iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hosrepower vs. Log size

Started by MTU Husky, April 08, 2009, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTU Husky

I'm looking to buy my first sawmill with a limited budget. I'm debating between mills with a log cutting capacity between 30" and 36". Is it better to sacrifice log size and upgrade for a larger horse power motor or sacrifice horsepower for a larger log size?

Chico

I personally would go for more hp there are a lot of ways to work a log but if you don't have the Hp to saw it you'll be behind before you start and remember with the larger motor you have a better base for addons such as hyds  generator etc jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

okie

More  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider. The more ponies you have the better off you are. Chances are, once you get into it, your average logs wo'nt be huge.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Fairchance

I wonder how much difference you will see say between a 21hp and a 25hp on say a 32" or 36" head? Would it be measurable?

Banjo picker

Over the last few years there has been a steady rise in hp. on many mills.  Okie I like those graphics. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tom

You won't see too much difference in the speed of sawing, but there will be a little.  The benifits of a few more horses come into play when the travel head is driven by hydraulics that are powered by that engine or Alternators that are having to keep batteries filled to operate the motors that move the head or drive hydraulics, powered by electric motors.  

Most mills today will saw a 20" diameter log without any special manipulation.  That's a big log.  Commercial mills generally turn away logs that are 22" or greater.

There are ways of making a big log smaller, but no way to cut faster when you run out of horses.  There are threads on the forum that discuss the value of horsepower.  Perhaps I can find one of them.

Here is some fodder to chew on.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,34170.msg492758.html#msg492758

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,5613.msg77040.html#msg77040

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,26101.msg373381.html#msg373381

Gilman

MTU
What Hp range are you looking at? 

If your looking between 42 and 51hp vs 30 and 36" the answer is easy, I'd go for the 36". ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

ladylake

I'd try and get at least a 35 hp gas or 30 hp diesel and the most  width you can afford and don't forget hydraulics which are the biggest time saver. When I switched from a 27 hp Kohler to a 28 hp Isizu diesel it sawed way faster in bigger logs, mostly sawing white oak.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Everyone is so excited about your HP question,no one has welcomed you to the forum.Welcome to the forum,MTU Husky.I see this is your first sawmill.What kind are you looking at? Been around sawmills before?What are you building or going to custom saw?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bedway

Good observation cfarm, welcome to our hideout husky. ;D

D._Frederick

On a bigger log, the beam strength of the band will be more limiting the saw cutting speed than engine power.

kelLOGg

Welcome to FF. I'm not far from you. If you want to come to Durham I'd be glad to show you my setup. My max cut is 32" with 16HP so it's slow with that size log.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

MTU Husky

bedway, thecfarm, and keILoGg thanks for the welcome! keIloGg you've already been talking to my buddy fairchance about checking out your MP32 after Easter.

I'm looking for a portable sawmill with trailer package, I've checked out Timberking, Hud-son, Cook, Woodmizer, Baker, and Logosol. I need something in the $8,500-$9,500 price range. Due to trailer length for hauling cut boards, I will be limited to 12' long boards. Can not keep cut boards on property due to locals will take. I'm currently considering a cook MP32 with a 25 hp motor. Hud-son dealer in Asheville offered a deal on a 236 with trailer package and a 16hp motor.

kelLOGg

Maybe both you and Fairchance can come together - you would both be welcome.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!