iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another sawmilling newbie

Started by davidlarson, April 04, 2009, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlarson

I came in to a very small unexpected inheritance, which was just enough to allow the purchase of a used LT 40 hydraulic Wood-Mizer sawmill.  The last two weekends were spent getting it into shape and making it operational (new blade, recharge battery, replacing fuel and fluids, oil topping up, greasing Zerks, adjusting levelling posts, etc.).  Today two friends (I am a recovering Yankee and have lived in North Carolina for 35+ years, and they call themselves my pet rednecks) and I fired her up and converted some eastern white pine and red oak logs into about 400 board feet of very pretty boards.  We were able to do it without significant accident or injury to ourselves or to the machinery.  This production is modest in comparison to what I read about from experienced sawyers on this forum, but for our first attempt it seemed very exciting to us, and we plan to continue our efforts.  My two friends are carpenters and residential construction workers, and have several projects they can use wood for.  My idea is that I needed to buy the saw in order to make the lumber to build a shed for the sawmill.  Does this sound like circular reasoning?  Anyway, I think we're hooked.

David Larson   

tyb525

Welcome to the forum! 400 bd ft is a good amount, especially for the first time. Buying a sawmill to cut the lumber for the sawmill shed is perfectly reasonable. ;) :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

Welcome to the forums David!

Congratulations on your new mill.  8) I bought my WM LT40HDG24 used last May and I love it!  ;) You're going to love that mill.  :)
400 bf is a good size job for learning about operating the mill.  ;D

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Don K

Welcome. If the lumber is consistent and doesn't look like a herd of snakes, 400ft is nice for a first time sawyer. Now that you have the bug you will be a sick man for a long time. Anything that you can think of to saw lumber for is a reasonable and competent thought. I enjoy the fact that when I need a board, I can pull it out of a stack or fire up the mill and whip a few out.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

beav39

welcome ,good job on the 400 ft lot of work but very rewarding!i run a lt 40 as well and love the machine
sawdust in the blood

thecfarm

Good job! I take it this is your first sawmill? Been around a mil before? The bf amount will go up the more you saw.I only saw for myself so I don't even keep track of what I do. I don't want to take the fun out of it. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Welcome and good show Dave ,we all must walk before we run.A fella asked the old farmer what do you have the horses for,why to mow the hay.What do you need the hay for,why to feed the horses.Think quality not quantity.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Quote from: davidlarson on April 04, 2009, 05:36:16 PM
  My idea is that I needed to buy the saw in order to make the lumber to build a shed for the sawmill.  Does this sound like circular reasoning?  Anyway, I think we're hooked.

David Larson   

Perfectly sound and logical reasoning ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!