iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

things are not as black as they first appear.

Started by weisyboy, April 03, 2011, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weisyboy

we are constantly getting barraged with complaints, criticism and vandalism from "greenies" and so called conservationists that would rather see the the trees get old, die, fall over and burn down 5 other trees.

well i found this old poster in the old mill shed it now takes pride of place in the smoko shed.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

thecfarm

How true it is. Some people seem to think that if you cut trees and leave the ground so called barren,nothing will grow.I went to a logging operations on a field trip and the logger said "The only way trees will not grow in the state of Maine if you pave over it.Logging is good." I brought one guy from work to show him how I cut. He was one that thought you had to plant trees for them to come back. This guy was very open minded and had no idea,but was not so bad that he was right even though he did not know.I showed him all the way from an area that I cut hard to one only a few trees had been taken. All the way from raspberries to pine growing so thick you have a hard time walking through it. I did tell him if you wanted a certain species either you planted or cut out the stuff that came back you did not want.
No way it could be done,but I would like all wood operations to stop for a month. That would bring the whole country to our knees. Shut up a few of those green people real quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Phorester

Whenever possible, I like to take people complaining about clearcutting into clearcut forests 10, 30, 50 years after clearcutting, and say to them; "you are standing in a clearcut forest".  Wading through a thick understory of briars, vines, and saplings and gazing up to trees 40 - 60 feet over their heads, they are usually shocked into silence, which I then fill with a quick talk on practicing good forest managment, and how clearcutting is the first step in creating a new forest.

chain

Quote from: Phorester on April 03, 2011, 08:53:04 AM

Whenever possible, I like to take people complaining about clearcutting into clearcut forests 10, 30, 50 years after clearcutting, and say to them; "you are standing in a clearcut forest".  Wading through a thick understory of briars, vines, and saplings and gazing up to trees 40 - 60 feet over their heads, they are usually shocked into silence, which I then fill with a quick talk on practicing good forest managment, and how clearcutting is the first step in creating a new forest.

Truer words have never been spoken. When I first began managing our forest, our local State forester did a quick cruise and told us, "the book calls for a clear-cut, as most timber here is even-aged and shows signs of decline."

That statement was hard to take, the forester knew how much I liked old growth, so we compromised and clear-cut several acres of southwest hillsides and ridges that were showing the most decline.

Today, some 25 years later, a mixed stand of oaks and SLP, pure and solid, are now beginning reproduction. The young stand a testament to good forestry!

SwampDonkey

I never saw a piece of woods around here that didn't grow back. Even a plowed field will revert to forest. Good thing, because most woodlot owners don't put money into silviculture unless approached by folks working under the provincial silviculture program as long as it doesn't cost them anything.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

My Dad always said that the landowner should not be allowed to see his property for ten years after it had been logged.  He always did select cut taking out only mature trees and allowing younger trees room to grow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weisyboy

when we do a cut you cant tel where we have been, afte a month or 2 onnce the grass grows over the tracks, we only take about 5% of the trees.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!