iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hrs on a Used Mill

Started by NHHillbilly, March 28, 2009, 07:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHHillbilly

I am new here been looking at the forum and using the search button alot.  My Dad and I are talking about finding a mill.  We are debating new manual or used Hydraulic.  I was wondering how many hrs is considered alot and what should we look at when we look at a mill.  Thanks for all the info you all have already provided.  I belong to a few other forums for My dodge and my klr and I know how valubale they are so I Looked you all up.
Alex
LT40hdg28

pineywoods

Mine has a little over 7000 hrs. WM LT40 manual. I thought that was high time. Talked to a guy yesterday who runs a LT40hyd electric with over 17000 hrs and still going strong. I bought a used manual and added my own hydraulics...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kelvin

I'd really suggest buying used, especially now as there are a lot of good deals on the market.  The mill i'm familiar with is woodmizers Lt40  I've had a new one and a well used one currently.  The one i have now has 6500 hrs on the meter but is electric.  I would price them accordingly, as most of the parts are replaceable.  A gas motor only lasts as long as its been maintained well.  So i would tend to factor that in as a possibility, either rebuild or replace for around $2k.  Everyone says them maintain them well and no one will tell you their buddy accidentally ran it without oil, etc...  Its human nature to hope for the best especially when being honest will cost you some cash.  Woodmizer seems to have the best resale as well, which goes against you when buying but will help you out if you ever go to sell it.  You can get more gizmos for the buck with some of the less well known brands, but i don't like the engineering on a lot of them i've looked at during farm shows.  Their parts department is top notch and youi don't have to worry about them going out of business.
So Low hours in my book are 1000 or so, medium would be 2k-3k (w/ good matinence) and 3k and up would be high.  I think woodmizer says they have seen some with 15k+ hrs.
Good luck,
kelvin

Kelvin

Oh, the hours i was talking about are for the engine.  The mill itself would take a lot, but the used ones i see out there usually don't have too many.  I'd look for a hydro w/ lower hours, one owner, older is fine.
kp

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.You want a mill that will get straight,that's for sure.One sure way to find out is to cut a board and than stand it on edge on top of the cant.Should not be able to see daylight under it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NHHillbilly!

Lots of good people and info on this site.

I just bought my own, just last year. 
It's a 1995 LT40 Hydraulic with a 24 hp Onan engine.
It had 487 hours on it when I got it and I was the 3rd owner.  It has 892 hours on it right now.
Cost me $15,000.  vs $26,000 for a new one.
I've had real good luck with the mill, last year we sawed 71,000 bf with it.
When you get one, just keep up the preventive maintenance.

So, if you can find a used one at what seems to be a reasonable price, don't be afraid of the hours, as long as it looks like it's been taken good care of.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

The newer/ less hours it is the less you should stick in a maintenance fund.  You can get some good deals on mills with 5,000-10,000 hrs, but you should also be prepared to do plenty of maintenance which will require a pretty substantial maintenance fund.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!