for junk.

He can't remember where. smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!