iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Right-sized chainsaw for the job

Started by ferp2, April 06, 2009, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferp2

Hello,

I've been looking around for a chainsaw and have narrowed down my selection to a Stihl MS260 Professional. Before I go out and buy it, I'd like to know if this is the right sized saw for my needs. I'll be using it mostly to cut and remove around 3 to 4 eight foot cords of mixed hardwood (average diameter is 1 foot) per year for firewood. I'll also use it for odd jobs around the farm. A few people on this forum recommend the Stihl MS361 as the best all-round chainsaw, but it may be really too big for my needs. I'd appreciate hearing from a few people on this issue. Thanks.

madhatte

It's a general rule of thumb that it's better to have slightly more saw than you need than it is to have slightly less.  That said, the MS361 is a great machine, and if you are going to buy just one saw, you could do a whole lot worse.  I know I sure like mine. 

Ed

IMO, the 260 should do what you want. It's a good choice!

Ed

sbhooper

I would say that the 260 will do the job, but if you can afford it, buy the 361 and you can handle anything that you will encounter. 
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

ErikC

for 12" and under the 260 will do well. You may have to stoop over a little more, but that's a good cutting saw that will put in a lot of years. Dad had an old 026 that was a trim saw at the mill, and then when it got too thrashed for that he took it home and used it around the ranch for a few years. Then he got a new 260 but still used the 026 until it was so worn it had no compression to start. That thing was so abused it isn't funny, but ran until it was totally worn out and put in hundreds and hundreds of hours all told. The 260 should do just as well.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

beenthere

I won't try to talk you out of buying what you think you want.  :)

I sure wouldn't be happy with anything less than the MS361.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Welcome to the forum. 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

peterc38

I think for what you describe, the MS 260 is a great choice. I got the 361, but I am now cutting about 10 cords/yr with some logs 24" diameter. Either way they are both good saws.
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

ferp2

Thanks for all your feedback. Last year I rented a Husky 254, which I think is similar in size to the MS260, and it did a fine job cutting up my firewood.So the 260 seems like the perfect fit. but who knows what I may encounter in the years to come. It would be great if I could take out both saws for the day and then make up my mind.

Here are my pros and cons for getting the 361.

Pros: Can handle any job
Cons: More expensive. It's a heavier machine and I weigh 160 lbs.

TessiersFarm

I've got both of them, plus one bigger and one smaller.  I use the 260 the most for all around farm chores like brush, fence posts ect.  The heavier 361 is a lot more comfortable for working on the wood pile.  If I could only have one of them I would cry like a baby and beg like a dog.

I once replaced an eager beaver with a stihl 026 and was amazed at how much nicer it was to use, I was equally amazed that my first 036 was actually easier to use than the 026 for most jobs because of more power and faster cutting.  I am about 5'7" and 175 lbs and weight of saw has never really been an issue to me.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

tyb525

Im 17 and and carry around an 036, although after awhile it's not too light. ;) I have an 026 (replaced by the 260) also. I like the 036 with 20" bar, and 026 with an 18". The 026 is obviously better for smaller stuff and is lighter. I use the 036 for felling and bigger firewood.

You'll be happy with any saw that you keep maintained. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on April 06, 2009, 01:07:53 PM
I won't try to talk you out of buying what you think you want.  :)

I sure wouldn't be happy with anything less than the MS361.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Welcome to the forum. 8)

I agree about getting the 361 when the wood average 1 foot diameter!       :)
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: ferp2 on April 06, 2009, 08:51:57 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. Last year I rented a Husky 254, which I think is similar in size to the MS260, and it did a fine job cutting up my firewood.So the 260 seems like the perfect fit. but who knows what I may encounter in the years to come. It would be great if I could take out both saws for the day and then make up my mind.

Here are my pros and cons for getting the 361.

Pros: Can handle any job
Cons: More expensive. It's a heavier machine and I weigh 160 lbs.

The 254 fits between the 260 and the 361, and has quite a bit more power than the 260.  It is closer to the 361 for weight, as well.
Information collector.

Mike_Barcaskey

my general rule of thumb is use the smallest saw that will adequately do the job
it will save your back and other parts
as someone who makes thier living off of their saws, I'd say the 260 will suit you fine
I run a 16 inch bar on my 026 and routinely cut up to that length (keep your chain sharp)

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

peterc38

Quote from: Mike_Barcaskey on April 07, 2009, 08:18:26 AM
my general rule of thumb is use the smallest saw that will adequately do the job
it will save your back and other parts
as someone who makes thier living off of their saws, I'd say the 260 will suit you fine
I run a 16 inch bar on my 026 and routinely cut up to that length (keep your chain sharp)

I agree, plus you can get the MS260 and with the extra money that would have gone towards the 361, buy yourself some chaps and head/eye protection.
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

glgdiggs

I purchsed a MS260 4years ago and looked carefully at purchasing a MS361 for my second saw, then bought a second MS260. I have not found anything the 260 could not do. Both saws pull 20 inch bars with no problems.

ladylake

I find myself using my 50cc lightwieght saws the most by far. That extra pound or 2 or 5 can sure wear you out a lot faster.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawmilllawyer

I got bigger and smaller saws than the MS-260 but that said, I kinda have been looking at the MS-260 for the smaller stuff. Seems to be a good saw with a solid reputation. Plus as I get a little older a lighter saw has more appeal, especially if you intend to cut all day long at a time with it.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!