iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prentice Model 110 Load Capacity Question

Started by sparky, April 11, 2009, 12:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I just bought a tandam axle International truck with a model 110 Prentice loader fitted with a grapple. I would like to know what the lifting capacity might be. I was unsuccessful on an Internet search. The rig is in good condition and I am looking forward to playing with it.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

4genlgr

sparky i ran a 110 for 15 years and then switch to a 120 extenda boom. i really lliked my 110.We got it used with the truck we bought. loaded a lot of wood with it.Things to waatch for:

the eyes on the link that runs the swing boom. I had one set of those break. Fortunately it happened when I stopped lowering the swing boom to let go of some wood. had the replacement reinforced so it was stronger.

There is a collar underneath the a-frame held two big bolts. KEEP THEM TIGHT!! That collar stablizes the rotation of the whole thing. I broke that piece and it let the column wobble and gave enough space for the rack to jump some cogs. I was able to get a new casting when I broke mine but a friend broke his a few years ago and had to go to a fab shop and get one welded up $$$$ less than a new loader though. There are four bolts that do hold the turn cyclinder on and they need to be tight also, but they are threaded into the A-frame. If they get stripped you can put a long bolt thru the a-frame and hold it that way saw alot that way before the 120's took over

On the back of the swing cyclinder is a grease fitting and an ajust for the rack to keep it at the properengagement with the turn gear.

Above all keep it greased and if the pins get sloppier than you lilke they can be rebushed.

mine was built in 75 we got it in 80 and ran it until 2000.treat it right it will serve you well

you ask about lifting power   
things I did that may have pushed the envelope
dragged an IH TD6 onto the truck from the side no motor but tracks

load a 800+ bdft white pine log onto the truck one end at a time took it off all at once. it was on the bottom
put a 750bdft pine on top of the load  had the forklift at the mill come over so I could just set on the forks and not open the dowwnnnn lever
picked up a 4x5 concrete manhole
any way you get the picture that main cyclinder has all sorts of pick up power the thing is hte swing doesn't quite match. the really big heavy stuff i had to bring in close so all the lifting was done with the main piston
you should have a good loader tha atwill pick up most thing you want it to  good luck

oh and by the way I also picked up a pulp hook that my son dropped while striking a load for me
yes it is very versatile :D

Meadows Miller

Gday Will

It sounds like you got a good buy there Mate I havent seen any of the smaller pretice's overhere we mostly started with the 210a's in the late 70s up to the 400s alot of larger blokes are running those as truck mount loading logs at the landings loading 5 to 20 loads aday so they dont tie the faweders upp  and they get a bloody good runn out of them alot of the smaller truckmount loaders are hiab 600s to 1000 series ,Fiskas & Loglifts you also see afew std Knucke boom craines fitted with grab and rotators  ;) dad and i had a Fassi f85 that would lift about 2000 lbs at 38 odd feet 50' max reach which did a dang good job when we had the log building buisness  Mate ;)

Im looking forward to meeting up with you when you get to my neck of the woods theres not long to go now Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

Welcome to the forum 4glengr  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) I look forward to your imput Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

4genlgr

Thanks for the welcome    hope you guys downunder have gotten some rain to lay down those fires

sparky, did you get the pulp bucket( wide opening, light construction) or the by-pass bucket or even the original bucket? The guy we got ours from had both and made up a set of clam shell to bolt inside the pulp bucket for doing ditches and various things like that. The by-pass works real good for long length wood and logs. I don't want to sound like a knowitall these are just things I'd tell a buddy who called and said "Hey guess what i just bought!" On the orginals folks would re-enforce the corner where rotor assembly bends to go down to the hole for the pins to hold the jaws on. there was a tendancy to break at that point which did bad things to the rotor shaft. there is a spline inside the shaft that the rotor spins on,it can strip out after many many go rounds it can be repaied with what i know as a billeltte (a spline shaft coupler) and there is one snap ring holding the whole grapple assembly on. It kind of freaked me out when I found that out. Mine never let go but I've seen it happen.

good luck Ithink this has been more than 2 cents sorry

sparky

4genlgr & Chris,
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the maintenance tips. The purchase price was less than half of what I have seen them sell for, so I could not pass it up. 8) The rig is straight with no welds, or signs of any repairs, so it may not have been abused too badly ???. There are no significant hydraulic leaks anywhere ;D. The grapple is not a bypass, and I would not consider it large enough to be a pulp bucket, so it may be an original?

I have not taken delivery yet, so I will know a lot more after I return from an upcoming trip to "Chris Country". (My wife and I leave for a 3-week trip to New Zealand and Australia next Friday ::).)

Chris,
My free day in Melbourne is Tuesday, April 28. Looking forward to meeting you. I would hope to make a little sawdust with you as I do not intend to bludge, or cop it sweet, all day. After a week and a half of guided tours, I am welcoming a chance for a 1-day walkabout, of sorts. I will send you a PM with some details, or you can reach me at willog@aol.com, as well :) ;) ::).

Will (Sparky)
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

sparky

I posted a photo of my Prentice 110 loader in my gallary. I need to do some more homework in order to insert a picture in a reply to this post.

Sparky

beenthere

sparky
Easiest part once they are in your gallery.  :)
While in a reply post, click on blue hi-lighted Java Uploader just below this window. Then go to your gallery, and click on the pic that you want to post. It will come up full size. Then just scroll down below that pic to where it says in green print
"Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window"

Click on that line and say "yes". Then go back to the window tab with your Post reply and you should see it pasted right in there. If not, copying/pasting the URL will work too.

