iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna 338XPT vs. Stihl MS200t

Started by oakwood productions, April 03, 2009, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakwood productions

Which saw do the serious tree toppers prefer to use. Which saw fires up easier from a cold start?

Kevin

The most popular would be the 200.
I'm still using a 335 without any problems.
The Canadian heli loggers are topping big sticks with the 200's and beating them up pretty good on a regular basis.

Al_Smith

I've got three 335's myself and one killer 200T that I kind of enhanced so to speak . ;) Even in stock form the 200 would run circles around the little Huskys .

The 335 has one goofy oiler on them ,about 50 percent of them fail for no apparent reason . Which by the way is why I have the three freebies in the shed . :D

I've been told by reliable sources that the 338 has a much better oiler .

On the 335's they aimed that muffler so it blows exhaust gas right straight at you .Why I have no idea .If you run it without the muffler guard it wil burn you like branding iron  so that doesn't work . Besides that the carb is in the front of the saw so the air filter needs constant cleaning . Other than those few things it cuts ok just not as good as the little Stihl .

Kevin

The air filter on my 335 is a pain, constantly getting plugged.
I have a walker muffler on it which makes it better than stock.
The oiler is fine but I did have trouble with the fuel vent once.
My next top handle will most likely be the 200.
If I'm not mistaken the 200 had carb boot problems not that long ago.

Al_Smith

It wasn't the boot but rather the carb itself .They would develop cracks in the metering chamber which would cause a lean run after they warmed up .

I think perhaps that issue might have been resolved because I haven't heard any bad reports of late .

Now the 335 oilers remain a mystery .All that little thing is is shaft with a slot in it .  Nothing should go wrong with it . Tear one down,which is job in itself and fiddle with it to no avail ,no matter what you do to it,doesn't work .Replace the shaft which is only 8 bucks and it pumps . ???

I think this is the reason so many of them find their way to sit on a shelf forever .8 dollar part and most likely a hundred in labor if a shop did it .

SawTroll

The 335 has been history for a while by now, and the original 338xpt as well - the problems they had should all be gone in the current New Edition 338xpt/Jonsered 2139.     :)
Information collector.

Ironwood

I am a Husky guy generally, and have 2   335's and had a 338. If I were buying new I would go Stihl for that saw (top saw)

Ironwood.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!