iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boot break in...

Started by CounselorJ, April 06, 2009, 08:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CounselorJ

Hey folks,
    I'm new to the forestry scene, as I'm in the middle of a career change from something entirely different.  I'm a grad student here at UMaine, and I've gone and quit my steady job to take a summer position up here.  Now, I've never had a pair of good logging boots.  I bought a pair of Red Wings at the local boot shop and greased them up good.  I've got about a month before I need to really start using them.  Any tips for breaking them in?  I've been taking the dog for 30 min walks in them for the past two days, and they seem to be starting, but I figured you folks might know some good tricks or tips that I don't.  Or, I might just need to keep wearing them?

Thanks for any advice you can send a noobie...

beenthere

Years back, I followed the advice to walk in water to get them soaked real good, then walk/wear them untill they were  some dry. That would stretch the places needing stretching and shrink those places needing shrinking.
After drying, oiled them good and wore them some more. Seemed to work in the 60's/70's for Red Wings.

Then, I was introduced to Danner's and they started right off being/feeling "broke in". Haven't had a different boot brand since 1983.

Don't know why oiling good and wearing them after oiling wouldn't do the same as soaking in water.

Welcome to the forum. Others will have good tips for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I suppose you know about the Expo?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35903.0.html

Wrong time of year for new boots.No time to break them in outside.I use to wear a new pair until they would start to hurt my feet or what I mean to say uncomfortable,than I would put the old ones back on.Just keep swapping back and forth all day.Had one pair that took 2 weeks to break in this way.Wear them shopping,doing errands,any time you are on your feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CounselorJ

Thanks for the info about the expo.  I think I'll check it out, even though I'm just a student for now.  As for the boots, I guess I'll just keep wearing them as much as possible.  I'd heard the old "wet and wear them dry" rule about hiking boots, etc, but I'm not sure that's the best idea anymore. 

Thanks for the advice. 

DKinWA

It has been 15+ years since I had to break in a new pair of boots and I liked the method of soaking them and walking for a few hours to loosen things up.  Then I dried them over night and greased them up really good and wore them while working around the yard for a few days.  I thought it worked pretty good, but I always thought there had to be a better way to get comfortable boots.

Fortunately, I found Danner boots about 15 years ago and haven't had to break a pair in yet and I'm on my 4th or 5th pair :D

ely

i just put mine on and wear them until they are broke in. wear em wet and all eventually they will feel right.

TinMan

Danner super rain forest and some boot grease 8) 8) 8) wear em every chance you get. they will fit like a glove before you know it. ;D ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

Everyone's feet are different I suppose. I could always wear a pair of RedWing right out of the box and feel comfy. Caulk boots are never comfortable for me, but ya gotta have'm cutting brush.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Red Wing Loggers may take some time to break in due to their stiff sole; other boot models break in easier. You seem to be on the right track with them by wearing them for walking the dog etc. Just keep wearing and walking in them.

You may find that a cushion insole may help improve compfort. Also have some mole skin or "tough skin" available if you get pressure points during the break in period.
~Ron

Raider Bill

I wouldn't use Redwing boot oil to break them in. It's got a wax in it to protect that makes it somewhat harder to break them in.

I use Neadsfoot oil.

I'm waiting for the big brown truck now with a new pair of Hikers. 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

CounselorJ

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll just keep wearing them around, and I might look into a new insole.  As far as the grease/oil goes - it's too late, as I've already done it.  I used "Sno-Seal" brand ("The original bees wax waterproofing), as that's what the boot shop gave me.

sprintfan11

I have red wing steeltoe boots,the break-in wasn't too bad, they are waterproof and insulated. As far as breaking in boots, when I was in the Army I would wear Cocoran jump boots. When they were new, I soaked them in water and then wore them around the house. After they dried, I applied a generous amount of saddle saop and then polished them up with Kiwi. But, the first couple weeks would be tough, after that though they fit like a glove. Still the most comfortable boots I ever wore. ;D
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

Raider Bill

Ah my new hikers have arrived! 15EEEE :o Took so long cause they had to kill 2 cows for the leather.

My break in starts in the AM.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

cheyenne

Wear them all you can & lots of mink oil make um comfy.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Jasperfield

Build 3-4 small fires near your neighbor's property line, and with the wind blowing toward his land.

Walk back the house to get a shovel and then come back to the fires.

