iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber list for Customer

Started by Tim/South, April 05, 2009, 06:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim/South

How do others make a bill of goods for a customer?
Is there software where a person can list what materials are received and price per board foot?

If you saw logs for someone do you list how many of what length their logs produced on a spread sheet so they can see what they have and are paying for?

Thanks for any tips.

beav39

are you talking your logs or thiers?i make a bill for lumber sold 2 by 6 2 by 4 ect at what each costs and the total
sawdust in the blood

Fla._Deadheader

I don't go to extremes, but, I am always ready to answer questions, within reason.

Sometimes, you can over educate someone, then they think you are not being truthful.

I haven't, but, thought about it, to take photos of a customers log that doesn't produce what THEY think it should  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

brdmkr

Check out the FF tool box.  There is a program in there that lets you specify species, size, number, and price /1000 bdft.  It even calculates the bdft and total cost for you. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tim/South

Thanks for the replies. I always enjoy learning what others are willing to share.

Bibby, I believe pictures of the log pile and one of the finished product is in order. Good idea.

Quote from: beav39 on April 05, 2009, 07:37:56 PM
are you talking your logs or thiers?i make a bill for lumber sold 2 by 6 2 by 4 ect at what each costs and the total
These are a customers logs. This is the first time I have taken on outside logs. I have been practicing on my own, getting my feet wet before stepping in over my head.
Quote from: brdmkr on April 05, 2009, 11:28:48 PM
Check out the FF tool box.  There is a program in there that lets you specify species, size, number, and price /1000 bdft.  It even calculates the bdft and total cost for you. 
Thanks.
I went over there before replying.
I was able to get a total BF.
I was hoping it would list the size and number of boards and so I could print out a hard copy. That feature may be there. I am going to play with it some more.

Thanks Again.

ErikC

I list a board count and total of board feet, but not a log count or scale. I have printed invoices where you can just list everything, plus a space for hourly labor rate, equipment time, and damages if any of those apply, and  I haven't had anyone complain about the way the bill was itemized at this point.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Tim/South

I was able to have the one in the FF Tool Box to print out how many of what.
I like to keep things simple, yet professional looking.
The print out sure beat my hand writing.  :)

ErikC,
Do you use a special program designed for sawmills / Lumber?

ErikC

No, but I would if I had one. I print the invoices at home and fill them in by hand. I printed a list of all the common board sizes and lengths, and how may board feet they are, and laminated it. I keep a running tally of boards as I cut, then get out the calculator at the end of the day and use my list. It is a real pain if you don't keep the running tally.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

DanG

I've used the Forum Toolbox calculator a number of times, especially whenever the customer is another business.  It prints out a very professional looking invoice, and never fails to impress the customer. :)  They usually don't expect something like that when they see the rest of my ragtag operation. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tim/South

QuoteThey usually don't expect something like that when they see the rest of my ragtag operation.
Same here. When they leave I want them to know they have dealt with a High Tech Red Neck. ;D

Dan_Shade

i used to be fancy and everything, then I wore the paint off of my logrite canthooks :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

I saw the customers logs.  I operate mobile.

I list the total number of each size board and the total board feet in each pile.
The customers seem to like it this way, some, because they may want to sell some of their lumber and with the sawing cost itemized, they only have to plug in what their logs were worth to them.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

I made up an excel spread sheet that has customer name, date, and columns for count, size, length, board feet, price per bd ft and total price. Just fill in a row for each size board, it totals eveything across the bottom. I print this off, put it in a zip-lock bag and attach to the lumber stack. Customers sometimes come by and pick up their lumber while I'm not around. I save a copy of the spreadsheet on the computer, so I have a complete record at the end of the year.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

maple flats

If I am selling lumber, I itemize each size and length. If i am sawing their logs I used to keep tabs but then i started just scaling the logs and giving a price quote up front. I prefer this method and have never had a complaint. They like knowing the total ahead. If some logs loose BF because of unseen defects the price is unchanged. Most times i gain on scale but not always. If a  whole log is rejected I adjust the price down, but account for my time into it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!