iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you fell alone?

Started by Scotswood, April 10, 2009, 02:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotswood

Hello,

Can I ask how many you, who have the choice (or maybe have no choice) fell trees alone?

I often work alone with the chainsaw in a small forest dealing with spruce up to 10-12 inches at the base. If things went wrong I'm a bit of effort away from getting help, half a mile from a main road, but no phone signal etc.

I don't really have much choice because I'm not a 'professional' and have to fit this around my other job and can't always arrange a workmate.

I'm never happy about working in the forest alone, and go as carefully as I can - I have my safety gear etc. and my wife knows when I'm due to walk up the hill to get a signal and check in, but that's about it.

How do you feel about it ?

Scotswood.

beenthere

I work alone, most of the time. Going back out shortly. 

If it is going to get done, it will have to be.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mike_Barcaskey

preferrably not, but what got to get done, gets done
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ernie

Yes, frequently.  I am very careful but I am also old and know where I am going when my time comes so I am not overly concerned.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

jander3

I don't cut down trees alone.  However, I do run a chainsaw mill and cut log notches and grooves by myself.  I am a couple miles from a vehicle.  I love working alone, however, the older I get the more it concens me.  

When I try and recruit help saying, "First, we strap our chainsaws to our packs and walk in 1.5 miles," my friends seem to shy away from me.

I've been talking with my wife and I may get a satellite tracking device with a 911 option, it would make her feel better.  

Link to the device and service I'm thinking about.
http://www.findmespot.com

Tom Sawyer

As little as possible, but it does happen sometimes.  I make sure I have my cell phone with me, wear all the safety stuff and avoid trees that look like they could cause problems.  Like the others, I don't like it, but sometimes it has to be done.

Tom

okie

Nearly always. The only time it really boogers me up is when something I do'nt expect to happen happens. The other day I was felling a tree with a very slight lean to it, I notched it to fall in the direction of the lean. As I was making my felling cut, a very large gust of wind came up, broke the hinge sideways and the tree fell straight at me :o :o. I could not have possibly planned for this but had a fairly clear escape route and made it out. There is'nt a place that I cut regularly that I get cell reception. I always let someone know where I'll be at though.
Just gotta be real carefull and not get comfortable and do'nt take anything for granted. Most of the trees I fall are red oak 18''+dbh, I reckon if one of them lands on me there aint a whole lot anyone coud do for me anyhow ::).
Be carefull.
Morgan
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Sprucegum

I fell alone and like it that way.
When friends or family come out I do not want to put them in harm's way. When I am alone I can focus on myself and my own safety, regardless of whether I get anything accomplished or not. If I get cell reception its still a minimum 2-hour wait for help so I make sure I don't need any.

timber tramp

I've worked both ways. Falling alone and in teams, pros and cons both ways.  These days I prefer to work teams so I don't have to carry my own gas can. ;D ;D  :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

thecfarm

I cut alone.It's only firewood now,so it's not the volume it use to be.I don't really think about what if.When my Mother was alive she did that for me.Now my wife does the same thing.No need to have 2 people worrying about what if.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

I fall on my own sometimes just take your time and stay safe Mate  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

badpenny

Chris, only 1 smiley? You're slipping, mate.
   I fell alone most of the time, and carry a 2-way radio, the other half is at Mom's in her pocket when I'm out working, also a cell phone. We have agreed upon check-in times, and she will call if the saw has not run for a while. Not the best situation, but it has worked so far. It tends to make me even more careful than normal.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Meadows Miller

Gday

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) Jeff better order some more in Bp  ;) :D ;D ;D 8)
I realy like the quote on the btm of you page Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Mooseherder

I don't like cutting trees when I'm alone but don't mind thinning small stuff.
I'm more afraid of Weed Whacking around my pond and an Alligator I didn't notice coming out for a snack. 
Do you feel better now? :D

Jeff

Last year I made the promise that I would not run the chainsaw when I was up north and I was by myself. This year, I'm doing what I want as I want.  I can't get anything done making a promise like that. SO, the Promise is rescinded. If you find out I got hurt at some point in the future, please point this post out to Tammy, because its the only way she'd going to know about it is to read it here. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Scotswood

Good to know I'm not alone in felling alone!

