iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike Trip 09'

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 09, 2009, 04:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

The Lovely Miss Celest and I are planning this years bike trip. This year it's going to be a triangle, sort of.  The first 2 weeks of June we are going to ride from Maryland to Key West Florida, then we are going to ride the gulf coast around to New Orleans, and on the final leg we will ride north until we hit Kentucky, ride across it to West By God Virginia and then turn for home. About 3,500 miles.

My buddy Mike and his wife Cheryl are going to ride the first leg with us down to Key West. On our way back up we are going to stop in Tampa and have ribs at one of my favorite places Kojacks. Kojacks has the best I have ever had, and I am in the middle of a life long search for the best ribs. From there Mike and cheryl are going to catch the auto trane for an overnight ride home. While Celest and I continue on into the sunset.

Waa Hoo
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WH_Conley

When you take I-64 east through Ky, you will be about half way between me and Big_Sid. Give us a shout.
Bill

moosehunter

Jon, I'm going to make one of these trips with you some year :)
Have fun!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

WH, I'll do it.

MH next year we might just run right by your house and pick you up ;)

Jon

Raider Bill

I'm just west of Tampa in LArgo. Give me a yell.
Is Kojacks on Gandy? Seems I've been there.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

YUP! on gandy, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you!  8)

chet

Good luck gittin' ole Jon ta stop by, or even toot on his way past.   :D  He gits dem tires rollin' under him and he gits tunnel vision.  Dem folks drove right on past me last year.  :-\ And I ain't gonna let him furgit it niether.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

fishpharmer

which way are you going from New Orleans to KY?  You would enjoy seeing Natchez and riding up the   Natchez trace a ways.  The trace has a strictly enforced speed limit of 55.   But if you come up  I 59 you will be near me.  Your welcome to stop in Meridian, MS.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

We'll be in your path via West Palm.  About 15 miles west of there anyway. ;)
Key West from here on Bike is about 7 hours with stops along the way.  I've done it a couple times.  ;D
They don't like loud Pipes down there so easy on the throttle.  I'll PM you my Phone number Jon.

DanG

Ya won't be that far from me when you get into the Panhandle, either.  When you get to East Point, you're 50 miles due South of me.  I'd be more than glad to drive down and shake your paw, spring for seafood, and show y'all a couple of things you might not have found. ;D  I'll PM ya my # as well.  :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

I feel real bad about not stopping in to visit Chet, I was toolin through the UP thinkin, man there aught to be someone to stop in on, someone I know and have met a couple of times, Ah well better pour on the coal if I wanna get to Jeff's tonight. When we got to Jeff's he asked me why I didn't stop in on Chet. And when I had just about gotten over the guilt...

I will truley try and meet up with as many FF members I can along the way, be it for lunch or dinner or a hand slap as we go by.  ;D

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Added cruse control to the bike weekend before last. I like the way it came out. Had to swap out both hand controlls and add a module down by the batt box but all of the wiring harnesses were pre wired in.

As Raider Bill suggested last year I am finally dropping the bike off tonight and having my cam tensioners checked. They seem to wear out prematurley.

Gettin excited about gettin goin!

Jon

Raider Bill

Hey man that's my bike!
Good to hear you are getting them checked. Big issues. I put in gear to gear timing.
Mine has factory cruise. If I use it after awhile it will over heat and shut off. I need to check it out some day.....

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, I'll drop it off on my way down  :D

Raider Bill

Don't forget to wash and wax it for me! ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Chet on April 09, 2009, 10:13:26 AM
Good luck gittin' ole Jon ta stop by, or even toot on his way past.   :D  He gits dem tires rollin' under him and he gits tunnel vision.  Dem folks drove right on past me last year.  :-\ And I ain't gonna let him furgit it niether.  ;D

Yeah, he rolled by here, just two miles away when he crossed the Canada border from Maine. He done forgot where that first left up the road a mile went to.  ;D :D

When ya lose site of Mnt Katahdin, look out for a hill with windmills next time. I be on the otha side, but a couple miles south and east. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

We are gettin real close, less than w weeks to go. Leaving Friday morning the 29th.

I got my bike back from the shop and the Mechanic said the shoes were about to fail and be metal on metal! Thanks Rader Bill, that would have been a big problem on THIS trip :o

Oil changes and a pre ride polishing this weekend.

Oh I'm havin a hard time sittin here at my desk...

Jon

Raider Bill

Your leaving on my birthday, should be a good sign! 8)

Did you replace the tensioners or go with gear to gear timing?

Yes that would have ruined a good bike trip for sure. Dead on the side of a road a long way from home and looking at a couple grand in repairs.

pigman

Raider Bill, if Jon was dead on the side of the road, I don't think he would be worrying about bike repairs. ;)  Or were you refering to the bike being dead? :-\  ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

He'd be in heaven worried about his scooter ;D

isawlogs

I thougt Scooter was with Jeff . ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Scooter is a effectionate term we call our Harley's.

Carries-Mom

Wow!!!  Sounds like a cool ride...You'll be coming thru my new neighborhood then...Tarpon Springs.. just a little north of Tampa..ain't been ridin' on the bike in about a year...Haven't been on here for a while either...was busy trying to keep our house out of foreclosure, but couldn't...a bike ride sounds like a great idea...need to find a babysitter for carrie though.. ;D  Be careful and have lots of fun!!

tractormanNwv

Have You ever Rode the Gulf Coast along Mississippi and Louisiana? Just Wandering, I Live in West Virginia but I work here in Miss, La area right on the Coast, and have Hauled the Bikes down and enjoyed a Weekend with the Wife Riding. Our Favorite Stretch is along HWY 90. Have Fun.

Jim

Weekend_Sawyer

3 days and I'm really really ready to let the clutch out on this one!

I completed maintenance last night. I did a good cleaning and she is sparkling. Trying to get everything here in order for the trip. Had to put in this years sprinkler system for the garden. Now all my brothers have to do is turn it on ;)

I went with the factory replacement on the cam shoes. This is the last year for Elvis the Road King. Next year I'm taking delivery on a 2010 Street Glide. 8)

Tractorman, The second leg of our trip is to ride the gulf coast around to New Orleans. Mabe take a DanG detour up to Chattahoochee.

I'm buiser than a one armed paper hanger with a one legged ladderman but I'm lovin it!
Jon

Thank You Sponsors!