iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack winch issue

Started by b11lefevre, April 06, 2009, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b11lefevre

I have a 205 and the winch control valve is blowing by causing the clutch plates(hercules winch) to stay engaged enough so you can't pull the line out.  Can this be fixed or do I need a new valve because the spools are a machine fit if I am correct? Thanks for any help.  I did take the winch off and everything inside looks good.

a old timberjack

??? when you pull your winch lever down to release, does the lever go into detent? ( stay locked ?) also, sitting in the seat moving the lever to release, does that single acting piston on the winch band move? and how aboutif u put your transfercase in n and put your tranny in 2nd and put your winch lever " in " does it power the cable ( winch) out ?? i have tried everything on my 225 and i have the same symptoms.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

MaineLogger

When you engage the pto it starts winching by itself?It could be the orifice valve in winch section of the valve bank is plugged up,or the line to the winch piston could have a bunch of crap in it too.I guess if you have already unhooked these lines to work on the winch then they got drained anyways.The same oil stays in these lines forever or until you drain them.
I would have a hydraulic guy really look your valve bank over before you buy a new or used valve.They tend to be expensive.
Good Luck.
Jon
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

lonewolf

You should be able to rebuild the valve it is just O rings and back up rings. If I had to guess I would say you have a bad seal. Start the machine up and see if the cylindiner on the brake side moves without the lever being acuated. If so the fluid is leaking internally. If you have troubles getting it fixed try RONCO Engineering at 1 888 766 2681 they have the parts and the ability to fix this. I was looking at a machine a year ago that needed the same valve rebuilt and I believe they wanted around 100 bucks to rebuild it.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

b11lefevre

MaineLogger - The band does release and the winch works perfectly when you put it in the winch in position.  Even if you put the pto in neutral with the lever that is right on the transfer case going to the winch, the drive shaft will still spin when you pull the cable out.  Somehow the internal cylinder for the clutch is staying applied, or keeping the plates pushed together.  I started the machine before I took the valve bank out and fluid was coming out of the lines even when in the center or hold position.  The detent does work properly as well.  I talked to a local hydraulics shop and they said it was probably blowing by internally, keeping pressure to the clutch cylinder as well as the brake cylinder but the brake worked fine because of the spring inside the cylinder was enough to offset the pressure leaking by.  I hope I answered as many questions as I could.  Any other ideas are greatly appreciated because I spoke with a couple places and the prices for used valves were $500 and up for stuff that may have the same problem.

Thanks again guys ???

MaineLogger

Sounds like your on to it.I had to replace the whole valve bank on my 380 a few years ago,I ended up buying a good used one off of an outfit in Quebec.I can't remember the name but they deal in Timberjack and used to advertise in logging magazines.I was happy with what I got and the price.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

a old timberjack

maine logger, i have the same issue on my 225 i been powering it out ( running out my cable with the reverser in and putting the lever in "in" , and the skidder in 1st gear so it is slow and i bungee cord the lever up, when i get to the tree i have to run back to the machine and put the lever in hold,NOT FUN EVERY DAY!!) at 1st i thought it was a band adjustment, tried it but the winch will not hold, put it back where it was and it works great! a old timer told me if it is working fine inside,( the winch )when u r winching up and u cansee the slides thru the fairleadwith a hitch on , when you put the lever in hold the hitch should drop a wisker before it stops, mine dont but it holds and works good but it is impossible to pull cable out by hand, any suggestions?? ...... thanks,Brandon

lonewolf

a old timberjack    I don't know if all of the eaton/hercules winches have one but I did have 225 jack that had a bolt on the underside of the brake band to adjust the roundness of the band when it was released. I never had to power out the winch as you describe but it would pull out really hard. Adjusting the bolt would make it pull out like a charm. This is not the drag adjustment with the little pad. It was on the cylinder side of the winch in the center botomside of the brake band.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

barbender

The one I was using was acting like this, it had ice in the hyd. line where it goes into the clutch cylinder  ::)
Too many irons in the fire

MaineLogger

Quote from: a old timberjack on April 08, 2009, 05:35:39 AM
maine logger, i have the same issue on my 225 i been powering it out ( running out my cable with the reverser in and putting the lever in "in" , and the skidder in 1st gear so it is slow and i bungee cord the lever up, when i get to the tree i have to run back to the machine and put the lever in hold,NOT FUN EVERY DAY!!) at 1st i thought it was a band adjustment, tried it but the winch will not hold, put it back where it was and it works great! a old timer told me if it is working fine inside,( the winch )when u r winching up and u cansee the slides thru the fairleadwith a hitch on , when you put the lever in hold the hitch should drop a wisker before it stops, mine dont but it holds and works good but it is impossible to pull cable out by hand, any suggestions?? ...... thanks,Brandon
Sounds like the brake band is too tight.Did this happen all at once or have you been tightening the brake band to overcome it slipping?Let me know.
Jon
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

a old timberjack

i have had it a few years now, it never slipped it been like that sence day one, like i was saying, i tried adjusting the band ( on the piston ) if i take just a little off the adjustment it wont hold the guy who i bought it from said he could never pull it out but it always held and functioned good but impossible to pull out, also, i looked several times there is no adjustment on the band( like u decsribed ) just those bumpers on the side, a oldtimer said he adjusted his band to a hacksaw blade with, tried it and no luck.....Brandon

MaineLogger

It's hard to guess without seeing it work.I think I would take the brake piston apart first  to see if every thing looks right inside of that.Maybe the spring is broke.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Thank You Sponsors!