iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need any info on marketing hardwood "Empress Splendor" Is it profitable?

Started by sherry, April 11, 2009, 10:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherry

I am interested in planting Empress Spendor trees.  Would appreciate any info, on where or whom to contact, about the need for this type of wood.

Jeff

Empress Splendor is a marketing name for an overly hyped species normally referred to as Paulownia Tomentosa.  It is native to China and considered an Invasive species here in the U.S.  We've seen a lot of hype about the growth rates but not once have we had someone come on the Forestry Forum and tell us how they harvested and made money on them.  The hype comes from the people trying to sell you trees.  You can searhc the forum and find several conversations on the trees, including one from several years ago where some of us tried to grow some from seed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I think I remember one member commenting recently about harvesting some in a sheltered gully that he believed to be of decent quality. But conditions where just right, and a gully tends to be nutrient rich in the lower end with plenty of moisture as well. I forget which state this was, but there is a limit to how far north they will grow well at. Way up here in my area they grow up off suckers and the winter kills them back. After a few years they look like a lilac clump, only with a lot of dead stems. I don't know much about them personally. I prefer working with native trees.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!