iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya-Hooo Da Bug is Dead

Started by chet, August 16, 2003, 02:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Ya-Hooo Da Bug is Dead  8)     8)     8)
Got back from da picnic only to find my putter had come down with a bad case of da bugs.  :o  After gett'n back from Mayo yesterday, I got out my giant can of Raid and hosed her down. After 4 days with no forestry forum,  :'(  I now know what it must be like to quit smoking.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

Considering you couldn't defend yourself , you're darn lucky nobody here knew that or you would have gotten a severe dose of verbal abuse, they're like that you know?
Of course I try and distance myself from them at times like that.  ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

Chet me thinks alot of puters got that bug. :'( :'(

What did you do to fix it???

I sure wish these lazy bums would get jobs instead of sitting around thinking of ways to screw up peoples puters.

Steve

dail_h

Our's had it too,little flag kept comming up saying-----system shutting down,and durned if it wouldn't .Good thing I can't get my hands on the creator of that
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bro. Noble

Ours is doing that too and Norton keeps kicking it's butt.  It Was still doing it earlier today.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Symantec's (Norton) and Windows both have updates that will combat that Blast Worm.  If you haven't updated your windows system to the most current version, then you should.

Click on Tools and then Windows Update.  Do what it says.  It may take several times to get through the updates that have to be done alone.  It is worth it.

Paul_H

We caught that worm too.It kept shutting down the computer before I could download the patch from microsoft.I never had the firewall turned on,because I didn't know what it was on a computer. :-/

Once I had the patch and the firewall thing,I downloaded a worm killer.I also,would love to scrape the tonsils out of the Horse's butt that came up with this and other nuisances.

Pencil necked geeks with to much time on their hands,that's what they are.

Thankyou,I feel better

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

CHARLIE

My computer never got infected by the W32.Blaster.Worm but it was being attacked and that made my computer keep blowing down. My Norton Anti-Virus said it found a virus on my computer and deleted the file and then I'd get a message saying I had a severe error and my session was being terminated. Then I would get another message counting down seconds. When it hit zero, I got signed off and rebooted. My connection was so slow that I couldn't stay up long enough to read about the fixes much less download anything.  Tom sent me via e-mail the data on what to do that was on the Symantec.  I was able to print it before going down. I called a friend locally and he read data from Symantec that told me how to temporarily change some settings on my computer and keep my computer from shutting down. That helped but I couldn't download Window's Patch from the Window's Update site because it was also being attacked. I went out to Symantec and they had the Window's Patch on their site and I downloaded it from there.  I finally got my computer straightened out after fighting it for over 9 hours. Then on Wednesday I installed Norton's Firewall and was on the computer another 9 hours doing that and getting more Window's updates.

I think the Blaster.worm came out of China along with one called the Lovesan.worm.  I wish Windows could program in something where we could block messages coming from other countries.We would have the choice of the countries we wanted to block.

I'd sure like to get hold of someone that said they were a hacker. >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Must be a lot of infected/effected members. Yesterday was one of the slowest we have had all year. I still run windows 98 on our machines which apparently is not vulnerable

OneWithWood

I run Windows XP and Norton Antivirus on my machine.  Both programs have an automatic update feature.  I have not had a computer virus since I upgraded.  Knock on wood.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chet

I run Windows XP and Norton Antivirus on my machine too. I just didn't have the automatic update feature turned on,  :-/  so I didn't get the patch that blaster exploited.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

I have XP and run Norton AntiVirus on my machine and have Windows Update show me what is available. The minute I heard about it on the radio, I downloaded and installed all of Windows Critical updates but apparantly did it before they had the one I needed out there. So I thought I was protected and wasn't. :'(  Now I have Norton Firewall installed too. It's sortofa PITA but better than fighting a Worm. But now my computer takes forever to startup.  I've defraged and cleaned my machine out of cookies and temp files but that doesn't seem to help. :( :(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I tried Noton years ago and it was a big resource drain for my puter. Mcafee has been much better.

Den Socling

I'm running XP Pro with Sygate's firewall. This version of Windows is close to what Windows is supposed to be. I like it! and Sygate does a great job. Just make updates automatic and you have little to worry about. Oh yeah, I don't use Outlook either, so I have had no attacks get into my system for some long time.

Jeff

Yup, not using outlook is a good idea. I oughta follow that line of thinking since I installed a web based interphase I use when out of town thats just as good or better.

woodmills1

I run windows 98 also so can't comment on this new worm/virus, but I did get the previous kleg worm I think it was.  I found two free programs and between them they fixed me right up.

AVG antivirus   http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

and spybot  http://spybot.eon.net.au/
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

whitepe

Yup, I got it too.  It only affects Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines and I'm running Windows XP at home.
It does not affect Windows NT and Windows 95/98.

