iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The future

Started by moonhill, April 07, 2009, 07:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

Could this be a peek at the future?  Back this winter I had the chance to test a segway while at Epcot in Disney World, it was a short ride and it comes with a learning curve.  It may not only be part of our future but GM's inevitable reconstructing. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090407/ap_on_bi_ge/general_motors_segway

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

moonhill

I only caught bits of Rush's show today, but as usual on such an item, he shot it down.  I think it can have a place. 

Tim

pineywoods

They have a major problem--people---. Users tend to ignore the low battery warnings. When the batteries run down, you get dumped on your keister.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

metalspinner

I took the short trip on the Segue at Epcot, as well. If I lived in NYC or the like, I would have one.

QuoteUsers tend to ignore the low battery warnings. When the batteries run down, you get dumped on your keister.

Piney, sometimes the best lessons you learn in life are learned the hard way. :D  We learn to fill the gas tank when the little light flashes, recharging the battery shouldn't be too much different.  The battery life is 12hrs, i believe.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

stonebroke

Too bad Segways are illegal in NYC.

Stonebroke

Raider Bill

Largo Police use them here for "hood" patrol. There's a dealership just up the road in clearwater.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moonhill

Glenn Beck even mentioned this today on his show, it's as if they (talk radio) are being fed some info and are requested to make comments on some items.  Glenn is a big supporter of GM, and his comments were somewhat disapproving.

As for the segway running out of power and dumping the rider, I'm under the impression it would shut down before it would malfunction.  Once accustom  to it's actions it is quite maneuverable.  A larger battery in the Puma would be an improvement, I could then make it to town and back on one charge.

Tim

Sprucegum

I have not yet seen one navigate a snow drift - not even a small one.

Ron Wenrich

It doesn't look like its much more than a fair weather type of transport.  I have never seen a Segway used anywhere.  It was supposed to revolutionize the way we get around.  It hasn't.

Basically, this is like an electric rickshaw.  How big of a market is there for rickshaws? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moonhill

Sprucegum, that is because you live in the wrong climate.  Here is a link to a future city in the great state of Florida. The Segway can be use year round with no snow or ice issues.  They do make a version with ATV tires on it, the narrow type found on the front, I bet it would maneuver through some snow, this would cut it travel distance down, it shouldn't be a problem in Florida or any where in warmer weather. They make a 4 wheel version as well, it goes up stairs, I imagine it would work well with a handicapped driver, allowing access to more locations.  

Here is the link, a solar powered city, self contained.  I wonder if it will be in the shape of a circle?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090409/us_time/08599189030800

This topic does not have to focus on the Puma, and what is up with the skepticism?  Let's use some imagination, dream a little, the future is coming and what does it look like?  Are you ready for it. Without innovation and trial we will not advance.  There is technology out there and it is not being use.

Ron, that is because you are looking at how our cities are set up today.  How often do you or any of us travel for silly reasons, milk, that one bolt and nut you don't have, 5 gallons of gas, to take the youngster to ball practice any number of reasons you don't need a 7 passenger mini van.  It may even travel on auto pilot, you could read a book or take in the scenery. 

Tim

bandmiller2

Segway log hauller has tracks insted of wheels.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: moonhill on April 10, 2009, 07:18:10 AM

Ron, that is because you are looking at how our cities are set up today.  How often do you or any of us travel for silly reasons, milk, that one bolt and nut you don't have, 5 gallons of gas, to take the youngster to ball practice any number of reasons you don't need a 7 passenger mini van.  It may even travel on auto pilot, you could read a book or take in the scenery. 

Tim

Now you're talking lifestyle changes.  I've pretty much done those on a personal level.  If I need that nut or bolt, it can wait until I go out the next time.  Same goes for gas, milk or anything else.  And I don't have a 7 passenger van.  Everything is compact.  But, I know you weren't talking to me directly.

I've often wondered why we don't have a second level on our streets where we could run some sort of an electric transit system.  My vision would be to have something similar to the third rail type of train system.  You could even go with a maglev type system.

Make the vehicles small so they can hold only a few people, or a few parcels.  Punch in a few coordinates to where you want to be sent, and let the computer do the rest.  No driver needed, and the computer could keep safe distances between vehicles.  Speeds would be faster.  Batteries wouldn't be needed since you're running off the grid.  Smaller vehicles would mean a lighter framework and easier construction of the highways. 

The problem with mass transit is that it is designed to move a lot of people, but it goes to very few points.  Cars allow us to move small amounts of people and parcels to many points.  A second level would allow us to move lots of small cargoes long distances and utilize the current right of way system.

Is that the kind of imagination you're talking about?

beenthere

Continuing Ron's thoughts (at least for me  :) ), set up a tube system of climbing into a personal tube, program the destination and get zipped off with a blast of air. Just like the systems in old department stores and now at Bank drive-ups.