Jeff, if you have a mishap I willl let your wife know. Moossherder, if you get eaten by an alligator do you want me to let your wife know? or will she be able to tell by the empty pair of shoes by the pondside - we don't have alligators in the UK, all we know about people being eaten by alligators is what we can glean from Tom & Jerry.  ;)

I do recall being in Florida years ago and having to stop on I75 (?) to let one cross the road. It was as big as the car.

beenthere

Scotswood

You have ta stop drivin those little cars.. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ontariologger

i always fall alone, kinda like it too.  dont have to worry about anybody getting hurt except me. but i do like somebody skiddin from me. kinda gives an ease if i do get hurt somebody is coming back to find me

arojay

I fell and skid alone all of the time.  Sometimes I will have customers cutting on a landing, but I can't rely on that.  I wear all practical PPE.  I always have a shell dressing in my pocket, F.A. kit on the skidder, radiophone in the truck at landing and someone who knows where I am and when I will be home and I make sure to let them know when I am out of the bush.  The most important safety measures for me are to do the work with the most risk earlier in the day when I am at my freshest, take my time and don't get in a rush, take a tea break when I feel like I'm running out of gas and plan my day so that I am done before I get tired.  In my experience, things tend to go wrong when you work tired.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Maineloggerkid

I always work alone. It is more dangerous, because I am so far away from help out here, but I like doing things my way, and it is more simple.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Raphael

I fell alone quite often, no 2-way or cell...
I never gave it much thought until the safest logger I know got blindsided by a widow maker.
:'(
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

JimMartin9999

I fell alone and actually like it.  I have a neighbor who I tell what time I will be out of the woods and if I´m five minutes over,  he calls for help.  I also have a cell phone.
With all due respect I think that no matter how careful you are, there are lots of things which can go wrong beyond your control.  So, felling alone is not a good idea.
Jim

thedeeredude

I never cut alone.  We have an unwritten rule that you don't run the saw alone.  It also always helps to have someone watching for widow makers and other hazards and to get stooopid people out of the way.

OneWithWood

Being basically anti-social I do almost all of my work alone.

If I need to fall a big dead tree I will take my wife along just in case a widowmaker has my number on it.  She hates it but comes along and makes sure she has a signal on her cell phone  ;)

Up shortly is dropping the 110' monster sassafrass with the big crown that died suddenly last fall (it is still listed in the Indiana Big Tree registry).  Being a brittle tree, prone to dropping limbs, I really want her there.  If it is hollow I will walk away.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frickman

I fell alone all the time now. Every time I have been hurt in the woods I was with someone else and it was their fault. Idiot employees mostly.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

CLL

I almost always cut alone, but I do keep a cell in my shirt pocket. If I don't have reception I go out and call my wife and tell her exactly where I am.
Too much work-not enough pay.

kenneth

I always take my dog with me ( I dont think that counts ) I always let my wife know where I am. It is nice when there is cell service, but that does not always happen. This year I got a nice big first aid kit( makes me feel a little better ) Like others have said, I do not like waiting on others to go with me.

Tombstone

1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

cheyenne

I work alone and I enjoy it. That way I only have to worry about myself and I can keep my mind on what I'm doing. When the body says enough I quit. It's Beerthirty  8) 8) 8).....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

timberjack240

ive worked alone i prefer to have a skidder operator w me. after i was over a mile from the truck and got hit across my back layin on the ground when it was bout 20 outside that was fairly convincing.. but i have stayed late and was cuttin 40 + in poplar trees over 120 ft tall by myself to get the 4th triaxle load of the day (which in 7-8 hr day is pretty good haha). but i prefer to have somebody checkin in w me every now and again i always cary a phone w me too

Tombstone

............yeah all by myself....
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

fuzzybear

unfortunatly  I fall alone. I have to be extra extra carefull .  My nearest life line is over 125km away and there is no cell phone service. I am looking for a dependable sat phone, but even with satalite it is very hard to get reliable service this far north.
   The grove I'm cutting at this time is a "drunken" forest. and the trees are all leaning the wrong way so I have to use wedges.  Most of my wood lot is "drunk" because the perma frost is melting at an alarming rate.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Magicman

I do.  There is no cell service at my tree farm, so last year I bought a SPOT.  It goes with me now when I'm hunting or cutting.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bill m

I work alone all the time. I know it is not safe but what is? The next time I cross the road could be my last. I have attended many chainsaw safety classes including Game of Logging 1-3. I also teach chainsaw safety, but that does not mean I will not get hurt. So pay attention to every detail when you are in the woods and hopefully we will all come home at the end of the day.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

motohed

I have to say when felling ,I have and do work alone quite often. I have worked with others and with the right felling partner twice as much gets accomplished , when there is trust and true safety involved . On the other hand I have been in some hair raising moments with other sawyers of different experience ,and safety values . I would prefer to work alone . Some of these guys were very safe knowledgable cutters , just not good at communication ,which is just as deadly as inexperience .

Thank You Sponsors!