iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber wrench pics needed

Started by Brad_bb, April 01, 2009, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I just acquired a bunch of big hardwood timbers.  They are in the 500 lb neighborhood each.  One time on this board I saw a timber wrench to aid in turning the timbers.  I want to make one, but would like to see how others have designed them.  If you can post a pic I'd appreciate it.  I remember an old post that had one, but have searched to no avail.
Thanks, Brad_bb
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rooster

Hey,
I found this old thread:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7711.msg106455.html#msg106455

If you want to turn or roll the timbers, I have used a 4ft cinch strap and a old baseball bat.
Simply take the strap which has an "eye" or loop on each end, thread one end through the other end (eye).   Slip the strap loop over the end of the timber, adjust the strap so that the lose end over hangs the edge of the timber, insert the bat or wood handle and use it as "Strap-cant hook"

This technique also works good for twisting poles that have been set into a hole and backfilled improperly.

Rooster
saveabarn@yahoo.com
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Weekend_Sawyer

I like that strap Idea, My brother and I have built a number of pole barns. Once you get them up you usually have to turn them, We used a peavy but the strap would work fine. When we were in our 20's we would lift them into place by hand a 13' telephone pole, 3' to go in the ground 10' left out. If one person slipped for a half second the other really felt it. Now that he is over 50 and I am kicking it right square in the tail we use a backhoe or skid steer to lift them inplace. Doesn't knock as much dirt and rocks back in the hole that way either.

Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moonhill

Brad, it is also in a tread on the guild site, under the Whatcha Doing Now topic. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

Some have made them out of plywood (wow, what an evil word), and cut the the same shape in two different sheets one going end to end, one going side to side and then gluing the two together to make it stronger.
After glue has dried they shape the handle section to make them smooth to the touch.

I've seen them with 8" jaws. But I don't have a picture of one of these.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

Craig Roost,
Now that's a good idea - simple, lightweight, and practical.  If I can find a strong nylon strap that's that short...and I'll probably fashion a handle out of some hickory I have(don't have a bat).  Thanks!

Rooster

I have also taken old worn out "racket straps"... taken it to my local shoe repair shop or harness maker and have them stitch it....making a loop....stitch 4" from both ends and strait across every 4" down the length...likr a "daisy chain"..this way you can pick a specific point on the strap to cinch at..

Good luck!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Craig has asked me to post his suggested design:

I thought up this design for you...it is like an adjustable cant hook with a steel plate instead of a toothed hook.....the adjustment holes are 1" apart for small 6x6s up to 18" cants or such.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Raphael

I was trying to sell the LogRite folks on producing something along those lines.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Brad_bb

I just ordered a 4' eye strap, and I already have a hickory handle blank (square).  I've just got to round the handle portion.  I like the strap and handle idea because It will be light weight and easy to store. 

moonhill

It depends on how big big really is, for the most part I roll timbers by butting my chest against one side and hug it with my arms under the bottom and push with my chest, my arms are sort of pulling on the bottom side.  I have used timber too large to turn by hand even with a cant hook and two people.  We did as much work in one position and them turned with the fork lift and nylon straps, similar to your new method, brad.  On occasion it would be nice to have some leverage.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Rooster

Brad,

I have to tell you....the hype has been building up!! 
I feel I can speak for at least one or two other FF members, when I say that we are all waiting to see "The Money Shot"!!!

So if you could post some pis of you using your new "Big-Timber Strap"?

Thanks!

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Raphael

Quote from: Craig Roost on April 07, 2009, 08:47:50 AM

I feel I can speak for at least one or two other FF members, when I say that we are all waiting to see "The Money Shot"!!!

Indeed, a pictures worth a thousand words and all that...
If it works well I may want to kluge one together before wrestling white oak for the entry.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Brad_bb

The 4 ft strap I ordered should be here any day now.  I just finished my mom's easter present - a tool box for her garden stuff (pruners, potting shovel, planting knives etc).  It's actually not finished in the photo below.  I still have to make the wedges for to hold the handle in place, finish adding some additional brass brackets (letting them into the wood as well), and I'll be scalloping many of the edges and staining the scallops dark.  I want to use black walnut for the wedges, and I might put some walnut plugs on the handle uprights on the sides.  Then I'll finish it in linseed oil.  It's made entirely of white oak. 

Tomorrow I'll probably take my square hickory blank and cut it on the table saw into an octagon and see if it's then close enough to sand to a round shape.  I'll leave the portion that will contact the timber square, but round over the edges.

Jim_Rogers

Brad_bb

I recieved my 4 ft strap today so I went out to the shop and made the handle.  The handle is 1.5 inches square Hickory.  The lower 10 inches I left square except I rounded over all the edges with a 1/4 inch router bit. 

I then cut the corners of the handle at 45 degrees to make the handle an octagon.  I drew a line from the lower square portion to the 45 degree portion at about 30 degrees and set my cordless circ saw and cut that edge staying about 1/32 to 1/16th from my line. 

Then I used a chisel and mallet to par to the line.  This gives a nice transition from the square to the octagon.  I then used my orbital sander and coarse grit paper to soften all the edges, give them a rounding of sorts and sand out any saw marks. 

I really like how it came out and I think I like the semi octagonal handle instead of a round one.  I'm going to do the same on the two beetles I'm going to make from two more blanks.  Now the question is what to finish the handle with, oil or poly?

As you can see from the pics below, I wrapped a 10" beech timber(12 foot) and the 4ft strap allows the handle a little more angle than I prefer.  It does turn the timber fine though.  If the strap were 2 inches shorter, I might not be able to get the handle in the eyelet.  This got me to thinking, could it be better?  and could it be adaptable to timber ranging from 8 to 12 inches? 

So I started thinking about a Hybrid lever using my handle and the previously posted steel design proposed.  Basically keep the Hickory handle and add an adjustable angle iron hook.  The steel hook portion would not be drilled through the handle, but rest in a groove in the back side of the handle and be captured from falling out by a wood gusset/strap.  Instead of changing holes on the handle, the angle iron hook would change positions.  See last pic.  I have yet to work that part out yet, but I want to do it without having to unbolt anything.  It will either have a pin, or will change positions by a simple hook.

Stumpkin

I have pictures of the plywood type,

Tim with his timber wrench at Russell Colbath

Heavy duty Timber wrench that I made at Brian's
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Jim_Rogers

Yes, that's the type of wrenches I've seen before..... thanks for posting those pictures....

Brad_bb

Craig Roost had a very simple solution to the slack in my strap.  I missed the obvious.  Here is what he sent me:

I'm glad to see the photos on FF, of your timber-strap!
I see where you wouldn't like the "slop" in the handle angle.
I am attaching a drawing to maybe give you a couple of tips to help
inprove the usage of your timber-strap.

Thank You Sponsors!