iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

started on a mill shed

Started by littlechub, April 12, 2009, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlechub

well i decided to get started building a mill shed last weekend. one of my buddys came up and we got all the post sat last saturday. had a few slow days at my regular job last week so i got the top stringers on and some of the sidewall girts for the siding. went and picked up trusses wednsday and we got the trusses on and some of the roof purlins yesterday. ive got to saw out about 30 more 2x4s and i should be ready for the metal roof by next weekend. its not near as big as id like to have but its what we could afford for now and i plan to add a 12 ft sideshed down each side as money allows it.

StorminN

Lookin' good, littlechub... good progress. How big is that building as it sits right now? I need to build one soon.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

littlechub

as it sits now the mainframe is 24x32. with buying the better metal for the roof with a good warranty ill have about 1200-1300 dollars in it when i get the roof on. im gonna saw out pine to put on for board and batten siding so there wont be much cost there either.

sawmilllawyer

Great shed, where did you get your trusses or did you make them? Welcome to the forum.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

WH_Conley

Bill

bandmiller2

Mill sheds always expand,very good start. The real spoiler is a roof over your log loading area to keep everything dry and clean in the winter,and enough logs ahead in mud season.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

littlechub

i decided to buy the trusses instead of trying to build them. ordered them from a local truss company in cotter, arkansas.
and W.H i could have went triple this size and it not been big enough! ;D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Little chub Welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) pull up a pack any time  ;) ;D 8)

Well your 24x32' ahead of me at the moment mate  ;) :D :D ;D 8) but you have to start somewhere dont you ;) :D I should catch you in the next 6 to 8 weeks as ill be starting a 24x60 6 post clear span heavy pole frame  ;) to put the lucas in for a start this winter then it will get booted out into another 30x20 when the Meadows goes in at a later date it will get extended to 24 x 90 odd feet   ;) :D :D 8)

are you putting a concrete floor in it   and what sorta mill have you got mate  ??? ;)  ;D

Anyway A Blokes Gotta have a shed Mate its a god given right  overhere/anywhere  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8) or I must just like having rainy days off  ;) :D :D :D :D ;)

Keep up the good work Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

littlechub

no concrete till the budget allows it but i do plan for concrete eventually. for now im gonna used crushed limestone and rent a plate compactor to get it settled goood and tight. and for my mill ive just got a little norwood bandmill i bought used a month or so ago.

Woodchuck53

Welcome aboard. You'll find no end to the talent and or comments from this group. Great looking shed and yep you can always expand. Board and batten is my favorite siding also and will look good on there. Keep the pics. coming I am always looking for (How he done it) ideas. Have a safe one CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

ScottAR

Howdy Neighbor...   Welcome to the forum!

Good looking shed!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Meadows Miller

Gday

Lc im using stabalised rock with 8% concrete ust in it  8"+ thick over the whole floor of my mill shed  ;) and its only about $60 au a ton in 28 ton loads  ;D 8) 8) 8)

with the applacation spread it out ,level ,wet ,vib roll it and wet again tooo easy weve done a couple off mates sheds in the last couple off months one 40x60 and another 30x 100 odd feet they both only took one day ea to do and came up well  ;D 8) 8) with one shed we mixed up a slurry and spread it out over the top with a broom  to give it a smoother finnish  ;)

Reguards Chris

ljmathias

Interesting change of direction for me with my new mill shed- built a pretty good size barn (36X60 enclosed with two 12X60 sheds under the trusses on the long sides) that I had thought would solve a lot of my needs- planned on putting the sawmill under the north side shed- would only use up about half and would be sheltered from rain and prevailing wind.  Situated the mill there and didn't like it at all- too close to the wall for easy access in and out (logs in from the open side, sawdust out next to the wall with me walking up and down in the sawdust pile.  Decided to go with a dedicated mill shed- 14X30 with both long sides open most of the way.  Got the slab poured, pulled the wheels off and set it up with permanent legs- wow, does it work slick now.  Logs come in one side, flitches back off onto the front end loader bucket, sawdust and boards out the other.  Plenty of elbow space, no walls to get too close to and a good breeze blowing from my right side back: perfect!  After the tune up on the sawmill, it cuts so smooth and straight I hate to change the blade for fear of loosing it...  Cut up a couple SYPs and a small cherry (10-14" and 30' long, but not all that straight).  Makes it so easy to clean up- just pull the FIL to the sawdust side, lower the bucket to ground level and push everything in to haul to the burn pile: slick as snot on a lever handle... at least I like it.  Still got the barn for storing, outside sheds for air drying as needed, and plenty of room to work inside.  It feels like I've done died and gone to heaven!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