As I was driving home from Michigan on Aug. 14th,
I was checking my voice mail at the office and I knew
something was up.   Then sure enough, I got it
at 8:00 PM on the 14th but I wasn't certain about it
until I got to the office on the 15th.   On my way home
on the 15th, I gave Jeff a call on the cell phone and
told him I suspected I had it.  Sure enough, I did.
but due to the reboot I couldn't stay connected long
enough to fix it.  So this morning at the office ,aug 18,
I burned a CD with the virus removal tool,  the updated
virus definitions, and the patch to fix the vulnerability
in the Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating system.

All of this reminds me of a situation that happened
to me several years ago here at CAT.  In late 1994,
my boss let me attend a 3 day event at Microsoft's Corporate
Headquarters in Redmond, WA.  Microsoft invited
100 attendees from non-computer industry related
corporations to give them a sneak preview of
everything they had on the drawing boards that was
due to come out in the mid to late 90's.    Microsoft
had us all in a plush auditorium and provided networked
laptop computers at every seat for all of us to use.
Being the engineer that I was,  I was tinkering with
their anti-virus software and noticed the laptop I was
using had a virus.  So at the first break at 9:30 AM
monday morning I told someone what I had found.
During the break,  they had folks check and all 100 PC's
had that virus.  It was kind of embarrassing for a
microsoft VP to get up after the break and admit that.
My thought at the time was,  if the big boys can't control
viruses any better than that, then it's going to be a huge
ongoing problem for everyone in the business.  I guess
indeed that's the case.

I also wondered if anyone else has noticed a trend,
once the IRAQ war started in March,  Beginning then I started receiving huge amounts of spam email here at CAT.  A great deal of that spam email is coming from arabiamail.com or
qatarmail.com.    My hunch is that much of  this spam
is a political statement against U.S. foreign policy.
It will be interesting to find out where C.E.R.T. determines
the blaster virus came from.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

whitepe

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

L. Wakefield

Thank God for McAfee- I seem to have a 'touch' of the present worm- but I'd also had mime and Bugbear REALLY BAD- McAfee nailed the bahstids for me. I haven't gone on the patch yet, but I prob'ly will.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bill_B

If anyone is interested hrer is another free antiviris software
http://www.free-av.com/
I have been using it for 2 years and no problems. It does help that I am using Mozilla for E-Mail.
If there is anyone who is interest in the tech side of computing I would recomend you get the Langa newsletter.    http://www.langa.com
I also use Spybot at least once a week.
Bill B

Den Socling

After crowing about Windows XP Pro, Sygate and (I forgot to mention) McAfee, I was hammered with restarts this morning. Turned out to be a new USB CD drive that I plugged in yesterday. I didn't install drivers and XP didn't like it being there after it found it.

Jeff

I am getting a bunch of infected emails today. Probably 15 to 20 so far. Anyone else notice an increase of crap today? Could be just the lists I am on, many seem to be coming from edu's or at least the from is faked to look like .edu

Tom

No viruses but I'm still getting a lot of Spam. wish I had a 12 gauge in my inbox. :-/

Larry

It's amazing to me.  I'm running Win/95 on this box with zero problems in the last 3 years.  Love it especially since the virus stuff seems to be ignoring the antique machines.  MS has discontinued support for 95 and won't be long till 98 support is gone.

Also have a machine with XP for special applications and it always seems to have a little quirk.  Printer died about 6 months so I bought a new one but it took a long time to find one that would run on both 95 and XP.  If I replace my 95 machine I don't think the antique digital camera will work on XP so will have to buy another one of those to I guess.

Got ya coming and going I think.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

I have 2 e-mail accounts that won't download. I have tried 9 times. 1 has 42 messages and the other has 21.
  What's the deal with another brand of e-mail accounts??? I have 1 from mindspring and 1 from our .com. Is there a way to switch to another e-mail server besides Outlook Express and not cause me more grief from switching???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Scott_R

No problems on my Mac at all! Heh heh. Scott

Jason_WI

Same here. My G4 and ibook are just fine. Although my work PC was infected and had to install the updates and run the new v scan.

If MS would do a better job of programming and testing of there software before releasing it there would be alot fewer holes for hackers to manipulate.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Rick Schmalzried

Now Jason,
You need to keep in mind the MS is just giving the market what it wants.  They used to have DOS and all sorts of people wanted to have a GUI, so they came out with Windows 3.0.   8)  It was somewhat of an improvement but still had limitations.  :( People have kept demanding features to be added to the OS such as built in networking 8), USB 8), XP has a built in photo viewer 8) and digital movie creator  8)built in.  These used to all be add-ins.

The same thing has been going on with these so-called security holes.  The hackers have wanted items they could play with to take control of other computers and MS, as any customer focused company should, has done their best to to satisfy ALL of these requests. :o  Shoot if MS still had a secure OS, the hackers would be complaining about it.  :D :D :D :D

Just another point of view  ::)

--Rick

Uh-oh, I have just planted my tongue in my cheek so far it is almost coming out the side of my face.  ;D

_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Thank You Sponsors!