iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HUSKY SCARED CYLINDER

Started by miker, August 15, 2003, 10:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miker

???
I have a Husqvarna 261 that is only two years old. I've only run about 3 gal. of the mixed gas thru it. It quit on me the other day, like someone turned the switch off. I took the spark plug out, and checked for spark, and it was weak. I then removed the starter housing, and found that the wire coming from the kill switch to the coil was rubbing on the starter housing. And you could see where it had rubbed thru the insulation. I pushed the connection down & away from the housing and checked for spark again. Vary weak!
I called the dealer I bought it from, and they told me Huskys carry a life time warranty on the ignition. So, I took it in to them. They called me today, and told me I need a new engine, because the cylinder & piston is scared. Is this because of the 50:1 mix, when it should be 32:1 ????? I'm really mad about this!  Mike

Kevin

Maybe the carb was adjusted too lean.

miker

Thanks for the reply. If the saw was set to lean, than the dealer did it. I haven't touched the carb adjustments! I've been looking around on the net, trying to find a new Cyl. & Piston Assm. for it.
I found Mike's small engine repair in Or, is the cheapest place to buy Husky parts. Anyone out there done any business with this guy? They didn't list my Mod# 261, but most of the one's they did list are in the $108.00 bracket. They have an 800 number, so I'll give them a call on Monday when I get done with the dealer. I'm gonna see if the dealer will go ahead and replace the coil anyway. That will save me some money on that. I'm sure I can replace the Cyl. & Piston Assm. And I'll be mixing the oil & gas at 40:1 after this.  Thanks!  Mike

Kevin

Mike;
There are a few other things that can cause your problem such as plugged fins on the cylinder, insufficient air circulation, plugged exhaust port or an air leak in the crank case.
Usually the dealer will tell you to run a few tanks of fuel through the saw and then bring it back to have the carb set after the break-in.
Another cause for scoring would be dirt entering the carb.
I have a 262 and its been a real trooper.
I have used it for milling and felling many trees over the last several years and it's still going strong.
Some guys are modifying the mufflers which make the saws run a little cooler.

miker

Thanks!
The fins & the total saw is good & clean, so I don't think any dirt had anything to do with it. When I was running it the other day, the outside temp was close to 90 degrees. So, I think it just over heated. Sure sounded like the gas in the tank was boiling when it quit. What's this about modifing the muffler to make it run cooler?
Can you tell me about this? I sure don't want this to happen again.
Do you think the crank & rod will still be good? Probably won't know that till I get it tore down, Huh? I better tare it down before I go to ordering any parts. Thanks!  Mike

Kevin

Mike, do a search on muffler in the chainsaw forum and you should pull up some info.
You can order a separate muffler and keep yours stock, modify your stock muffler or send it away for the modification.

jokers

Mike, even when you believe that you have done everything right, the fault may still lie with you. 3 gallons of gas in 2 years is not much use. Is there any chance that you put the saw away "wet" and had sum gumming of the carb occur? Partial blockage of the hi speed jet will allow the saw to run in many cases but it will be running lean, just as if the screw were turned in more.

I got a flyer in the mail from Cutters Choice a few days ago. They have top end kits for the 262 for 119.95. I believe that it`s a direct bolt on that will give you more performance. Maybe your dealer can tell you if this is true.

Russ

Kevin

Russ;
Do you have a telephone number for CCD?
Their 800 number doesn't work outside the U.S.
They are scheduled to be in Escanaba on the 5th and I would like to order some stuff from them.

miker

Thanks guys!
    I'm glad I found this forum. I'm learning a lot about chain saws that I would have never known. I took your advice and looked into the muffler mod's. Sounds like all you do is take out the guts, or cut more holes in it. Then re-tune the carb. I'm really not looking for more power cause the saw cut great as far as I'm conserned.
I just want to make sure this problem of scaring the Cyl. don't happen again. So, do you think I should run a 40:1 mix, or stay with the 50:1 mix, and tune the carb for a more rich mixture?
I had a 610 Mack chainsaw, and I run 40:1 in that for 25 years, and never had a lick of problems with it. Oh, and I tried to see if  that Cutters Choice had my upper parts for my 261, but didn't see them on the site. Unless I just didn't click on the right Icon.
Thanks again.  Mike  ( miker@locl.net )

smwwoody

Mike I have a 372 a 288 and a 385 that have at least a gallon of gas mixed at 50:1 run through each saw every day for over a year and they look like new inside.  that is with huskys mix oil.

I also have a 372 tha is 8 months old and gets just as much gas through it but it is at 100:1 with amsoil mix oil

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Kevin

I've been running 50:1 using premium unleaded and Husky oil in all my saws and have not had any problems.

Tom

My biggest problem lately has been old gas, not oil.  I've had to dump gas that was 3 weeks old because it wouldn't burn. I had a problem the other day and dumped gas that was about a week old.  Fresh gas solves the problem of not running so it has to be the gas.

I don't know if it is the technology of the saws today (close tolerances) or if there is a difference in gas.  When I was younger, we kept gas around the place for three or four months that still worked fine.  Not anymore! :P :D

woodmills1

I buy my saws from one place, Whites Equipment in Nashua, NH.  They told me that cylinder and piston scarring is caused by lean mixtures and also by forcing the saw to work hard against a dull chain.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

miker

Hi Guys!
     I tore my 261 Husky down today, and the piston & Cyl. is scared. The Rod on the crank looks good. So, all I need is a Cyl. Kit. I called that Mike's Small Engine Repair in Or. But he don't stock the kit for the 261. He was sorry he couldn't help me. Someone said Cutters Choice has kits, but I didn't see any on their site. Can anyone help me out here? I'll keep looking on the net. Thanks!  Mike

Kevin

Mike,
Here's what Jokers wrote ...
QuoteI got a flyer in the mail from Cutters Choice a few days ago.

Sounds like a special, call their 800 number and ask them about it.
If you don't mind, ask them for their regular telephone number for me at the same time.
Thanks.
Kevin.

Norm

Kevin, CCD's regular # is (315) 468-4248.

Kevin

jokers

Hi Kevin, glad to see that Norm supplied you with the regular # for CCD. I just wanted to point out that CCD and Cutters Choice are two different outfits in case there is any confusion.

Russ

Kevin

Thanks for that, I was thinking CCD ...Commercial Cutters Direct.
They have a whack of chainsaw stuff as well.

miker

Hello again guys!
I stopped by my Loco Husky dealer today, and talked to them about my 261. They told me I shouldn't be using regular gas, that I should use premium gas. Plus, I shouldn't be using a 2-1/2 gal gas can. Cause I don't use enough gas, and the gas will loose it's punch by setting around for a month, or so. Plus, they said, they'd be glad to adjust the carb on my saw anytime for free. They was so nice to me, that I just went a head and ordered my parts from them. I know it was a little more, but I can look at the parts before I even take them home, to see if there is anything wrong with them. Sometimes it's best to deal with someone loco. They offered me a good price on a new 261, but I figured fixing my old would be the cheapest way out.
I'll let you know how the fix goes. Oh yeah, and I worked the muffler over today too. I opened up the front exit a little more. About twice what it was. Thanks guys!  Mike

Kevin

Mike for that first tank with the new jug you might want to add a little extra oil in the mix.

miker

Hello again!
    Picked up my parts Friday, and I put the Husky 261 back togather this morning. Took my time and everything went well. I dumped out the old gas, blew out the gas line and I mixed up new gas. Runs like a new chainsaw again! Smoked a little when I first started it, because of the oil I put on the new parts when I assembled it. I want to thank you fellows for all the help. It's been nice.  Mike

Thank You Sponsors!