Air travel could be similar..settle down in a room at the terminal, get in a coffin-like tube, take a whiff of gas to go to sleep, and wake up at the destination airport. Airline can handle your tube like baggage (?? now that is a potential flaw  :) ), and stack many more people into a plane like cordwood and wait until the planes are full before flying.  No fuss, no muss, no waiting, stewing, or fantisizing about dropping out of the sky. Be asleep the whole time.

Programmed life. Won't that be a blast.  Kinda like starring at a TV set, or a computer.  ::) ::) ::)

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Really know way of telling what the future holds,only know it will be differant.I'am glad I was born when I was.Youth is cock sure the old folks were doing it wrong,but people meant more to each outher.Have you noticed their are few characters anymore everyone is more or less the same,fit the mold and politcally correct.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Paul_H

There's no shortage of young "characters" in my neighbourhood.There are some industrious young fellows for sure.There are slackers too of course but there always was.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

moonhill

There you go Ron, that almost sounds like Disney World with the delivery system below in a lower level, unbeknownst to the mob above.  I like the air tube transporter. 

I always wondered what high paid sports player did with their money, investing in a solar powered city is one way. 

Tim

DanG

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 10, 2009, 09:54:10 AM
I've often wondered why we don't have a second level on our streets where we could run some sort of an electric transit system.  My vision would be to have something similar to the third rail type of train system. 

They already have that in some places, but for some reason they named it after a chain of sandwich shops. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

Beenthere, you been watching Star Track reruns again?
Bill

moonhill

I have heard that the cell phone was designed, in part, from the communicator, we have moved beyond that now with blue tooth and the ear piece.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/bluetooth-star-trek-communicator-025437.php

Tim

Ron Wenrich

DanG, that's not quite what I'm talking about.  I assume you mean Subway and not Blimpie's. 

When I think of a subway, they dig a tunnel, then fill it with a train track, water, rats and the homeless.   :D

DanG

Hey, we got around to talking about food within a page! 8) :D :D

This is a funny world we live in.  Here we are in the middle of a blubber epidemic, and all our effort is going into finding ways to prevent exercise.  I can see the yuppies riding their Segways to the gym so they can pay money to walk on a treadmill. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

moonhill

Here is a zinger for you all.  Scroll down and read the future starting around....... next year, 2010 on into 2045, under Predictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Tim

fishpharmer

Moonhill, I skimmed through all that wikipedia stuff.  Which, wikipedia is iitself one of those things that supposedly "evolves" with increased knowledge and such.  So be it.  What happens when all hard copies, i.e. written paper books are obsolete?  How easy would it be for one of the intelligent beings to rewrite history.  I hope that is past the "Singularity".  I could very well become one of the "Luddites."

After pondering the wikie stuff for a bit I try to contemplate how it will affect forestry forum.  Not sure about the forum itself.  I was thinking though that far enough in the future sawmills won't need us anymore.  Or we won't need sawmills per say. Maybe an machine can be programmed to enter the forest and emerge with a finished load of dried, planed lumber.  Its alot easier for my mind to say its all BS.  Yet the future will most certainly bring technological advances we now have trouble contemplating.

When I was young, in my teens, I can remember a rich guy that I worked for had a phone in his truck.  It had a huge antenna and was a big bulky box hardwired into the truck, not removable, with a corded hand set.   That was around the same time we were getting Apple computers in school.  Both devices seemed amazing.   Today I have a cell phone that allows me to do everything the early computers did and everything plus more than the early phone would do.  Now I can send and recieve emails, take digital photos, surf the net, post on the forum and do dozens or more other activities/functions on it.  The future is here, and its not waiting for us.  I hate to predict what it will bring.  I may just watch with my mouth wide open :D

I can only hope portable saws will get better ;D 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

moonhill

My memory of computers goes back to the 1980s and seeing my dad first use one to send news stories to Bangor.  I don't recall them in school, I graduated high school in 84.  I think they arrived in wide use in schools soon after and huge leaps since. 

The next 10 years seen reasonable and not that far fetched.  Makes one wonder.  BS or not it is coming. 

If you live in the nature preserve you might need the forum, although it may not be allowed, being a reserve and all, keep it natural.

It makes todays immediate issues seem silly, rickshaws and politics. 

Tim

SwampDonkey

Quote from: DanG on April 11, 2009, 09:24:47 AM
I can see the yuppies riding their Segways to the gym so they can pay money to walk on a treadmill. ::)

I seen that, only a different twist. Buy one of them home gyms, but decide you want to go to the gym and pay because your buddies are all hanging out there and it's another excuse to be someplace else. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!