iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EAB bad news fo MN and Iowa

Started by Hackberry, April 07, 2009, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackberry

EAB has been found in Victory Wisconsin in Houston county.  That county is only one mile from MN and Iowa along the Mississippi river.  Guys, Please do not move any Ash within 60 miles of this area.  This bug is only getting started!  So much for free trade.

Hackberry

Redonthehead

We have them now in Missouri too, at a Corps campground at Lake Wappapello.  They're going to do a massive trapping effort this spring - ~1500 traps to attempt to contain it.

CHARLIE

The article I read in the St Paul Pioneer Press this morning said they think the EAB has been in the Victory area for at least 2 years. If that's true, then they've probably already crossed the Mississippi.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Corley5

There are places in Mi that are infected that don't have red dots on the gov't maps.  I got a load of 100" firewood from a state timber sale in the Goodhart area that had some standing dead ash with d shaped exit holes in what little bark was left  :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

estiers

I think they have stopped putting red dots on the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.  Now if you had received this load from the Upper...
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

chevytaHOE5674

The UP has EAB in some spots. Give it a few years and it will be wide spread, theres no way to stop it. The quarantines have done no good, so now its just wait until your trees get it.

Hackberry

Guys,

The news only gets worse.  My contact was one of the first at the Victory site.  Now they think it has been there for 3-4 years.  I'll bet $1,000.00 bucks it will be found in the T.C.'s and North and South Dakota in 2 years.  Mark my words, this will be way worse then DED.  The fed's have no clue on whats going on.  Thanks free trade!

Hackberry

beenthere

Hackberry
I think the feds and most everyone do have a clue as to what is going on.  ::)

However, I don't think anyone has a clue as to how to stop it.  :(

The knee-jerk reactions of trying to wrap up the outbreaks like has happened most places is Johnny-too-lately-come. The horse is outta the barn and long gone by then.

In my opinion, another example of throwing money at a problem, just to make it look like something is being done. Mostly all for show.

But we can hope.  In the meantime, mine are going into firewood, now!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inspectorwoody

Hopefully,with the new regulations put in place to heat treat all pallets,crates etc. for foreign exchange will help stop this sort of thing from happening again. The NHLA and other groups have been pretty strict on this.

We don't cut a lot of Ash at the mill but that might be a thing of the past if they find it here.

In an article from the Cedar Rapids Gazette,they said they have found signs of an EAB infestation on Iowa soil.

It also said Iowa has an estimated 58 million Ash trees in woodlands and 38 million in cities.

Allamakee County in NE Iowa may have 5 million Ash trees alone.

Hackberry

Guys

I hope no one took my bet.  EAB has now been found in St. Paul MN along the 280 and 94 exchange.  This critter is moving so fast that nothing will stop it!  Say good by to your ash trees and what ever else it will go after after all the ash are gone.  This will make DED look like a cake walk.

God bless us all!

Hackberry

Thank You Sponsors!