iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Pear

Started by DR_Buck, March 30, 2009, 09:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I have a few hundred BF of 5/4 Pear to dry.  pear is not listed in the species list.  What sort of schedule should I use?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

tyb525

That's a unique wood to have a few hundred bd ft of. I'd go with the shcedule of another fruitwood. Someone here probably has had experience with this type of wood before  :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DR_Buck

Quote from: tyb525 on March 30, 2009, 10:03:06 PM
That's a unique wood to have a few hundred bd ft of. I'd go with the shcedule of another fruitwood. Someone here probably has had experience with this type of wood before  :)

I was thinking of using the schedule for Apple.

Dan_Shade

you have any pictures?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 30, 2009, 10:16:23 PM
you have any pictures?

Are pictures going to help dry it?   :D :D :D

ely

i would try it with the new xenon flash attachment. ;D

SwampDonkey

I was thinking apple to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DR_Buck

OK... here's some pictures before putting the last boards in the kiln.   

These are 9 1/2" wide 5/4 8ft long boards.   I have a bunch whack o' these.

This is a close-up of two of the boards.

I milled the top section through with a natural edge.   These are just over 8 ft.  Also 5/4.   I have 7 pieces like this.

This is a close-up of the crotch. 

I also tried taking the pictures with a xenon flash.   Didn't help lower the moisture content at all.
smiley_headscratch

tyb525

That last picture has real neat grain.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

okie

Wow, thats the first pear wood I have ever seen sawn, looks good. ;D
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

SwampDonkey

That'll look great when you get'r dried and put into service. ;D What ya making out of it?  ???

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beav39

nice looking wood !never seen pear
sawdust in the blood

DRB

According to my reference books pear was used in the handles of Nazi SA daggers.  I have a couple but they are stained brown and the grain is not visible.  That is the only place I have ever seen it mentioned as wood.  That is some nice wood there very rare to get that much pear at once. I would use the apple schedule for drying it.  If I owned it I would value it at a min of $20 a BF.

LeeB

From what i've read, most pear wood comes from European orchards and indeed is rare. It is used in intarsia and other inlays. I have several pieces of spalted pear that I have been hording for years. Just a few small pieces from a little tree I cut down fro my SIL after my brother died. I had cut it into fire wood size chunks and forgot about it. About 2 years later I cut a piece of just for kicks and it was some of the nicest spalting I've ever seen. I guess I keep it because of the attatchment to my brother.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Time to make something Lee.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!