iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying 8/4 green quarter sawn white oak in Nyle

Started by Kelvin, April 08, 2009, 07:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Here is an update on my drying.  The compressor to the lumber from 60%MC down to 20% MC in roughly a month and quit there. I have since turned the compressor off and am running the heat at 160, which is removing about .25% MC per day or so for about 6 weeks.  Very slow and somewhat expensive in 20 degrees, but hopefully i will not have much degrade, though the ends are checked much more than any 4/4 i've dried but its not surprising. 

There is quite a difference in widths drying time.  Some that are 6" and under are 7% now but some of the wider 8-12" are still in the 12%MC which is annoying, but i guess thats how it goes.  Wish i didn't have my kiln tied up for the last 10 weeks, but this is the first real job i've had in months.  So in case anyone wanted to know about how fun it is to dry QSWO from green, this is what to expect.  One add on is that my Nyle was recharged badly by local quack.  I couldn't get anyone to come out to look at it once they found out it was a kiln unit.  Guess their brains don't work too well, and they aren't willing to make $250 for one hours work.  I have to unwire the whole thing and lug into some shop and force them to weigh in the right amount.  Makes me mad to loose the $200 i already wasted on it.  This makes the kiln not take QSWO down all the way, but will dry most other lumber fine.
See ya,
KP

Thank You Sponsors!