littlechub

should have a few more pictures to post this evening, were finishing the roof metal today. the wind we are having here sure makes it fun.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Your Not Mucking Around Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) Ill have to check them out in the morning  ;)  ;D 8) 8) 8) Dont go fo any unplaned Flights On Us tho Mate  ;) :D :D :D ;D ;)

Reguards Chris

caver

Sorry for the slight hijack,
Anyone built a roof over a mill and have one side open to set logs on the mill?
Something to keep the worst of the sun and rain off of it.
My new (to me) mill takes up too much room in a barn I'm trying to finish.
I'm looking for pictures.
Baker HD18

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum Caver. I have some pictures of the one we built last year. I used a cantilever truss with a 10' overhang on one side. There are some pictures in my gallery or you can search the forum for mill sheds.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

ljmathias

I am just finishing up a 14X30 shed on slab dedicated solely to the mill.  Built with two SYP logs as beams on the front and back to hold up the rafters and purlins for metal roof.... but then, my snow load is roughly zero.  Works great for cutting- load logs on one side, take off slabs and lumber on the other.

Haven't got pictures of the shed with the roof on yet- bout to put some siding on and that will more or less finish it up on the outside; still planing on hooks, shelves and storage on the inside.  I'll get more pictures shortly.

Good luck.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

fishpharmer

Looks better in real life ;)

Although the pics are great.   I have been studying your mill shed and was wondering if you  or some of the other timberframer folks could tell me if you anticipate some "sag" for lack of a more technical term. 

I mean "sag" in the big cross beams, does that occur over time in an appreciable manner? 

Is there a certain length to diameter ratio that must be honored to prevent sag?

One more question, does a dry beam work better than a "green" beam, if it makes a difference at all? 

LJM I have nearly all the materials needed to build a shed similar to yours.  I am so tired of not being able to work on the mill during rain, extreme summer heat and darkness.  The only thing I lack are some trusses or cross beams like yours.  Thanks

Fish
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

zopi

Ok..I have shed envy now...LJ yours is pretty close to what mine is shaping up to be..'cept mine is ugly...and not plumb level or square..but it IS rustic...the neighbors like it..

The roof is unique..buddy of mine gave me a country buttload of concrete decking...to use for roofing on this project...roof is going nowhere.

I ran out of decking..trying to beg more now.

I will put the mill under it later this week and try to get pics...boy I owe alot of pics. I might even get a pic of the goat. I mean organic perambulatory weed removal device.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

Fish, the answer to all of your questions is...yes. :)

Wood stiffens as it dries, and also becomes lighter, making it hold its own weight better, and allowing more of its strength to support the structure above.

There are tables available to tell you what certain sized beams can support, but I'm not sure where to find them.  You could look in the Timberframe and Log Construction board, or just wait for someone less ignorant than I to point you to it. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

caver

Thanks for the shed pictures, that's the stuff I was looking for.  8)
Baker HD18

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pineywoods

Quote from: DanG on June 03, 2009, 09:44:27 PM
Fish, the answer to all of your questions is...yes. :)

There are tables available to tell you what certain sized beams can support, but I'm not sure where to find them.  You could look in the Timberframe and Log Construction board, or just wait for someone less ignorant than I to point you to it. ;D :D

They are right her on the forestry forum. Click on the red toolbox. Look for don p's formulas. I used them to size some beams for a bridge. Must have worked OK. Dozer crosses the bridge regularly, and it ain't fell in the creek yet  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DanG

See there?  I toldya that someone lacking in ignorance would come along! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!