iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone want a freeAA oak?

Started by RavioliKid, August 16, 2003, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavioliKid

Hi, guys!

I'm having my dead oak taken down soon. I'm sure there are a lot of board feet in it. I'd like to give it to someone, if anyone is interested.

Anyone want it or want to come look at it?

I'm in Kalamazoo, and so is the tree.
RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Hmmm...

Okay, I don't know where the AA came from in the title of the post. I swear that tree doesn't have a drinking problem!  :D
RavioliKid

Frank_Pender

Hey Rav, how about saveing me some acorns from your Oak? :)   If you would please send me a few dozen I will do my very best to get them going, out here in Oregon. 8)  I have been successful in starting some from Georgia and Tennessee. ;D  So, why not  from Kalamazoo.  8)  I will send you the cost of shipping if you need to be reimbursed.   ;D  This way the tree could sort of continue to survive, so to speek. ::)
Frank Pender

Kevin

Rav;
Who is taking the tree down?
We'll need pictures.

Frank_Pender

Yep, Rav, if we have pictures I could download  and print them to show the new shoots as they would have a n idea of where they came from.   :D  It is always good to know ones roots. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Woops, I just thought of something. ::) :P  How about marketing some of the acorns, Rav.  It could be a special fund raiser for you class this coming year.  From the whole ordeal you could have dozens of teaching moments: finacial, geographical, ecological, climatology,  chemistery, (soils), marketing techniques/methology.  All sorts of ...ologies could be involved.  How about it, can I purchase some Acorns from your Oak Tree? ;D
Frank Pender

oakiemac

Rav,
What kind of Oak is it? What is the diameter and length of the logs? Is it a yard tree? I live just west of Kalamazoo, I might be interested. Thanks.

Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

RavioliKid

Okay, guys...

I have no acorns from this tree, as it died sometime in 2002. There were leaves in the 2002 growing season, but nothing at all this year.

But, Frank, I am sure I can get you some acorns and send them to you. Some friends of mine have very fruitful oaks and I know they won't mind if I harvest some. I'll let you know when they are ready and then you can send me your address.

Yes, this is a yard tree. At about 4 feet up, it divides into two trunks. Each trunk seems to have a diameter of about 2.5 feet. I'm a little less sure about the lenth of the logs, but I think you could probably get 16 feet out of each trunk before the crown begins.

RavioliKid

Jeff

Frank if you remind me, I have a beautiful specimen of a Northern Red Oak here in the yard. It should make for some fine looking children. Long of Stem and straight and healthy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

As Sam the Firefly would say, "Yeow, wow!".  8)   Thank you, Rav and Jeff. :)   I sure do appreciate the opportunity to get some Acorns from your necks-of-the-woods.  ;D  I can hardly wait. :-/

Ihave been trying to find someone that has acess ot Hickory nuts, so as to raise up some of them for the Grandchildren.   Anyone have some Hickory nuts they wish to send out West?  I will gladly pay the frieght.
Frank Pender

Jeff

Maybe. The deer always beat us to them. We have bitternut shellbark and shagbark growing on the river flats at the old farm. There was also a couple butternut but they finally died. Those river flats is a dangerous place to be a tree. Must be the plenty of water and nutrients make up the difference of being flooded and getting the beejabbers beat out of you by flood debri.

Its always fun in the spring to see whats hanging in the trees. :)

RavioliKid

You hit the mother lode! I have two beautiful hickories right here in my back yard - and another couple over in the side yard. I just have to get to them before the squirrels do.

I am assuming that all I would need to do is walk around and pick up the fallen nuts and put them in a squirrel-free, bug-free place to dry.

Am I right?

Send me your address, Mr. Pender!
RavioliKid

Frank_Pender

Rave, no need to let them dry. Simply gather up as many as you wish to send and place them in a "baggie (s)) and place them in a sturdy cardboard box.  "Yeow, Wow!" 8) 8) 8)   Also, check your personal Forum Mail.
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Woops.  Mr. went by the wayside, three years ago when I retired from Teaching, Mrs. Rav.   ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

Frank,
  I have lots of  Mocker nut Hickories and could send you some if you wish.  I also have  white oak, red oak and osage oranges.   Lots of walnuts and persimmion.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

Gee, whilliykers, I am going to be getting back into the nursery business, it looks like.    "Yeow, Wow!".   That sounds terrific 8)I do know that the Osage does grow here in the Willamette Valley, as one of my students designed and built me a Native American Bow from some that was growing at a friends place about 45 miles South of me.  

Check your Forum E-mail, Arkansawyer for location to send.  Please make sure, if you send some seeds that they are identified for planting and growing purposes.  I sure do not want egg on my face in a few years when someone says,  "That is not a Persimmon tree, but an Osage Orange." :'(
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

My tree is coming down! I think the guys will finish up today.

Unfortunately, I have been at work while they were slicing it up, so I didn't see how they did it, but each day I'd return and more of the ol' giant would be on the groung.

Oakiemac...if you are out there, you need to let me know if you want the logs. Otherwise, I'm going to have to let the tree guys hack them up and take them away.  :(

Man, I'd hate to see all those boardfeet wasted!

RavioliKid

dail_h

Hey Frank,
   The only thing that I have that none of the other guys have is captala (sp).Be glad to send seed .Trees are spectacular when in bloom
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jeff

DanG

Whaddaya mean "nobody else has them"!?  I gottem comin' outta my ears.  Well, not eggzackly, but they're comin' outta my dirt. They do bloom kinda pretty, but they are most spectacular when they're in FULL WORM! ;D

Hey Frank! Ya ever tried a Live Oak out there?  I could send a pack of acorns if you want to try it.  I got some other specimens that might be innerstin, too. How about some Wisteria? Kudzu? Dog Fennel? Smut Grass is a local favorite. Once you get it, YOU GOT IT, BROTHER!  I also have some really nice Coffee Weed. The genetic engineering folks oughta look into it. It apparently has no natural enemies, whatsoever. A DanG goat won't even eat it! :-/

Seriously, though, I'd be happy to send any of our local species to you. You never know what might work, given the unique environment in your area.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

If he is goona try a live oak he needs seed from this one.

DanG

Which tree is that, Jeff? Most of the really big ones have a name and a story.  I was born a block from "The Big Oak" in Thomasville, Ga.  I can't remember the wingspan or the DBH, right offhand, but it is a huge tree.  Takes up the better part of a city block. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

biziedizie

Cool tree Jeff but what the heck is on top of that pole???

Spotlights???

Steve

DanG

Could be spotlights, Diz.  Live Oaks look really cool at night with lights shining up from beneath them. :)

Frank_Pender

DailH, sounds terrific.  I am trying to use up as much of the wife's horse pasture that is left, as soon as possible before she decides to get any more horses.   8) 8) 8) 8)

DanG, you can keep all of your "weeds" 'brother' I have plenty myself, including the dogfennel. :'(  However, I am interested in some of your trees, especially any of those that might be fast growing.  The Live Oak really sounds interesting and perhaps a bit challenging to get to grow a nice log bowl.

Jeff can you get me some Acorns from that tree in the picture? ;D
Frank Pender

Jason_WI

Frank,

Black walnut will work nicely to reduce your hayburner population ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Frank_Pender

I have tried that Jason, but she cought me. :'(
Frank Pender

Jeff

Frank, that Tree is in Jacksonville Florida. Itsthe Treaty Oak. You would have to talk to Tom. When we were down there we looked High and low and could not find a viable acorn.

Thank You Sponsors!