Sponsors:

Stihl ms 290 max bar length?

Started by blame, April 11, 2009, 02:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blame

Whats the max length bar you can use with a Stihl MS290

blame

Ianab

18" is probably about right. I think they are sold locally with a 20" bar and run OK.

If you ran one with a skip chain it could probably run a 28" bar.  It wouldn't be fast , but it would work.

I have a Ms310 (5cc bigger brother) with a 20" bar, works OK in softwood. But for the bigger stuff a bigger saw is better.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawTroll

Information collector.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ErikC

I do fine on my 290 with a 20" bar, skip chain. It might do 24" in softwood with that chain, but I think 20" is about all it wants.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

Sure you can a long bar on a little saw.It just won't cut too fast .

The greatest extreme of this I've seen is a 6 footer on a Mini Mac 110 . It cut you just couldn't lean on it too hard . :D

markct

i dont have the sheet in front of me, but im almost certain stihl recomends 20 inch max on the 290 and 25 max on the 310. i have a 18 inch bar for my 310 and a 25 inch bar with skip chain and the saw has no trouble pulling itself thru a full bar of oak. i once cut a 4 ft oak log with it and it cut great but just barely met in the middle! i think the skip chain realy helps since theres half as many teeth cutting at once, and the skip chains sure do cut fast and are faster to sharpen too

SawTroll

Quote from: markct on April 12, 2009, 10:16:46 PM
i dont have the sheet in front of me, but im almost certain stihl recomends 20 inch max on the 290 and 25 max on the 310. i have a 18 inch bar for my 310 and a 25 inch bar with skip chain and the saw has no trouble pulling itself thru a full bar of oak. i once cut a 4 ft oak log with it and it cut great but just barely met in the middle! i think the skip chain realy helps since theres half as many teeth cutting at once, and the skip chains sure do cut fast and are faster to sharpen too

Sure they do, what they "pull" is depending on your expectations, and a lot of other factors - there aren't any limit carved in stone....... :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!