iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oldtime log loading

Started by iffy, April 01, 2009, 03:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

I got a load of logs out of a cemetery. They were getting rid of diseased or damaged trees and were cutting them into 8' lengths and hauling them to the landfill. I talked them into leaving them longer and loading them on my trailer for me. They had a little case skidsteer that worked fine on stuff under 16" or so and 10 or 12 ft long. I stopped by one evening after they were gone and they had my trailer loaded except for one log about 20' long. Looking at the marks on the ground, it looked like they had wrestled it around but couldn't lift it.
I remembered reading an old book about how the old timers put big logs on top of walls with just horse power, ropes, and poles, so I decided to try it. Pulled the trailer up about 6' or so from the log and parallel to it. Put the jack down and unhooked. Had a couple of treated fence posts in the truck, so put one towards each end of the trailer with the bottom end under the log as far as I could push it and the top end leaning on the trailer edge. My trailer is just 34" so that helped. Took a long web strap and hooked one end on the trailer bed on the edge furthest from the log. Went under the log with the other end, over the top of the log and under and over again so I had one full wrap on the log. Strap was pretty much centered between the posts. Hooked a chain to the free end of the log and threw it over the top of the trailer. Drove the pickup in perpendicular to the trailer to the side opposite the log and hooked the chain into my tow hook. Put it in low 4 and eased it back. Log rolled right up the posts and onto the trailer.
I ran into the cemetery caretaker that night at a Christmas party and he told me he had almost a load ready for me. I told him "yeh, I pulled it home this evening". He was apologizing for not getting the big log loaded and I told him that was ok, I got it too. He asked me if I brought my tractor to town and I told him no. He just looked at me for awhile and finally said "ok, I'll bite. How'd you do it?" I explained it to him and I could tell by the blank look on his face he didn't get it. Got a call from him the next day and he said he had another log down and could I come and show them how I did it. They all stood there scratching their heads until I started backing the truck up and then the light bulbs came on.
Old timers knew what they were doing.
I was telling another old sawmiller about it the other day and he said he had never heard of it either. Said he had passed up onesy and twoesy logs because he didn't want to haul the skid loader out. He's itching to try it now.

uncle kenn

it is called parbuckling ;D :P

medic

On the property next to mine there used to be a rather large log cabin.  The owners of the land gave the cabin to a nearby youth camp with the stipulation that it had to be moved.  The fellow tasked with disassembling and moving the house had watched a tv show on how to do it.  They disassemble the roof structure,   mapped out and marked all the logs correctly for reassembly did everything they were supposed to do prior to actually taking the logs off.  This house was long and narrow.  The side walls were only about 16' but the front and back walls were probably close to 30'.  They put ropes on the end logs and rolled them off with a couple of guys hanging on to the ropes and lowered them to the ground, everything went great.  They started to do the same thing with the monster log than ran the entire length of the back of the house.  One 4000 pound log being supported by two guys weighing about 130 pounds apiece = one log headed rapidly towards the ground and the two guys holding onto the rope sailing into the air and slamming into the top of the wall.  Fortunately their only injuries were some mashed and abraded fingers and hurt pride.  :)
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Jeff

That's how I load all my logs in a trailer, or on the wood-mizer, other then I use a winch or the ATV
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oldsaw

You really don't even have to hook it to the trailer, you can just wrap it around the log about 3 times and let the rope "unwrap" as the log rolls up the ramps.  We've moved some biggies doing that just using a small winch.  If you can't line the trailer up exactly right, you can roll the log onto another small log or wood block in the center and easily pivot the log any way you want.

Even log quarters will walk up a set of ramps.  We did a 42" white oak that way las summer.  Just need to make sure that the ramps won't fall off the trailer.

You learn these things when you have an "old-timer" around.  JR is kind of the "Prince of Parbuckling".

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

woodmills1

I am impressed

but   

you need to get a grapple
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don K

A time tested method for the guy that doesn't have the jack to throw out on a grapple.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

iffy

Now I can really impress that cemetery crew when I nonchalantly say "its called parbuckling". They seem to be challenged with multiple syllable words.

ely

iffy, it is sad that you live where the only trees are in cemetaries ;D

i do know what you mean though, if you have ever drove thru okmulgee ok. they have a cemetary there with some outstanding specimen of trees. i would just love to cut a few of them down and mill them into somethings.

iffy

'round here you take 'em where you can git 'em. ;D  I've had my eye on a bunch of oak that got killed a number of years ago when a flood control reservoir did its job and backed a lot of water up into oak creek. The water stayed long enough to kill the oaks and they have been dead standing quite a while now. Water is back down, don't know how firm the ground is.

Ironwood

I had been doing it and didnt know the name either.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

underdog

I must be getting old ::)
"parbuckling" That is good word to know.
Anyway we used to load all our logs that way when i was a kid.
Only difference was; rather that pull the log to the top, we rolled them with cant hooks.
Is that still parbuckling?
And i cannot remember what they called the poles we laid up beside the truck to use as ramps.
The only thing i remember them doing to make the job easier was try to find a bank bench to load off of.
Bug wood or cross ties; we just threw on the truck...

D._Frederick

Iffy,

I guess I don't understand why you need a full rap around the log, it seems to me that the chain under the log and over the top will do the same thing.

Slabs

Parbuckling is based on one of the basic machines - the inclined plane.  If you run the chain/cable under the log and back over to the pull device, you add the pulley machine part.  It halves the effort to bring the load up the ramps.

I've calculated efforts to get a log up on a trailer and have concluded that I can roll a 1000 pound log up a 1:4 ramp with 70 pounds of effort on the crank handle.  This is not including friction losses and the cantankerous butts of oaks and such.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Dan_Shade

i like to slightly modify the method, I use a chain hooked to both ends of the trailer, then hook the winch cable to the middle of the chain, this supports both ends of the log while it's rolling up the ramp.

here's a rudimentary picture:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

okie

Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

oldsaw

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 03, 2009, 09:37:48 PM
i like to slightly modify the method, I use a chain hooked to both ends of the trailer, then hook the winch cable to the middle of the chain, this supports both ends of the log while it's rolling up the ramp.

here's a rudimentary picture:

Yep, do that one a lot too, especially if the log has some big taper or isn't very round.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Slabs

Where did you get that winch?
[/quote]

Made the whole kit and kaboodle.  Frame is square tubing, some flat stock and rebar.  Spool is turned from oak.  Handle is EMT and pipe bored out to fit over the spool shaft (3/4"pipe).

I also rig it up like Dan and oldsaw.  3/16" winch cable and 1/8" yoke line.

okie

Quote from: Slabs on April 04, 2009, 08:32:15 PM
Where did you get that winch?

Made the whole kit and kaboodle.  Frame is square tubing, some flat stock and rebar.  Spool is turned from oak.  Handle is EMT and pipe bored out to fit over the spool shaft (3/4"pipe).

I also rig it up like Dan amd okie.  3/16" winch cable and 1/8" yoke line.
[/quote]
Wow thats impressive.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

iffy

I use a full wrap because it seems to control the log a little better if you don't hit the exact center. Might be my imagination.

Thank You Sponsors!