Give it a shot.  :)

Nice pic of your loader, by the way.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

I need that truck right now. I got to help my FIL clean up 10 big SYP from storm damage this weekend.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sparky

Thanks Bennthere for coaching me on posting photos. Where in WI do you live?

Don K., I would like to help you out, and have some fun with the loader. I work cheap, but you may not be able to afford the "shipping and handling" to get me there. Also, I am leaving for Australia this Friday. I will be visiting with Chris, (Meadows Miller) later this month.

Sparky

Meadows Miller

Gday

Will that looks like it wil do the trick Mate  ;) :D ;D 8) Looks Bloody clean for her age  :o ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) it sounds like it was a good buy too  ;) ;D 8)

Like you said itd be nice to bring it with you  ;) ;D  i wish it was as easy as an email  ::) but it probobly will be oneday Mate  :o :) :)  ;) :D :D ;D 8)

With the bus or the train ill look into times but i reckon the train will be th best bet for the time you have avalable but ill look at the scheduals and email you tonight inn about 4 hours time mate  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris

4genlgr

nice truck, is that a 2070 or a 2050 IH?  the bucket is one i never had only saw a few of them around here. should serve you well. even the seat platfrom looks almost level. the  ones up here would get bent from turning right over a log it didn't quite clear. what are you going to use it for?

have fun with it  keep an eye on those bolts ;D

Meadows Miller

Gday

4genlgr heres a question for you  what was a 120 extenda boom running at when you updated to one Mate   ;) Just thinking as i usually do  ;)  :D :D :D :D 8) 8) ;)

Ohh and we got some good rain about 3-4 weeks ago which put all the big fires out  ;) 8) 8) 8) the race is on now to get things cleaned up and start rebuilding the 28 towns that where affected in the area 6 where wiped off the map tho :o :o :)

Reguards Chris

4genlgr

bought mine used, 7yrs old for 13 grand as i remember. itweighted 1000 pounds more than the 110 but i really liked the extension glad to hear thinks are turning green

sparky

4genlgr,
The truck is a 1976 Fleet Star 2050A. It appears that it had an easy life. Some of the tires are a bit rough, but I have (4) newly recapped tires for it and my brother has a supply I can draw from as well. I plan to use it for loading and hauling logs and equipment, as well as on some construction projects. My brother and I will be erecting a 70' by 100' steel building this summer that we dismantled several years back. Down under there is an expression that goes: If it were raining palaces, I would get hit by a dunny (outhouse) door :( :(. That happens to me from time to time. In this case, the price of the rig put it in the category of a non-depreciating asset ;D.

Chris,
I won't be able to put the truck into service for another month move_it. I am certain that it will meet my expectations ???. I will look for the e-mail with your travel suggestions :P. I am looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks 8) 8) 8).

Will

4genlgr

thought that looked familar our first tri-axle was a 2050A 3208 CAT non turbo 13speed tranny

wish you were closer i stiil have the pulp jaws and clamshells from mine

have a good trip

sparky

4genlgr
You have a good eye for trucks! This rig has a 6-cylinder diesel with a 13 speed. Where are you located? I manage to get in a certain amount of travel now that I'm retired.

Sparky

4genlgr

I'm in maine alittle north of portland on the coast. I come from a family that doesn't throw things out until we're sure we won't need it and than we still wait 5years before we reconsider and think on it somemore ;D ;D

if you want i'll take some pic and figure out how to post them and go from there.

i also am taking off for a week so it will be when i get back

sparky

4genlgr,

I have traveled in Maine on a couple of occaisions and I think it is one of the most beautiful states. I am interested in what you might have. My friend trucks to and from Maine on a regular basis, so transportation may not be an issue. I grew up on a farm, so I can identify with your family's policy of not throwing things out. We kept a pile of scrap behind the shop and when something was too bad to be considered scrap, it became rebar for the next concrete pour! I was once recognized as being the most frugal member of my engineering department. I took that as a complement.

Sparky

SouthernRumRunner

The one that i had when i started logging several years ago had a max rated lift capacity was 12,000 lbs. :o

sparky

SouthernRumRunner,

Thanks for the info!

Sparky

Meadows Miller

Gday

:o :o :o Will you and your brother   arnt  mucking around with that bloody shed (industrial complex :D) Mate  ;) Ahh every mans dream ;)  but what happens when you fill that one up Mate  :o :)  ::)  ;) :D :D :D :D :D

we only got a handfull of the Inter 2000 series Fleetsstars here manly had the smaller loadstars the C&D series also  and then we jumped right up to the Transtars  4200s to 4800s in the 60s and 70s and Offcorse our verry own ACCO series which has been running from the 50s to now  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)
With the price thats why I Love the older gear   ;)  ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)She aint gonna drop too far in value (if at all) you just have to give it Plenty off  Tlc Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris

SouthernRumRunner

You're welcome Sparky.I'm glad that i could be of service. 8)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the forum SouthernRumRunner  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Are you mainly in logging or are you like me and do abit off Everything Mate  ??? ;) ;D ;D 8) I like your user name Mate ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris

SouthernRumRunner

Thanks meadow miller. I'm in a little bit of everything  8)My user name came from a show i saw on the history.

sparky

G'day Chris,

I am in the southern half of the hemisphere at this time 8) 8). It is raining here in Auckand, New Zealand, today >:( and we start heading south tomorrow. We will attend a native cultural center O0 and see the thermal area. Did you find a rail or bus schedule that seems to be satisfactory for the 28th?

The metal building will house wood processing equipment. Things like planers, bandsaws, and my circular sawmill. He has 480 volt, 3-phase, electrical service on site so everything will be electrically powered.

Will

Thank You Sponsors!