By the time the fires are out, you'll be well adapted to the new boots.

stumphugger

I think my new boots are requiring my feet to break in.  I'm wearing them now that the snow has melted to do little bits of work, then hopefully, all will be well if any trees hit the ground this year.  They are caulks and are pretty tough boots.  You wouldn't know the brand. 

pappy19

Snow Seal is good stuff, but only after your boots are well broke in and oiled. Snow Seal is a total wax and will not lube your leather. It is a good waterproofer but after alot of use, your leather will suffer. A warm water bath with your boots on and then walk till dry is still the best for breakin. Mink oil after dry and then after a dayo or so you can top them off with Snow Seal or bees wax. Some boot makers suggest a good warm/hot water soak once a year to rid your boots of foot sweat and salt.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

BrandonTN

I got a new pair of Danner fire boots a month ago. They feel comfortable walking around, but on really steep slopes the edge of the stiff heels dig into the inside of my heels. I'm hoping that will soften up a bit.
Also have trouble with my pinky-toes rubbing on the outside after hiking alot. I took them on an overnight hiking trip this week....hiked 4 miles up hill, then 4 down in the Smokies and the pinky toe on my left foot got a bad blister. I don't necessarily think they're too short...12's were too big, 11s too small. Maybe too narrow, but I have a narrow foot.  ???

I haven't tried the wetting method, but I do have some black dressing I put on them. Guess I still need to wear'em some more.
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

cheyenne

I always buy workboots a half size bigger & wear two pair of socks. Never had a problem.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

timber tramp

Quote from: BrandonTN on April 10, 2009, 09:44:06 PM
I got a new pair of Danner fire boots a month ago. They feel comfortable walking around, but on really steep slopes the edge of the stiff heels dig into the inside of my heels. I'm hoping that will soften up a bit.
Also have trouble with my pinky-toes rubbing on the outside after hiking alot. I took them on an overnight hiking trip this week....hiked 4 miles up hill, then 4 down in the Smokies and the pinky toe on my left foot got a bad blister. I don't necessarily think they're too short...12's were too big, 11s too small. Maybe too narrow, but I have a narrow foot.  ???

I haven't tried the wetting method, but I do have some black dressing I put on them. Guess I still need to wear'em some more.

Not sure how or why this works, but try dumping a shot-glass full of rubbing alcohol in your new boots as soon as you feel any friction on your feet. Sure beats blisters.  :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

SwampDonkey

Walking on side hills always seem hard on the feet no matter what boot. Should try it for 8 hours a day with a brush saw strapped on. The brush falls nice, but the feet take a beating.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tarzanstree

Quote from: stumphugger on April 07, 2009, 08:18:27 PM
I think my new boots are requiring my feet to break in.  I'm wearing them now that the snow has melted to do little bits of work, then hopefully, all will be well if any trees hit the ground this year.  They are caulks and are pretty tough boots.  You wouldn't know the brand. 
Kulien smurf boots 8)
Cody

"Tough times never last, but tough people do"

JimMartin9999

I bought a pair of White´s.  I am not sure what hurt more the boots or the price.
When I asked the company man how I could break them in faster and with less pain and asked what the company position was on getting the boots soaken wet, he said definitely don´t soak them.  One suggestion he gave me was to put a bit of alcohol , maybe mixed with water I forget now, on the spot that rubs.  I didn´t get around to it yet.

I didn´t get them broken in last season due to being a wimp.  I will give it another try this year.
Jim

SwampDonkey

Maybe mink oil would help. It comes in the form of a salve in a margarine tub. Take a rag and rub it in good. I use it on my caulk boot leather uppers. Water soaking leather ruins it and it cracks and gets rough and hard.

tarzanstree

Quote from: JimMartin9999 on June 24, 2009, 09:07:57 PM
I bought a pair of White´s.  I am not sure what hurt more the boots or the price.
When I asked the company man how I could break them in faster and with less pain and asked what the company position was on getting the boots soaken wet, he said definitely don´t soak them.  One suggestion he gave me was to put a bit of alcohol , maybe mixed with water I forget now, on the spot that rubs.  I didn´t get around to it yet.

I didn´t get them broken in last season due to being a wimp.  I will give it another try this year.

My Father-in-Law alway swore by filling them up with neatsfoot oil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil letting them soak overnight, or depending on how stiff they are, maybe longer.  I used to work with a guy that had a pair of Viberg corks, made out of water buffalo hide.  He said that they were so stiff that he started parking his pickup on them at night.

Cody
Cody

"Tough times never last, but tough people do"

Thank You Sponsors!